Move Over Pulsar, The Bull is Here!

Thread Starter #1
It was a cold winter morning on the 4th of December 2012, when a call from my friend (Vikas) woke me up.

"Get up, get ready and come here quick!!" were his words, "We need to go out".

So ,hastily I woke up took a nice shower, took the bike keys and stepped out of the house when mom shouted from kitchen, "Where do you think you are going without eating breakfast???".. Stepped back, ate quickly and took off.

30 minutes later i was standing at his front gate honking, he came down and sat on my bike and said, "Let's go to Honda showroom, I need to see a new bike."

As a matter of fact, he and his brother both use bikes to commute daily and they had a Suzuki Samurai which had reached its end of life cycle so they were planning a replacement, the deal was sell the samurai, Brother gets Vikas's bike and Vikas gets a new one. Simple.

So our first stop was the Honda Showroom on the road, this road was particularly advantageous since it had a Hero Showroom, Bajaj Showroom, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki showrooms at a stone throw away from each other.
First bike we saw was the Unicorn, Shine . Shine had a bad look when viewed in reality also the tyres were just too thin for comfort. Shine dropped.And coming to unicorn the single gear lever was a big no in his case hence decided to check out other showrooms.

Next came Hero’s turn, there were just no new models in the showroom, the only availability of a black cbz extreme and impulse so walked out after checking those two.. Reason – Over styled (cbz) and didn’t like the impulse though.

Next on the list, Suzuki. I would like to make a point here, the vehicles by Suzuki are really good, whats not good is the knowledge about the vehicle in these showrooms. We stepped in and were checking out the Suzuki GS150R and promptly a guy showed up and I asked him how much is the mileage of this bike, he said “65-70 Sir”. I clarified “Isn’t this a 150 CC vehicle, how is it possible to get so much??”. No answer..
Next a lady comes up and says “Sir, it will give 40-45 maximum in city can’t expect more”.
Asked about the waiting period, guy says “15-20 days”. Lady says “Immediately available.”
We both were really confused on whom to believe, although we liked the GS150R, the knowledge level was seriously a turn off and to add fuel to fire, the service time in that place was that it would take 3 days to get your vehicle back after giving it to service. Reason – Too many Suzuki Access sold, not enough space in any service centre to accommodate all of them. Why Suzuki?? Why didn’t you increase your service network as widely as Bajaj or Hero?

So all in all the day was a complete disappointment, on the way back he suggested “Why not check out Bajaj once?? “.

Landed in popular bajaj in the next 20 minutes which was at a different place and saw the Pulsar 150, amazing looks, Black with a chrome engine looks so awesome and immediately fell for it. Asked for a test drive, we were promptly refused telling there was no stock vehicle. Half hearted, paid 500 rupees as booking amount we left the place, when i was about to drop him back to his place, he suggested, “Why not upgrade yours also dude, its been 4 years and now 125cc seems not powerful enough for our requirements”.

The actual story starts from this very moment. On the way back home, I was in a dilemma, should i upgrade or not? If I do, what will happen to my sweetheart (HH Glamour 125 -2008)?.

At this point I would like to tell you the life me and my sweetheart have shared over these 4 years. She is more than a bike to me, she is half my soul. Never broke down anywhere, never let me down, No maintenance hassles, No drop in FE, Smooth as butter, took me anywhere i wanted to go no matter how far.

The only thing i have replaced in the bike over 4 years was the battery. Such was her reliability.

I really could not handle the thought of selling her to someone else in order to buy a new vehicle, lost 2 days of sleep thinking over this issue.

Decided to keep two vehicles and considered my decision of buying Pulsar 150 to my parents.
Dad – “Pulsar? Yaako, ninge bere yaavdu ishta aglilva (Pulsar? Why son, didn’t you like any other vehicle)”
Mom- “Thumba danger gaadi, beda beda (Its too dangerous, NO NO) “.

The reason behind this response was the initial days when Pulsar was released a few guys died due to accidents by not handling the disc brake properly, Also the (You know what) was severely damaged when sharp braking was done due to the tank’s position. Sadly for my luck, Mom witnessed an accident involving a pulsar once and she stood by her decision.

Due to these unfortunate events, there is a bad impression among people even today. But all that is resolved as far as the new Pulsar is concerned.
Took me a full week to convince them and finally make them agree, next day took Vikas went to the same showroom and booked one after paying 500 rupees. Test drive refused promptly again due to the same reason.

Conveyed the news of booking to my other friends and relatives, The response was not so warm, a few of them were..

“Dude, there are atleast a thousand pulsars in the area you live.Why one more??” (my classmate)

“Bajaj gaadi na? Hero Honda thara gattiyag idya?? (Bajaj bike?? Is it as strong as Hero Honda)”. (uncle)

“Macha, the next time i am going to see a pulsar, i am going to throw up, My eyes hurt .” (Funniest was this one from another old friend).

People living in Bangalore will understand why the above comment was made. Anywhere you go in the city ,at any given time around you, there will be atleast 2 pulsars moving or standing. Traffic signals, grocery store, parking lots, bus stations, heck even petrol bunks.

Traffic cops in our city have pulsars, so the point is there is one of every available colour in every street.

Coming back, to add to the fun while my friend was making a comment about throwing up, A red pulsar 150 passes by and he shouts “ See, See what i just told you!!”

