Bike Stops in Heavy Rains

Thread Starter #1
Bike stops in heavy rains. Received the common response of "water mixing with petrol". Thus got the tank flushed and cleaned to avoid it, but problem still persists. What to do?

Bike stops in heavy rains. Received the common response of "water mixing with petrol". Thus got the tank flushed and cleaned to avoid it, but problem still persists. What to do?
Hello and welcome to TAI buddy.. [:)]
Did the bike fall in water?? Please give more details so that you will get appropriate answers..

Dear Character_1,

Please let us know more details of your problem like the make of your motorcycle, since when are you facing this problem, any accident history, etc.

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #4
Sorry for the incomplete information. I own a 10 months old CB twister. Bike skid twice in rains but no major damages so far. Today I faced the same problem when my bike kept stopping & I took it to the SAI Honda Service center. The guy came up with a new thing; he said bike's clutch plate is damaged & needs to be replaced (cost Rs 1200/-). I have already got the tank flushed and the engine is cleaned to avoid water being mixed with petrol. Please let me know of a solution.

Sorry for the incomplete information. I own a 10 months old CB twister. Bike skid twice in rains but no major damages so far. Today I faced the same problem when my bike kept stopping & I took it to the SAI Honda Service center. The guy came up with a new thing; he said bike's clutch plate is damaged & needs to be replaced (cost Rs 1200/-). I have already got the tank flushed and the engine is cleaned to avoid water being mixed with petrol. Please let me know of a solution.
Open the cork where you put oil into the engine from. Test the quality of the oil if it is slimy/creamy flush it, clean the engine bay with petrol/diesel and put new oil again and check. the issue might get resolved.

Flush oil only if it is slimy/creamy. Please check this and let me know if it helped. [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Character_1: Unless you ride like Travis Pastrana, there's no way you could ruin the clutch plate on your Twister in 10 months of ownership. Please get opinion from another service centre before you blow your money. A sure symptom of the clutch plate being worn out is a rise in engine revs (rpm) without a corresponding increase in actual vehicle speed when the throttle is twisted. Is this happening?

As correctly said by Fyzy09, a worn out clutch plate has got nothing to do with the motorcycle stalling during rain. How much effort does it take to start back after it has stalled? Does it run smoothly thereafter or does the engine sputter and jerk?

Thread Starter #9
Hi Sam,

You all are expert in this and I am really obliged to be a part of this group[:)].
Well my bike stalls quite often which happens only during rains. I prefer using kick & the bike starts quickly but then after riding it for few meters it stops again; also I have to accelerate a lot to keep engine running which leads to fuel wastage. Another highlighting part is, in third or fourth gear bike do not catch acceleration and thus it stops. (I have already asked service center guy to fix the clutch plate. is there any way to check whether my clutch plate was the real problem?) Further, this is happening after the bike is serviced twice in a week; still they are charging me for clutch plate.

Okie. When you accelerate, which you said you have to do alot, did you ever feel that there is less fuel reaching the engine?? Also as rightly pointed out by Sam, clutch plates are good for 10K kms so clutch plate issue is ruled out.[:)]

Thread Starter #11
Yes, I feel less fuel is reaching the engine; or else what could be the other reason of bike stalling at 3rd / 4th gear despite of acceleration[confused]

Yes, I feel less fuel is reaching the engine; or else what could be the other reason of bike stalling at 3rd / 4th gear despite of acceleration[confused]
In that case, get your carburetor and the air filter clean. Also check if the water has reached the air filter. This you check you engine oil yet??

Thread Starter #13
I just got my bike from servicing. They have changed the clutch plate and oil. The bike seems to be smooth as every bike does for few hrs after servicing[lol]. I am going for a 10 - 20 Km ride to test if everything is fine. Will share my feed back in while.

Thread Starter #14
Took a 8 km Ride and the bike is running good (servicing effect for few hrs). But it wasn't raining and I am not sure what will happen when I commute next time & it rains. Would you suggest parking bike in open for a night (instead in a shade) to check the rain effects next morning?
Further, I even asked for bike's original clutch plate which was damaged; could see few ware & tare but its obvious that he might have given me some ruined clutch plates.

Took a 8 km Ride and the bike is running good (servicing effect for few hrs). But it wasn't raining and I am not sure what will happen when I commute next time & it rains. Would you suggest parking bike in open for a night (instead in a shade) to check the rain effects next morning?
Further, I even asked for bike's original clutch plate which was damaged; could see few ware & tare but its obvious that he might have given me some ruined clutch plates.
Buddy if the oil is changed and the servicing is done, which has also cleaned your air filter and carb presumably, then I doubt of any more issues with the bike.

Worry only when you have a problem again. Till then go burn some rubber [glasses]

Top Bottom