Need Experts Advice on Buying a Royal Enfield

Thread Starter #1
HI

First of all if I have posted in wrong section then please move it to correct one and I apologize for wrong place.

I am looking to buy used royal enfield in delhi,as i hardly know any thing abt bullet need expert advice on the same,my budget is 50k-60 max. need to know how to check if the bullet worth its price and is common sites like quiker,olx good for purchase.

if any over here want to sell nice condition standard bullet in the same price can contact me.

thanks
Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI

First of all if I have posted in wrong section then please move it to correct one and I apologize for wrong place.

I am looking to buy used royal enfield in delhi,as i hardly know any thing abt bullet need expert advice on the same,my budget is 50k-60 max. need to know how to check if the bullet worth its price and is common sites like quiker,olx good for purchase.

if any over here want to sell nice condition standard bullet in the same price can contact me.

thanks
Please advice.
First of all buying a second hand bullet itself would be a very wonderful experience [:D]

In my case when i owned one and even now when i help someone buying one the first thing i tell them is to be patient and not to go by looks, seriously not to go by looks

*Any bullet you buy make sure you buy a one which is in stock and not modified

*If i were you i would always only buy a standard and in the latest models only till Electra 4S (i:e) all these models i stated would be before 2006, my personal opinion all models which were out after 2006 lack the bullet feel, with Electra 4s being the last having a mix of the classic bullet and more adaptable to urban trend

*When you go to look out for a vehicle even before you go meet the person confirm the following things :

No of owner ( always better to keep it below 3)
If re-painted ( always prefer to go for the stock paint)
Insurance ( one who doesn't really care about this might have a average/less maintained bike.. my perception)
Check about his regular mechanic too ( The mechanic's reputation is very important if he had given it to many mechanics, god knows the status of OEM parts inside )

*After checking on the above points when you are ready to inspect ask the person to get the original RC, Insurance and his TC if it a second hand buy by him to get it inspected

*Make sure you start a cold engine and idle it for some 10-20 seconds and hear for any suspicious noises from the engine

*Drive through in all gears for some 3-5 more seconds than the actual cut and check for any changes in behavior of the engine

* After a long drive atleast 6- 10 Kms after your test drive when you stop let the engine ideal and try to accel, check if engine chokes and switches off with a smoke

*From a stand still a very good engine/well maintained/service engine can move from 3 rd gear

*one out of the box trick try closing the silencer with some object, if the engine can breath through for more then 10-15 secs its a good engine and not an exhausted/ripped one

*If possible drive over hill or steep areas and check for any change in behaviour

*There should be a crisp and neat beat from the exhaust and no bursts

*There should be no oil leaks from the head after the drive

* Gear shifts should be smooth and soft and should go in one go without any drama

Its very hard to find a bullet with all these but i had found one and used it for more than 7 years before i sold it and even know i help my friends and known people to see if i can help them with a good bike

If you are going for a worn out/ripped bike make sure the book is clear and buy it for not more than 20K as the expenses of all replacement and painting would easily touch 40K, get in touch with a bullet mechanic far away from your place and take him for an inspection before you finalise a deal to see his take and even if he doesn't like it give the buyer a token and confirm the deal so as to check with another mechanic later, as mechanics are smart and clever that if they find a good bike they may pay 5k more than your deal and buy it to sell it later for a good profit

Many a times you would be blown off by the beauty and the beat of a bullet, but be cautious to know if its really worth it

All the very best for your search [;)]

*If i were you i would always only buy a standard and in the latest models only till Electra 4S (i:e) all these models i stated would be before 2006, my personal opinion all models which were out after 2006 lack the bullet feel, with Electra 4s being the last having a mix of the classic bullet and more adaptable to urban trend
@Swift&furious, I am planning to buy one in the near future, and I don't want to go for used bike. Can you please explain what is missing in the new models from the old ones. I feel that the classic has a good road presence and thump like the old bullets.

*one out of the box trick try closing the silencer with some object, if the engine can breath through for more then 10-15 secs its a good engine and not an exhausted/ripped one
Can you please elaborate this point. I thought that the moment you block the exhaust, the engine will switch off.

If you are going for a worn out/ripped bike make sure the book is clear and buy it for not more than 20K as the expenses of all replacement and painting would easily touch 40K, get in touch with a bullet mechanic far away from your place and take him for an inspection before you finalise a deal to see his take and even if he doesn't like it give the buyer a token and confirm the deal so as to check with another mechanic later, as mechanics are smart and clever that if they find a good bike they may pay 5k more than your deal and buy it to sell it later for a good profit
Yeah, giving a good lead to the mechanics, it happens sometimes.

