New Macho Scooter From Yamaha - Ray Z

Thread Starter #1
2013 looks like becoming the year of the scooter in the Indian two-wheeler market. We only just brought you news of veteran scooter maker Bajaj working towards fine tuning an all-new exciting scooter, and know that Vespa will shortly launch another 125cc scooter. Honda meanwhile just launched their revised Activa, Aviator and Dio scooters with a freshly engineered, 109cc, Honda Eco Technology (HET) enabled engine. All of which has the scooter segment basking in the limelight, with every other manufacturer striving overtime to keep pace with the booming market growth, to establish their footprint in the space before others.

Yamaha hasn’t really been missing out on much action here, having recently launched the Ray, a 113cc, automatic transmission scooter in late 2012. The Ray targets the fairer sex, but here’s further confirmation Yamaha are now on the verge of introducing a larger, all-new and macho automatic scooter, in a bid to make deeper inroads into our scooter market.

It’s still early days, with Yamaha staying mum on the subject, but do expect to see contemporary, angular and sharp styling on this new Yamaha scooter, that will grab the attention of male buyers looking for automatic scooters. In keeping with their DNA, we do expect the new Yamaha scooter to score high on performance as well as handling, proving to make a zippy and attractive scooter option to ride in India. The new Yamaha scooter is expected to come equipped with telescopic fork front suspension, with a features list at par with scooters currently on sale in India. Yamaha’s latest scooter will house a four-stroke, single-cylinder and air-cooled engine displacing in the region of 125cc, offering the conveniences of an electric starter and automatic transmission. Expect this engine to offer slightly more power than provided by the Ray.

There currently exists a blank in the scooter market that no manufacturer has addressed, with several seasoned motorcyclists looking for a powerful, able handling automatic scooter, and it’s exactly this segment Yamaha’s upcoming new scooter will target.

Yamaha plans to launch this exciting new scooter by around mid 2013.

SCOOP! Yamaha to launch new scooter | News | Autocar India

Re: SCOOP! Yamaha to launch macho scooter

Would be interesting to see what 'macho' means in Yamaha's language... [lol]

Re: SCOOP! Yamaha to launch macho scooter

They are Japanese and their macho is also like 'sleek' of Americans and 'okay' of Europeans. Now let's see if their 'macho' will be 'Japanese macho' or 'American macho' or 'European macho'.

Thread Starter #5
Re: SCOOP! Yamaha To Launch Macho Scooter

Bike advice has caught the Ray Z in flesh and their is no design change to the bike at all(very disappointing)

Attachments

Bike advice has caught the Ray Z in flesh and their is no design change to the bike at all(very disappointing)
Visran, I was about to book Honda Dio. But this news about Ray Z made me hold. But the flesh pictures doesn't impress(to my opinion).

I hardly seen a Yamaha Ray on Hyderabad roads so far and I did not make out much difference between Ray and Ray Z. The biggest drawback for Yamaha is their service and very costly spares which is something like TASS, so till they improve that people still keep buying Honda siblings and Suzuki/TVS scooters

Thread Starter #8

Visran, I was about to book Honda Dio. But this news about Ray Z made me hold. But the flesh pictures doesn't impress(to my opinion).
If you like Dio go for it, Ray doesn't suit guy's anyway's

350Z

Core Team

Yamaha Ray Z has been awarded with India Design Mark 2014. Full report on our blog: Yamaha Ray Z Wins India Design Mark Award 2014 - The Automotive India

PS: Those who missed, Yamaha Ray ownership review: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/14383-another-yamaha-home-yamaha-ray.html.

Yamaha’s Ray Z scooter is the recipient of the prestigious India Design Mark (I Mark) awarded by the India Design Council. Following the last two years’ award for the YZF-R15 and Yamaha RAY, this is Yamaha’s third consecutive I Mark award. The India Design Council is affiliated with India’s Ministry of Commerce & Industry and comprises eminent people in academia, design and industry organizations. Its India Design Mark (I Mark) awards program was initiated in cooperation with the Japan Institute of Design Promotion, and in line with the same standards set by Japan’s Good Design Award (G Mark). Open application and judging for the third I Mark awards was in 2013, and in the award’s third year, 2014, the Yamaha RAY Z was one of the I Mark recipients.

Based on the concept of an ‘Aggressive Sporty Design’, the RAY Z has been developed to target young male users between 18 and 22 years of age. RAY Z comes with a sporty look and feel that includes a: 1) smoked-finish visor for a motorcycle-like image, 2) aluminium rear wing-shaped tandem rider grab-bars, 3) new instrument panel with carbon fibre-patterned background, 4) carbon fibre-patterned seat cover material, and 5) dynamic colouring and graphics.

Commenting on this achievement, Mr Masaki Asano, Managing Director, Yamaha Motor India Sales Pvt. Ltd said, “Appreciation in any form is a welcome boost to a company and its products. I am very pleased to receive this award for the third time in a row. Our scooter RAY-Z has indeed been received very positively and we thank our designing and engineering team for creating a product which met our customer needs and fitted the Indian market so well. This award not just realizes our efforts but also motivates us to continue creating new, innovative and enriching products.”

Commenting further on the win, Mr. Roy Kurian, Vice President – Sales & Marketing, Yamaha Motor India Sales Pvt. Ltd said, “We entered the Indian scooter category in 2012, beginning with the RAY, designed for young women, which was followed by RAY Z in 2013, targeted at young men. The response that we have been receiving for RAY and Ray Z are indeed most positive and encouraging. Both sold approximately 150,000 units by end 2013, thanks to the stylish design and ease of use. We understand the needs of our customers and therefore pay great attention to details in our products in terms of styling and design.”
Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom