A Question to RIDERS - What Really Makes Riding Special??

Thread Starter #1
Today was a day spent riding..riding to everywhere from home to college to office and finally a good 60+ kms long riding trip with a friend[;)]
Eh..what a fantastic day it was, for no reason today I decided to take the bike, hehe a suited guy on a Pulsar 220 - sounds weird? Eh, it is.
But after experiencing it all, I just tried to pen it down without thinking of grammar and all..just penned it down the way I felt it..
Rider is the word that defines me...
The raw movement of things in front of your eyes, the air passing through your hairs and the absence of anything except a couple of clothes between the air..err.. wind and your body makes riding that special...the sense of occasion one gets while riding good empty highways at moderate speeds enjoying the scenic beauty of nature and man made marvels makes riding a special affair..special enough that it simply goes in a league of it's own..a league which is unmatched in itself...
On twisty hilly roads the leaning of your bike on every turn makes you lose yourself into an experience where you and your bike are no more two bodies but both are a single body with rider being the soul...Eh..out of words I am..all I know at the end is that I am a rider by heart..
The feeling of air striking your body, the feeling when the power starts building up with a twist of your right arm, the feeling when the girl sitting behind you tried to keep away but then you press the brake lever even harder and she simply gets pushed even harder towards you[glasses], the feeling when you have to lean yourself to take that perfect turn, the feeling when you know there is nothing like any metal cocoon or glasses between you and the world...CAN A CAR GIVE THIS FEELING?? Eh..never...
These feelings have finally turned me into a rider....Yes..I am a RIDER..now and forever..
  • Okay guys, how do you define biking?
    [*]Have you ever made any memorable biking trip?
    [*]Are you planning a biking trip in future?
    [*]Any experiences to share?

I am not really a biker but have ridden some cool bikes of late. The best feeling is the thrill of the acceleration that I get while riding it or even being pillon. I actually dont mind being a pillon since I am not that eager for biking myself.

My most memorable biking trip has to be from Bangkok to Pattaya and back. It was a 3 day trip. We stayed in Pattaya for 2 nights. While going to Pattaya, we touched 198 kph. While coming back, we touched 200 kph. All this was done on a Ducati Monster 795. [:D]

Not any time soon but with car there could be one coming up soon.

Most epic moment was when I was driving a Hayabusa and i somehow forgot to look at fuel needle. It ran out of fuel. I had to stop in middle of road and I slowly dragged it on side of road. Hayabusa takes a considerable amount of space so cars overtaking me had to change lanes. Police came to me to get fine but when they saw the Busa, they left me alone!! They even offered to help me push the bike to the nearest pump!! [clap]

Thread Starter #4
I like the wind in the hair and the the superb feedback and pickup of the bike.
No doubt, I even find it soothing, more of like a mental therapy because when in lot of tension I just ride and it helps.
The feeling of power building up with the twist of right hand is really beyond words but one needs to really feel it to really enjoy it.

My most memorable biking trip has to be from Bangkok to Pattaya and back. It was a 3 day trip. We stayed in Pattaya for 2 nights. While going to Pattaya, we touched 198 kph. While coming back, we touched 200 kph. All this was done on a Ducati Monster 795. [:D]
I for once experienced such speeds(around 170..not any more) on a Suzuki Bandit on NH-8, these machines are simply fantastic..Handling a high-displacement bike(whether sports or tourer) is something which can't be really explained in words, it can be only felt and enjoyed. Eh..magical moments they are.

Not any time soon but with car there could be one coming up soon.
I guess these bikes must be much less priced there unlike what we pay here after paying 100%+ import duties.

Most epic moment was when I was driving a Hayabusa and i somehow forgot to look at fuel needle. It ran out of fuel. I had to stop in middle of road and I slowly dragged it on side of road. Hayabusa takes a considerable amount of space so cars overtaking me had to change lanes. Police came to me to get fine but when they saw the Busa, they left me alone!! They even offered to help me push the bike to the nearest pump!!
Here in India the constable will come to you and ask you about bike, in fact many more people will ask about it and then get some pics of themselves clicked with the bike and leave but none will offer a helping hand!![lol]

Where are other bikers on TAI??

Okay guys, how do you define biking?
Biking is the only thing that brings a grin smile on my face, whenever I drive it. The wind flowing and hitting your body. It is only on Bike that you experience the Nature.

Have you ever made any memorable biking trip?
Many. Once I have driven 550KM starting from 10 PM at night till next day eve 6 PM. We had biker club in my last company. We used to make great trips together. Unfortunately when they did Goa and Leh-Ladakh trip I was in UK. [cry]

Are you planning a biking trip in future?
Not sure, because I dont have my bike with me now. I have Access 125. But If I buy bike in Future, I will surely make a Leh-Ladakh trip.