@Swift&furious, I am planning to buy one in the near future, and I don't want to go for used bike. Can you please explain what is missing in the new models from the old ones. I feel that the classic has a good road presence and thump like the old bullets.
Ok most of us would love the retro and just because they are retro and classic, the rebirth of retro in this case is done to make business and adapting to the market conditions/competition and with new age customers in mind, i don't blame that the new classic is bad but i would say its not a piece of cake for almost all the ex-bulleters and the reason being said is the feel and impact, to elaborate this well in detail the old bullet had a 6VDC electrical s and the one now are more advanced and have a self start, most say its convenience but nothing like giving a solid kick for a start on a Dec morning :stupid:

The new age classic somewhere tries to parallel itself with HD but the old aged RE was a bullet which had set is own stand and would stand out from the rest of the crowd, but the current classic lacks that feel its just another bike in the stands.

something which i feel, and its my view totally[;)]

Certain things of the new generation classic make it loose it original feel and feels like a custom tuned bullet for urban crowd, nothing wrong it as is said earlier it gives the company more customers, business and carry around the brand image well, but on this journey something is lost and they could have retained the standard atleast for certain enthusiasts by not loosing it our completely, ask the bullet loyalists they would say you more

Can you please elaborate this point. I thought that the moment you block the exhaust, the engine will switch off.
A well set engine, for say any driven more than 20-25K with proper oil changes and service, a well maintained engine with less stress given would pass this test easily, any dead engine would fail this test as its a stressed engine and cannot breath for more than 2-5 seconds

Yeah, giving a good lead to the mechanics, it happens sometimes.
Yes it does happen and i have experience it a couple of times and later the mechanic had a [embarass] face to show to us

Last edited:
Thanks for a very detailed explanation. I certainly understand the feel of old Bulleteer. It is my dream to own a bullet from my school days, but I didn't had a chance so far. But somehow the passion kicked me again after a very long time and decided to go for it.

My decision of buying a bullet is finalized, but which one? [confused]
I know the old bullets are always good to own, but in the current situation it is very hard to find a good mechanic to restore a old bullet. And most importantly, you need a lot of time and patience to find and restore a bullet. Also I have a fear of left brake and right gears pattern.

If I want to buy a new one, I have to choose between the Classic and Thunderbird. I liked both these bike in terms of styling. I tried riding Classic recently and it was not bad, but still need to take an extensive test ride. Also I need to try my hands on the TB as well. I will be able to decide after that.

Do you have any words for the new Thunderbird?

Last edited:
HI

thanks

Hi Nitin,

as per my known knowledge, delhi is a ideal place to get hold of a second hand bullet, try the Karol Bagh Market (but beware of Conmen), also one sharmaji in pahargang area, plus lots in Jama Masjid area, Army disposal's also.

do take a trusted mech., as bullets are quite a handfull, if you get the wrong bike.

all the best

Vinod

Thanks for a very detailed explanation. I certainly understand the feel of old Bulleteer. It is my dream to own a bullet from my school days, but I didn't had a chance so far. But somehow the passion kicked me again after a very long time and decided to go for it.

My decision of buying a bullet is finalized, but which one? [confused]
I know the old bullets are always good to own, but in the current situation it is very hard to find a good mechanic to restore a old bullet. And most importantly, you need a lot of time and patience to find and restore a bullet. Also I have a fear of left brake and right gears pattern.

If I want to buy a new one, I have to choose between the Classic and Thunderbird. I liked both these bike in terms of styling. I tried riding Classic recently and it was not bad, but still need to take an extensive test ride. Also I need to try my hands on the TB as well. I will be able to decide after that.

Do you have any words for the new Thunderbird?
If i were you and had to pick between classic and Thunderbird i would go for classic at least because it has the frame of the old bullet and Thunderbird has a frame of en field lightning with a feel of short length when compared to the classic

My above views are based on looks though on performance you can definitely vouch on Thunderbird

I know its confusing but all the very best for whatever model u pick because finally your gonna drive the one which you love the most [:D]

If i were you and had to pick between classic and Thunderbird i would go for classic at least because it has the frame of the old bullet and Thunderbird has a frame of en field lightning with a feel of short length when compared to the classic

My above views are based on looks though on performance you can definitely vouch on Thunderbird

I know its confusing but all the very best for whatever model u pick because finally your gonna drive the one which you love the most [:D]
Yeah, it is a confusing situation, because I like both the models. I am 5'7" and medium built. Just thinking which will suit my height. I will be using this as my riding bike, not a commute bike. I think Thunderbird will be more comfortable in long rides, because its seat position and handle are designed as a cruiser bike. Fingers crossed. I'll take a test ride soon of both models and see how I fell. Will keep you posted.

Top Bottom