Royal Enfield Thunderbird Booking Cancellation Experience in Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
Please excuse my writing skills as I am not so good in it. The following is happened accidently and now I look forward for the opinion from forum members. I know that the distinguished members will extend their help towards me to take appropriate decision.

It all started in the month of May 2012. Me and my friend was searching used bikes websites for a used Royal Enfield which my friend was so passionate about. We have searched many post and have made many calls to select one but unfortunately he wasn't pleased with any of them. Since he was so passionate, I thought of playing a trick to make him purchase a new one instead of wasting time by searching for a used one.

So it was the day, the Good Friday a holiday for me and my friend working in two extremely opposite locality in Bangalore. We both went in search for Enfield showrooms and visited two showrooms in Bangalore in that day. We enquired for both Electra and Thunderbird and was told that the waiting period would be around 4 to 6 months in Bangalore for both the models. Though I was interested in Classic, we changed decision because of long waiting period for Classic. After visiting showroom, we came back to home and he seems bit confused as he felt uneasy with the dealers far from his place.

So, to make him purchase, I just told him that I too wanted to book a thunderbird which made him confident and we both went back to showroom and booked two bullets (one Electra and a Thunderbird) with waiting period 4 to 6 months. I was sure that I will cancel my booking later once he get delivery of Electra.

Since the showroom was so close to my office, I made numerous visit to enquire about the status of Electra and because of my frequent visit, they made it ready exactly after 4 months. As agreed , we got the Electra on September 2012 and we both went and took delivery of same immediately after making full payment to the dealer.
The real drama has started here.... As mentioned above, I was made up to cancel my booking(thunderbird) after delivery of my friend's Electra, I went and filled the cancellation form on 16th of September 2012. I was assured that my booking amount will be credited to my account automatically after 20 working days which I agreed as I was shifting from Bangalore for few months time.

Actually I forgotten about this as those days were busy with lots of outstations works and failed to follow up for the payment for first 3months. I was in an impression that the amount will be crediting to my account in time but that never happened till today...

After three months, I came back to Bangalore and went to the showroom to inform them about non-receipt of booking amount which paid to them around 7 months back. The answer was like "sorry sir, We could not process your request in time but be rest assured payment in another 7 days time". I again did not do follow up by trusting them completely that was a mistake from my end. Waited around two weeks, and visited them again on a Sunday and their response was like, "Sir, today our Manager is not available, please drop your contact number for him to contact you within two days". I gave my mobile number and came back.
But I was totally disappointed as I never got a call from them regarding this. Since I started to feel like being cheated, I went again there 10 days back and had a heated argument with them. But those girls were helpless as their manager wasn't available even that working day. After heated arguments for 1 - 1.5 hours, I came back with assurance to get refund within another two days.
I have waited around ten days and went back yesterday to their place to meet their manager personally. Fortunately or unfortunately he was their in their showroom and was responding to my query in such a way that it was my mistake that I did not do follow up with them from the beginning.
Our arguments went for more than two hours and he gave assurance to pay the amount in 7 days time which was not acceptable to me because of earlier experience. I stood adamant for instant settlement else I was thinking to approach Consumer court to help me for refund for mental/physical/financial agonies I have experienced from them. To find a solution without legal formalities, I gave them another two options either to deliver me a new Thunderbird in 7 days or a classic in twenty days. He was not willing to accept this at the beginning but finally he is now agreed to deliver me a all new thunderbird350 in 7 days time.

Here I would like the forum members to post your opinion about the incident. I have three options now,
1. Take delivery of bike after 7 days
2. try luck by waiting another 7 days for refund as assured by manager
3. Go to legal formalities and try to negotiate for the losses incurred.

I did not mention the name of dealer because I believe that there are still peaceful remedy for this.

Now, could you guys please post your valuable inputs to this. Do you think this is normal with all the Royal Enfield dealers or is it purposely done at the dealer end by presuming that I had to shift from Bangalore?

Your inputs will definitely help me to take a good decision to end the dilemma happening around for last few months.

Disgusting to see such attitude from dealers towards their customer.

If you are really interested in picking up the bike then go ahead and take the delivery(please do a proper PDI before the delivery),but if you are doing it just to come out of this dirty situation please don't,you have all the rights to get your money back.

Either way please do approach the MD or the proprietor of the dealer and take it in writing.

Its very disheartening to here that. Didnt know Enfield dealers used to trick customers like this. Also, if I were you, then I would have surely mentioned the dealers name without hesitation after all this drama.
Anyways, if you really want the bike. Then go for it. Or else fight with them to get your money back. You have all the rights to get it back.

