Royal Enfield Thunderbird - Booking Experience

Thread Starter #1
I would like to share my Royal Enfield Thunderbird booking experience with you all.

Biking Experience:
Its been several years riding bikes, because of some reason (allergic to dust and sun). My bullet dream is there for a long time, may be from college days, but during those days the 2 strokes attracted much and I got a Shogun in 1993. And was happily riding it for several years. I also had a very short stint of racing career with this Shogun and participated in a couple of dirt races and TSD rallies in Coimbatore. Okay, those were college days.
Then in 2003, I bought myself a Pulsar 180. Though it was a good bike at that time, I was not much satisfied with the bike and I used this bike very sparingly. And my allergic problem didn't let me to ride this bike in the city traffic. Then I decided to buy a Car. Then I sold my Pulsar after a couple of years. There ends my two wheeler career.

Bullet Bug:
Several years after that, the bullet bug bit me some time last year. This actually happened when I got a chance to visit the Harley museum in Milwaukee on my trip to US. Something was going on my mind after that visit and was asking myself questions like what am I doing? Why did I lost my biking spirits? My allergic issue looked like an excuse for me to be sophisticated. The luxury of the cars took me in a different direction, may be [frustration]. I realized that I am missing something in my life and decided to buy a bike. Then I started following biking forums and websites. I was more keen on Bullets, because I cant afford a Harley at this time. I am not interested in any other bike also, because my intention is to use the bike only for touring purpose. Hence decided to go for a Bullet.

Initially my wife was not happy with my idea of buying a bullet. And she was asking like 'whats wrong with you', 'are you mad' kind of questions, because its been almost 8 to 9 years I quit riding bikes. But finally she kind of agreed like 'get what you want' believing I might not realize my dream. This could happen many a times.

1st Test ride:
Once I decided to buy a Bullet, I had this confusion which many might have had. Whether to buy a Classic or a Thunderbird. Since I liked both in terms of styling and performance, I thought a test ride will help me to decide. Hence I went to the Royal Enfield Brand showroom here in Besent Nagar, Chennai. My wife and kid was accompanying with me. My son was very happy to see many bikes in the showroom and he sat on all the models and was riding burrrrrr. Spoke to the SA about my interest in buying a bullet and took a test ride of both Classic and Thunderbird. I was actually interested in the 500CC, but he had only the 350 cc models. But still I took the test ride, because I wanted to see how comfortable it is for me and whether it will suit to my height and built. (I am 5'7' and medium built). I was happy with both the models and more satisfied with the Thunderbird, because it was more comfortable with better riding position and also the seat height suited me well.
Note: Need to mention, that the test ride bikes were not in a good condition, especially the brakes and the vibration. Not sure how hard is to maintain their own bikes.

2nd Test ride:
By this time I kind of decided to go for a Thunderbird, but still wanted to test ride the 500 cc one. So after the first test ride, I asked SA, when can I test ride the TB500. He said that they have it in the service center and will arrange the following Monday. But the following Monday I was not able to make it and called up the dealer a few days later and made sure the 500 cc is available for test ride and went to the showroom. This time, with some of my colleagues, not with family. Since I was very keen on the Thunderbird, I only took the test ride of TB500 and was very satisfied than the 350 cc. I did felt the power difference and the torque compared to the 350 ones and came out of the showroom with a satisfaction. I told the SA that I will come with my family and make the booking, may be in a weeks time.

Booking day:
On 9th Aug, I went to the showroom with my family and spoke to the SA and said that I want to book a Thunderbird 500. Yes, made my decision to book 500 and don't want to make any compromise and regret later. The SA asked us to wait for a few minutes since he was dealing with other customer. Then he came to us and took the booking. He explained me the terms and conditions especially for the color, since I asked for the matt black color. Agreed. He also told me about the waiting period and booking terms. Since I already knew the waiting period is long, it was not a shock for me. The waiting period he quoted is 6 months, and I am also not in a hurry. Then he went and prepared the booking form and handed over to me, then I signed the form with the feel of happiness inside that I have booked myself a Bullet. [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Congrats on your new Bullet!!

