Bajaj Pulsar 150 Headlamp Upgrade Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
For better brightness, installed avenger 180 coil (Part No: DV111005) in my pulsar 150 dtsi ug1 with self start. I put one TVS 55w/60 H4 bulb with stock wiring and holder. within one month, the holder meleted. Mechanic told that it was due to heavy load and the bulb was chinese one rebranded as TVS. So I repaced thicker wires and H4 holder used in cars. Also gave the spare bulb of my Santro Xing (Halonix). Was working fine for 3 moths. Then suddenly, the low beam stopped working, then high beam also stopped working. The Mechanic told it was problem with the wiring and he replaced the wires.The same bulb was used. But within a week, the problem resurfaced, the low beam stopped working and high beam was flickering.Last saturday, when i started it to take to the mechanic, there was burning smell and smoke started coming out from near the battery. I belive something shorted. So Disconnected the battery and later, smoke subsided. but burnt smell is still there. Mechanic tells that rats might be the culprit. There were similar instances before in the flat where I live. He asked me to take it to Bajaj ASS and get it checked and replace wiring Harness completely.Had a very bad experience with Popular Bajaj,Kakkanad. So am a bit hesitant to give it to them. Any other options in Cochin ? What else could be done ?

One thing I noticed after disconnecting the battery is that High Beam and Low Beam are working perfectly. Self start, Indicators and Horn are not working, but I am able to ride the bike. The horn is an aftermarket one(pair for Roots Windtone) connected to battery.
Please help.

Re: Help required for Electrical issue

Though I haven't tested it, it does seem that the Avenger's coil is generating more amperage than what the 150s wiring harness could handle. Revert to the original coil. There's no point in such upgrades if they jeopardise the vehicle's reliability. Other thing could be to change the wiring harness to that of he Avenger 180 but doing this reliably is beyond the scope of any roadside mechanic.

@Sadhu

Welcome to TAI !!

I will blame you for everything buddy !! I really wonder why people go ahead doing such DIY without consulting the manufacturers[surprise]

As I know Bajaj vehicles lighting is the best in the market when you compare the others like Honda,Suzuki. It is proven fact with their scooters and bikes too, so there is no need to for such changes.

If in case you felt your bikes light is less, then you would have gone to the Bajaj service and taken their suggestion on what needs to be done. Now nothing is left except visit the Bajaj service guys and tell them the whole story what you did and probably they will setup the stock electrical system of your bike again back, pay them and get it done and at the same time ask them for a suggestion on improving the lighting[:)]

Thread Starter #4

@Gurrala74
Thank you for welcoming me to TAI and for your suggestions.
Will take my bike to Bajaj ASS today.
For the DIY, I got inspired by BCM touring and went ahead, My mistake [:)]
Increase Bajaj Pulsar’s headlight intensity by 170%! - BCMTouring
The Headlight thread: Brighter, Stronger...! - Page 107 - BCMTouring
But I would like to tell you that the light on my Pulsar 150 Dtsi ug1 (35w/35) was very weak and was of very little use in highways and at night.So went ahead with the mod.

@Sadhu

I understand your enthusiasm for DIY, but beware all the time that you need to have complete information that what you are going to do and its effects.

We need to respect manufacturers set up always as they spend years together while designing anything and with lot of product tests, so it is always better to stick to the stock things.

Believe me I drove lot of Pulsars in the night to villages and always felt its lighting is excellent than other Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha bikes. There must be some problem with your bikes lighting, so you would have visited a Bajaj service and get clarified in first place

I advice you to check the lighting coil(Placed in the magnet bell).If you ask your mechanic to remove them and take it to the coil winding shop he will check the condition of the coil.

The first thing you should have done to your bike was the alternator upgrade after changing the coil.

Thread Starter #7
Got my bike serviced along with Wiring harness change at Bajaj ASS,Cochin. Total bill came upto Rs 5500.

Replaced Avenger 180 coil (DV111005) with my stock coil which came along with P150UG1. The cost breakup:

Wiring Harness-Self Start(DJ201245)- Rs 1300,
wiring harness replacement (labour) -Rs 300,
Regulator(DJ201016)-Rs 360
Fuse Box.SAP-0199 (A30201060)-Rs60

Rs. 5500[surprise]!! Did they gold plate your Pulsar?

Anyways its good that you have reverted to the original coil. As Confucious said "Low light, better than no light."

Do post some snaps of your Pulsar and maybe you'd want to compose an ownership review on TAI.

Top Bottom