Thread Starter #4
If you are really interested in picking up the bike then go ahead and take the delivery(please do a proper PDI before the delivery),but if you are doing it just to come out of this dirty situation please don't,you have all the rights to get your money back.
Actually I was determined to fight with them when I went there. But, after reaching there I was made to sit around 15 - 20 minutes because their manager was not in office. While waiting for him we happened to see the all new thunderbird on display and to be frank, it took away my attention in two minutes time. This made me to think about giving try for a negotiation for early delivery of TBTS which he accepted now. Hopefully I can take my new TBTS on Feb-10 as I am going out of Bangalore till that date....

Thanks for you guys to put your suggestions here...

I think it is better to go for option 1 or 2. Option 3 will take ages to come out with verdict. And if you want you can have your new Thunderbird as well. [clap]

@gns

My sympathy to you for such a pathetic treatment, but now which is more beneficial to you ??

Simple already your 7 months time wasted with them, hence no need for you to waste some more time, so I feel the following

1. If you are impressed with the bike, then take it, but do proper PDI as told by Visran as the manager may try playing some dirty with the bike as he is angry with you.
2. If not tell them to return the money and also threaten that if you go to consumer court then they will have to pay lot of money as interest and also tell them you will go the the owner of the dealership(if you want it is not a big deal to get the contact details of the owner and most of the times owners never want to have bad name for their dealership)
3. Also threaten the manager and tell him that he will go to the Enfield HQ and report this issue.
4. Tell them you are going to press and a nice article will come in local news paper next day, then you see their owner come in running to you(This works as I did this with one of the Maruti dealer in Hyderabad)

So all of can fight thru consumer court but, we loose lot of time doing so that should be the final option according to me. I wish that you have peace very soon[:)]

Thread Starter #8
Yep,
Probably I will get my dream bike in few days. I am just coming from the showroom. Their manager informed me to make the payment on this Saturday so that they can deliver the bike upon conformation on cheque clearance.

Can't wait now.... so anxious to take delivery soon....[frustration]

Last edited:
Yep,
Probably I will get my dream bike in few days. I am just coming from the showroom. Their manager informed me to make the payment on this Saturday so that they can deliver the bike upon conformation on cheque clearance.

Can't wait now.... so anxious to take delivery soon....[frustration]
A big congrats on buying a thunderbird, i would surely want to meet you once you have the bike in your hand.

Sorry to hear this friend!

As per my experience, You need to take a written committment not verbal in these type of cases. Once they committed you in written, manager has to suffer then or you got the RE TBTS. Since you have already suffer the time that they have already given you 7, 10 days etc.

See still if you can manage the written committment on email from them that will be great, if not then simply dial the Police control room & ask them for help and demand the money back with interest (after seven days). They will surely listen you once Police mens are in their showroom and try to convenyence other customers that dont buy RE bikes from this dealer in front of them.

Believe me I have tried this method and it works. Its simply a case of fraud under IPC.

I have the similer experience like this last year.

Yes I am agree with points that have mentioned by Gurralla 74.

Many automobile companies are not working their core values expect premium brands in india (except maruti at some extent)...and this is very dissappointing for people like us who are very enthusiast for automobile.

Regards,
Aditaya

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #11
Sorry to hear this friend!

As per my experience, You need to take a written committment not verbal in these type of cases. Regards,
Aditaya
Thank you Mr. Adithya,
I already have a written commitment from him. I got the booking form corrected by the manager specifying "the vehicle will be delivered on first/second weak of February 2013". Apart from that, since my office is close to their showroom I have easy access to him and do follow up continuously to keep them on nail.

And for your information, I am getting this bike bit early due to that incident/mistake happened from their end. People booked TB along with me are still in waiting and I saw many of them coming to showroom to enquire about status of their booking. At least I am a bit lucky in that way isn't it?[embarass]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Hmmmm Finally it is confirmed.[clap]
Got a call from dealer to submit DD tomorrow so that they can deliver me my dream bike on Friday. Decided to arrange DD tomorrow and go their showroom afternoon for a PDI. Vehicle has already reached it seems.[:D]

Thread Starter #14
Can someone help me to decode the VIN number of Thunderbird?
Can somebody post one latest VIN code of thunderbird and explain what those letters stands for?

I haven't received any VIN number as of now. If my query appears as childish, please bare with it as I am in a mood like a kid presented with his new favorite toy.[lol]

Hi Gns

1) Firstly I would strongly reccomend you to come out with the name of the dealer on this forum - we all are friends on this forum and it might cetainly help somebody to avoid such a uselss dealer in your city

2) Secondly are you really thinking that you are getting the bike early - Infact in my opinion you have already wasted 7-8 months in the overall process which would have been in any case the waiting period in normal case - Please correct me if i am wrong?

3) If you have finalised finally to take the Bike as the best option, please be ware of the delaership & its services in the future - I mean i might be exaggerating, but you never know how these guys would treat you with the sales & after sales service in the future, when you already had some heated arguments with the manager

Top Bottom