What is the on road price and what discont offers u got?
Thanks Vikyjoshi.
The on-road price comes to 1.8L as of now.
Discount, can we expect RE to provide any with this kind of demand. [;)]

I guess I was pretty out-dated on the Bullet Prices.

I have a 1998 Machismo. it was around 60K when I got it. Last onroad prices of Bullet were around 80K that I was Aware of.

1.8L is like.. Man Enfield cost around 1.8L !!!
But iguess such steep pricing is for 500CC TB. Can you update on the pricing for lower end models? What is the starting price for an Enfield bullet?

BTW I really like the projector/ lights embedded in the main headlight and the exhaust pipe design in the new TB. The Bike does look GRAND!

All the best on your new buy!!! Waiting period is a bit Long but I guess its worth it. "Sabar ka phal Bullet Hota hai."

Congratulation for the Bullet. It is really king of bike in India.
1.8 L [surprise]a lot of money. But the satisfaction will be more I guess.
Actually Bullet has distinctive image on the road.
So now we have to wait for another 6 months for buying experience review. OK let's wait..

Thread Starter #6
I guess I was pretty out-dated on the Bullet Prices.

I have a 1998 Machismo. it was around 60K when I got it. Last onroad prices of Bullet were around 80K that I was Aware of.

1.8L is like.. Man Enfield cost around 1.8L !!!
But iguess such steep pricing is for 500CC TB. Can you update on the pricing for lower end models? What is the starting price for an Enfield bullet?

BTW I really like the projector/ lights embedded in the main headlight and the exhaust pipe design in the new TB. The Bike does look GRAND!

All the best on your new buy!!! Waiting period is a bit Long but I guess its worth it. "Sabar ka phal Bullet Hota hai."
Gone are the days. Now you can't buy any model less than 1L. Below is the approx On-Road price list of new bullets in Chennai. Prices may vary a bit between dealers.

Royal Enfield Classic 350 ~ 1,29,767
Royal Enfield Classic 500 ~ 1,66,397
Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm ~ 1,68,970
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome ~ 1,76,676
Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Twinspark ~ 1,08,615
Royal Enfield Bullet Electra Twinspark ~ 1,21,195
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 ~ 1,41,211
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 ~ 1,79,949

Congratulation for the Bullet. It is really king of bike in India.
1.8 L [surprise]a lot of money. But the satisfaction will be more I guess.
Actually Bullet has distinctive image on the road.
So now we have to wait for another 6 months for buying experience review. OK let's wait..
@amit1km, Thanks for your kind words.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
congrats on your booking skay [:)] now i know why you visited my TB thread [:D]
and really the booking amount and the price is really high.

i bought my TB for 97000 4 years back and my dad just paid the amount and it was delivered to me on the same day after completing all the paperwork.

but 6 months will be worth it. i have ridden the TB500 , matte black , and it really is powerful then my bike ( my bike's is 4 years old lol )

anyways congrats once again [;)]

Thread Starter #8
congrats on your booking skay now i know why you visited my TB thread
and really the booking amount and the price is really high.

i bought my TB for 97000 4 years back and my dad just paid the amount and it was delivered to me on the same day after completing all the paperwork.

but 6 months will be worth it. i have ridden the TB500 , matte black , and it really is powerful then my bike ( my bike's is 4 years old lol )

anyways congrats once again
Thanks AHC. I have been following all bullet threads in the recent past and mentally preparing myself. [:)]
Yes, the prices are gone way up. And definitely its worth the wait.

Congrats Saravana.
500 CC has some fuel injection system instead of carburetor of my 350CC TB. I also was impressed with 500CC but I scared of its size (I am just 168cm height). Now I realize, it is not that hard infact easy as if I am riding my pulsar 150 through the Bangalore city traffic.

