Aniket Vardhan Builds a 998cc RE Musket V-Twin Engine

Thread Starter #1
A while ago, Aniket Vardhan, an Indian industrial design teacher based out of the United States, wowed Royal Enfield enthusiasts across the globe with the original musket, a 700cc V-Twin motorcycle that used two 350cc jugs. The one off Royal Enfield Musket 700 looked like a million bucks and sounded as sweet as it looked, with a steady V-Twin thrum that emanated from the air cooled 700cc engine. Now though, Aniket has decided to take things to an all new level by coming up with a much bigger V-Twin engine, which displaces about 40% more cubic capacity than the 700cc motor.

The 998cc V-Twin engine that Aniket has now built uses two 499cc cast iron cylinders. While the Musket 700 used the services of an independent machinist, Aniket has now learnt machining and his efforts have plenty to show for, given the terrific finish that the 59 degrees-998cc V-Twin motor now features. The Musket 998cc V-Twin engine keeps the retro look of the 5 decade old engine design true to tradition with external oil lines and a big dollop of chrome. The pre-unit construction is retained as it is, with the engine block, gearbox and clutch being housed independently.

Also, the V-Twin motor uses most of the standard Royal Enfield parts when it comes to the engine head, the cylinder and the pistons. The 4 speed gearbox replete with the neutral finder gets a right shifting gear lever with the brake to the left, another bit of detailing that signifies the retro design of this engine. The 998cc V-Twin engine is currently housed in a Royal Enfield motorcycle with a modified frame. However, Aniket Vardhan is said to be working on a brand new frame that’ll do justice to this custom made engine.

Aniket Vardhan does have plans of putting the Royal Enfield Musket 998 engine into serial production and has designed the engine with small scale production in mind. Notably, the Musket 998 isn’t the only custom Royal Enfield motorcycle to come with a 1000cc V-Twin motor. Paul Carberry in Australia has built the Carberry 1000cc V-Twin, fashioned in the same way as Aniket Vardhan has, with two 499cc Royal Enfield cylinders. The Carberry Royal Enfield V-Twin is available for sale in Australia. In the coming months, expect USA made Musket 998cc V-Twin engines to be available for fitment on Royal Enfield motorcycles.

Aniket Vardhan now builds a 998cc Royal Enfield Musket V-Twin engine; Serial production plans in the works | IndianCarsBikes.in

The All New Musket 998cc V Twin - Start up. - YouTube

Attachments

I only wish that such mods are permitted in India. It would be nice to have a full indegenious bike with a V-twin option with all certification in place.

Thread Starter #6
998cc monster with drum brakes in front and rear - A big NO for me. This awesome engine really demands an all new chassis.. Don't you agree Visran?

Cheers,
Sankar
Well, Mr. Vardhan is an individual who is building such concepts on his own with his own resources and developing or buying an all new chassis(which requires immense amount of time and money to test it)does sound like a loosing proposition.

Even i am not sure how the stock chassis handles the bike with more power and weight, but a disc brakes on both the wheels is a must.

Well, Mr. Vardhan is an individual who is building such concepts on his own with his own resources and developing or buying an all new chassis(which requires immense amount of time and money to test it)does sound like a loosing proposition.

Even i am not sure how the stock chassis handles the bike with more power and weight, but a disc brakes on both the wheels is a must.
The power from 999cc monster would be anywhere between 60-70Bhp. So all new chassis with new 6 speed gearbox and belt drive drivetrain would be great. What about the costs? Will this beauty be available in India? I don't think any time soon though[confused]

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #8
The power from 999cc monster would be anywhere between 60-70Bhp. So all new chassis with new 6 speed gearbox and belt drive drivetrain would be great. What about the costs? Will this beauty be available in India? I don't think any time soon though[confused]

Regards,
Sankar
Your wish is the same as mine, and i too doubt about it's availability in our country any time soon.

I wonder what would be his strategy to service this bike if his customer's are based at different parts of the country.

Would love to see Royal Enfield as a company encourage such talented Engineers by creating a platform for him to work on.

Your wish is the same as mine, and i too doubt about it's availability in our country any time soon.

I wonder what would be his strategy to service this bike if his customer's are based at different parts of the country.

Would love to see Royal Enfield as a company encourage such talented Engineers by creating a platform for him to work on.
But i don't think these will be manufactured for mass market. Customers would need entirely different showroom experience and service facilities before buying such a premium bike. Regular RE showrooms and service facilities won't do good. An example would be ordinary bajaj dealerships and Probiking dealerships.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #10
But i don't think these will be manufactured for mass market. Customers would need entirely different showroom experience and service facilities before buying such a premium bike. Regular RE showrooms and service facilities won't do good. An example would be ordinary bajaj dealerships and Probiking dealerships.

Regards,
Sankar
That's right, but RE has their hands full currently with their production constraints, hope the new manufacturing plant will follow newer technological process to manufacture these bikes.

That's right, but RE has their hands full currently with their production constraints, hope the new manufacturing plant will follow newer technological process to manufacture these bikes.
Lets hope so. How much time will it take for a bike like this to be brought to mass market? I think 2-3years from now.Maybe 5 years with the required facilities for their service and all. Till then nothing to look forward too.

Regards,
Sankar

Top Bottom