Any experiences to share?
Each bike ride is different experience in itself. There were many situation where I would have died on the spot. [evil]. But the biker in me is still there although in Hibernate mode. [clap]

Thread Starter #6
Okay guys, how do you define biking?
Biking is the only thing that brings a grin smile on my face, whenever I drive it. The wind flowing and hitting your body. It is only on Bike that you experience the Nature.
I never knew that even you are also a biker by heart..Eh, you are full of surprises buddy!![clap]

Many. Once I have driven 550KM starting from 10 PM at night till next day eve 6 PM. We had biker club in my last company. We used to make great trips together. Unfortunately when they did Goa and Leh-Ladakh trip I was in UK. [cry]
A biking trip to Ladakh is on my cards too, a must do trip it is. Have been there by car but whenever I talk to people who have been there on bikes then I am left searching for words and experiences to tell them when they tell theirs.

Not sure, because I dont have my bike with me now. I have Access 125. But If I buy bike in Future, I will surely make a Leh-Ladakh trip.
Buddy buy a bike..in fact why buy? There is a 220 of yours here.. Why not plan a TAIans biking trip to Ladakh this year?? If out of time this year then next..but one trip is meant to be done.

Each bike ride is different experience in itself. There were many situation where I would have died on the spot. . But the biker in me is still there although in Hibernate mode. [clap]
Leaving the hibernation point I agree on both others, in fact the points mentioned just add more to the charm of biking around.

Here are two pics(just wrote the above written lines(by me) on two pics!!)/
1 (3).JPG
2 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Vipul, fantastic post and superbly narrated your experience.
Bike,waving thru the air with the ups and downs of speed, being with just yourself and the machine, going thru the quill, making it you tobe yourself at those thee.
Some amazing memories you brought back with your post with life was with myself, biking up the streets, many long drives that were made right from my hero honda splendour days to current bajaj pulsar 150cc.will share some memories of those trips and Riding.[clap]

I rejoice the moment i spent on my bullet during pleasant rains from my farm to my house which is 26Kms one side, i would cruise @ 40Kmph and the thump all the way and the heavenly rain and the feel of wet road, the smell of the mud is something similar to divine ecstasy

Though I miss the bike rides now, every time I see a rider with a joy in his face accompanied by a pleasant weather I feel envious of him as he is staying somewhat closer to nature, might sound foolish but it’s a feel which can only be felt and hard to be described

Thread Starter #9
Vipul, fantastic post and superbly narrated your experience.
Bike,waving thru the air with the ups and downs of speed, being with just yourself and the machine, going thru the quill, making it you tobe yourself at those thee.
Well, bike is like us having only 2 legs and hence the mind of rider becomes the mind of bike when it is being ridden. Agility and being direct in everything gives bike that special character which no car ever have. Eh..which car ever had a handle which was directly connected to wheels?
Eh..the line you wrote is fantastic 'being with just yourself and machine'!!

Some amazing memories you brought back with your post with life was with myself, biking up the streets, many long drives that were made right from my hero honda splendour days to current bajaj pulsar 150cc.will share some memories of those trips and Riding.
Waiting to read those moments.

I rejoice the moment i spent on my bullet during pleasant rains from my farm to my house which is 26Kms one side, i would cruise @ 40Kmph and the thump all the way and the heavenly rain and the feel of wet road, the smell of the mud is something similar to divine ecstasy
What a fantastic piece of writing that was!! I guess all of us have a biker hidden somewhere inside our heart.
BTW, riding during rain is also fun, especially when the bike is an RE..it's thumps are just fantastic and feel even better when riding lone.

Though I miss the bike rides now, every time I see a rider with a joy in his face accompanied by a pleasant weather I feel envious of him as he is staying somewhat closer to nature, might sound foolish but it’s a feel which can only be felt and hard to be described
100% agreed on last line, I spent around one month riding in 2012 and from the very same time I am biased towards riding..there are a lot of feelings which we are robbed off while driving a car.

Thread Starter #11
@Dharmesh:
That's great..BTW, you have gained a lot of weight, really. In fact looking a lot different than the Dharmesh we see these days.
BTW, are you the guy on a caliber in second pic?? This one:
1.JPG

Thanks Vipul for this wonderful thread.

This thread took me back to 1999-2000, when I bought my first bike, Kawasaki Bajaj Aspire. Though proving itself to be a market dud, it did leave us with some refreshing memories to cherish always.