Thread Starter #10
Congrats Saravana.
500 CC has some fuel injection system instead of carburetor of my 350CC TB. I also was impressed with 500CC but I scared of its size (I am just 168cm height). Now I realize, it is not that hard infact easy as if I am riding my pulsar 150 through the Bangalore city traffic.
Thanks gns_blr. Yes, I didnt notice any size difference while test riding both the models. In-fact the difference in total weight is just 3 kgs.

Congratulations Skay on your booking! Hope you get the thumper soon, or you got it?
I too have booked a TB350CC (Twilight Blue) yesterday. Waiting period i got is appx 6 to 8 long months.
A local dealer could get it delivered to me in 2 days on a premium of 25k, which i thought was not worth and jumped in the waiting list.

Thread Starter #12
Congratulations Skay on your booking! Hope you get the thumper soon, or you got it?
Thanks Kpaaz. I got the bike delivered on last Thursday only. The delivery process was real smooth and was very much satisfied. I didn't get much chance to ride the bike over the weekend because of rains here in Chennai, Will soon let all know my initial ownership experience.

I too have booked a TB350CC (Twilight Blue) yesterday. Waiting period i got is appx 6 to 8 long months.
A local dealer could get it delivered to me in 2 days on a premium of 25k, which i thought was not worth and jumped in the waiting list.
Congratulations on your booking. I hope it will not take that long for you to get the bike, since the manufacturing capacity of RE has increased with the addition of the new plant. But still the dealers are not promising anything less than 6 months.
I booked in mid August and i got a call in mid October, saying that the bike has come. I was shocked and was not prepared, since I was expecting it to come only in Jan. Then I asked the dealer if they can push one more month, so that I can take in November. They said, it should not be a problem. Then I arranged the payment and made the payment in first week of November and took the delivery on 14th.

Also one of my friend booked CL350 in Sept and he is getting his bike today. So, by looking at the current delivery process of RE, you will be getting it soon.

Thanks Kpaaz. I got the bike delivered on last Thursday only. The delivery process was real smooth and was very much satisfied. I didn't get much chance to ride the bike over the weekend because of rains here in Chennai, Will soon let all know my initial ownership experience.

Congratulations on your booking. I hope it will not take that long for you to get the bike, since the manufacturing capacity of RE has increased with the addition of the new plant. But still the dealers are not promising anything less than 6 months.
I booked in mid August and i got a call in mid October, saying that the bike has come. I was shocked and was not prepared, since I was expecting it to come only in Jan. Then I asked the dealer if they can push one more month, so that I can take in November. They said, it should not be a problem. Then I arranged the payment and made the payment in first week of November and took the delivery on 14th.

Also one of my friend booked CL350 in Sept and he is getting his bike today. So, by looking at the current delivery process of RE, you will be getting it soon.
Skay thats a great news!
Congratulations for your bird, please post some pictures soon.
I am really happy to know that RE is delivering bikes in two months. I hope delivery in mumbai takes the same time too. I am expecting five months tops!

Hi,
Congratulations on your Bullet Booking and the experience you faced is also good i believe. I too booked the Royal Enfield Thunderbird on June 14th 2013 and now i am planning to cancel the booking.
The joy at the time of booking was not fully there at this point of time due to some various reasons. This waiting period is really hurting. The money which i kept for my Thunderbird was invested.

Thread Starter #15
Skay thats a great news!
Congratulations for your bird, please post some pictures soon.
I am really happy to know that RE is delivering bikes in two months. I hope delivery in mumbai takes the same time too. I am expecting five months tops!
Thanks Kpaaz. Will try to post some pictures in the evening. Hopefully you will be getting it sooner than you expect. [:)]

Hi,
Congratulations on your Bullet Booking and the experience you faced is also good i believe. I too booked the Royal Enfield Thunderbird on June 14th 2013 and now i am planning to cancel the booking.
The joy at the time of booking was not fully there at this point of time due to some various reasons. This waiting period is really hurting. The money which i kept for my Thunderbird was invested.
Thanks Ambylovers and sorry to hear that you are going to cancel your booking. My humble advise would be to work out some options to get your bull, cause you should not regret it latter.

Top Bottom