I was based in Panchgani those days and we, me and my friend [now my wife] [:)]were blessed to have started our career there. With the new member on board, the Rider Aspire thanks to the fresh air and invigorating climate, those four years did make one of the most wonderful and distinct portion of life. Those days we used to have relaxed rides on those curvaceous roads between Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar and Wai.

During monsoons, Panchgani-Mahabaleswar owns a very charm of its own. We still remember those wonderful moments when we drove through those foggy, invisible and wet roads on our way to the favorite Sidney point, Parsi point and Table land and some occasional drive down to Dom Dam via Wai.The Rider Aspir also witnessed the very best Raas Garba Dance at nights During Dasara.

The Rider Aspire handled all those roads extremely well and the sheer power and very good braking, thanks to those Discs, were confidence inspiring, the FE was very poor though. That gave us the confidence to take one of the very bold decisions taken in my life – A two Day drive from Panchgani to Kerala via Mangalore on NH-17 with the Rider Aspire.[clap]

Will certainly be getting a good rider, once am settled down, back in India.

Well, bike is like us having only 2 legs and hence the mind of rider becomes the mind of bike when it is being ridden. Agility and being direct in everything gives bike that special character which no car ever have. Eh..which car ever had a handle which was directly connected to wheels?
Eh..the line you wrote is fantastic 'being with just yourself and machine'!!

100% agreed on last line, I spent around one month riding in 2012 and from the very same time I am biased towards riding..there are a lot of feelings which we are robbed off while driving a car.
You are correct mate, and as you said most of them are biased with riding, sometimes when there are no one at home(probably when they are out of station) I used to go to the fuel pump, fuel my bullet for 500INR and just get lost in some part near my rural area within a diameter close to 50 kms and i end up finding something new(landscapes, routes, temples and what not[lol], but this habit is something which had been active from childhood but during those days it was on cycles with close friends within a dia of 10KMS which gave a feeling of happiness and a sense of some achievement stupid me @ that age i felt now, but you know what the same habit from childhood has still carried on but right now love to do it alone, and that fun can only be enjoyed only on 2 wheels.

Nice to see people around, with same thoughts, happy riding/thumping and wishing you a safe ride [;)]

how do you define biking?
Dharmesh explained my words correctly:).

So many, during my college days,I've done so many long trips in my Bike(Glamour 2005 model). But, after got a job I mostly travel between Vellore and Chennai(135Km) that too non-stop[:D].

This happened During the end of 2011: Once I reached Chennai from Vellore, my bike started to choke, I don't know why, then checked with a nearby mechanic shop. Mechanic found there was no Oil in engine so the engine was about to seize. I asked him to fill the oil, but no use. My bike was able to run, but not properly. I checked with HeroHonda service station. the service engineer asked me to overhaul the engine and Quoted 14K for my Bike. As I always do service at Vellore, I decided to overhaul the engine at Vellore. But, the SE said that my bike would not go for at-least 20Kms continuously :(.

But, I decided to check my bike capacity. once my office completed around 10:30pm on friday, I top-uped the Petrol for Rs.300 at Chennai & headed towards Vellore. That was a Solo trip, Mostly I ride my Bike in NH for 80-90Km/hr. But, that day I was not able to exceeded 50Km/hr. when I was nearing to Kanchipuram, there was a heavy rain, nothing was visible. but, I continued the ride. at one point I was not able to ride & my bike also chocked a lot. then I stopped at a tea shop & had a tea. Believe me guys, I was not able to hold the tea glass properly, My hands are shivering in cold & I was fully wet. Mostly I reach Vellore from Chennai in 2Hrs. but, that day I reached Vellore at 3:00am(totally 4:30Hrs). after reaching Vellore my love increased a lot with my bike & I can't forget that Solo trip in night with a engine seize bike at Heavy rain[glasses]

Here is the Pic of my Glamour:)
kk.jpg

Planning to buy ThunderBird, once I brought the bike, I'll try to do Leh trip.

On the third Day of Galmour, my dad & myself went to some shops in Two bikes (dad in Splendor, myself in Glamour). At a small slope, my dad applied breaks and stopped to speak with his friend there, but myself watched two girls on the road, so didn't noticed my Dad, so I directly hit my Dad's splendor. The carrier rod of splendor broken my Glamour's headlight :(

Immediately I started to react and asked my dad, why he applied breaks. then he replied " I need to ask the Question, but you are asking to me [:D]"

That incident I'll never forget in my life.

Last edited:
"Air in the hair", as TSIVipul and TFF said is why I like riding a bike(as a pillion-No license). But not much air can touch the hair when a helmet is strapped and without it, I have not enjoyed air in hair for long time(No long drives without safety equipment). [;)]

Top Bottom