The pulsar 150 is really a wonderful vehicle, But the fact is its such a good bike so people love it, they all desire to own one and feel the power of the bike hence they buy it. Almost everyone owns own and its not special anymore.

All the above “heart warming and funny” comments made me think about it for a few days. Half hearted about the decision and reading a few reviews on the net about the engine ageing quickly, decided to take a little time and wait.
After a couple of days, again when I paid a visit to Vikas, told him about me reconsidering the decision to buy a pulsar.

Vikas – “Why dude ?? didn’t you like the bike.”

Me- “No i liked it very much , the thing is its too common bro, didn’t feel the special feeling while booking.”

Vikas-“Ok, lets do it this way, lets go around again and see if anything better comes up.”

So round 2 began and first stop , Yamaha Showroom – Saw FZ-S, liked the design but the poor FE was a serious let down for me because of the my daily commute of 20 odd kms.

Next, Hero – Stepped in, having a chat with the sales guy and i hear a large supply truck honking outside the showroom, three guys get to it and wait for the ramp to open, we were just seeing this thing happen and moments later , what i saw made my heart stop for a moment.

A Grey Hero Hunk (the Bull ) made its first appearance before my shocked eyes, the first grunt of the engine when it descended from the ramp of the truck made a statement “I Have Arrived!”

This was my breakthrough moment, the bull instantly connected with my heart and soul the way i first connected with my Glamour way back in 2008.

The next instant, caught hold of the salesguy , “DEMANDED”, yes, i “DEMANDED” a test drive. He saw my expression and said “Give me ten minutes i will have it ready sir.”

That ten minutes seemed like an year at the moment. Finally HE arrived, (it would be wrong to refer to the Hunk as “she” because its all muscle and a Bull).

Sat on the bike with shivering hands, and felt the hug it gave me “Welcome back!”.

Started the engine and took off, about the test drive i really don’t have the words to explain how i felt, It is a dream machine, the smoothness of the engine giving out 14.4 BHP flattered me. Ended the test drive with a huge grin, got down, called up Popular and cancelled my pulsar booking promptly. Yes, I have met my Soulmate for the road .

From my heart are these few words – “Once you have bonded with a particular bike in your life for the first time, no other company will be able to satisfy your desire for the next bike except for the one which you have owned. Hero Honda to Hero Moto Corp in my case.” I am sure no one will be able to deny this, although some may still argue that they felt better when they moved on. My dear friends, I Know this fact will be there at the bottom of your heart.

Came home, conveyed my decision to everyone, and the only response was got from most was a big grin and a thumbs up.

Dad – Huge grin, “Well done, Jan 2013 it will come to our home don’t worry.”

Mom – “Adakke kano, dodavara maatu kelu annodu” (Thats why I say listen to elders)”. She had seen me petting and taking care of my old bike and she loved it a lot too.

Uncle- “HA, I knew you would come back, why do you think I am still keeping my 10 year old splendor”. (Grins again).

Friends- “Sooper macha, god gave you enlightenment or what??”.

Now, i had to decide what to do with the Glamour, since my request to keep both were flatly refused. I had a heavy heart and was thinking it over, A blessing came, My close relative called me up, stays in Banshankari, said to me “Don’t give your old bike to anyone, I want it, you have maintained it well”.

He had seen me taking care of the vehicle over the years and I readily agreed happily that my sweetheart will stay in my family at last .

That said and done, now that its Danur Maasa (Inauspicious month), i have to wait till Jan 13th to book and get this bull home.

Thats my story, will keep updating with new info and write a ownership review of the bike, Thank you for your Enormous patience for going through my pre ownership review . Please share your valuable comments.

Many congrats for the HUNK. It indeed is much more male than Pulsar IMHO. Also, I noticed that you didn't consider Apache, any specific reason?

freakdude.

Thread Starter #3
@freakdude
Thanks a lot [:)]. About the Apache, frankly i liked the older design more than the current one, also a couple of bad service experiences and a sudden closure of a showroom near our home made me think about it. The Apache is a wonderful machine, but service issues and complaints regarding the chain going loose every 300-400 kms was a concern (read in the net a few days back). So had to drop it dude. [:)]

Congrats on booking the Hunk. Lovely write up, straight from the heart. Though I am still unable to digest someone being passionate for a Glamour, I do certainly understand how and why you feel so.

Awaiting your 'and they lived happily thereafter' review of the Hunk. All the best.

Excellent writing, straight from heart. I believe you are like another core biker. I too enjoy a lot biking and always maintain my wide very well.It's always good to upgrade bikes in 4-5 years.
Congrats on booking Hunk, did you opt silver Hunk itself?Does Hunk produces 14.4BHP?

Based on your writing, I can conclude that you booked it from SriChandu Motors? I guess Hosur road has all the showrooms- Bajaj,Yamaha, Honda, TVS and Hero, may be kormangala is also having all the showrooms near by.

Thread Starter #6
@ Sam - Thank you Sam, Yes, i will surely do a ownership review once i get the bike along with a lot of pictures, I still am going to miss my Glamour because its a very special vehicle for me, bond with it is very strong since it was my first bike :)

Thread Starter #7
@Ertiga - Thanks a lot bro. Yes i like to do a few long trips on my bike every now and then, Hunk produces 14.4 BHp, and i am opting for the metallic grey colour since I feel its more attractive choice for the body design of the Hunk.

No no, wrong guess [;)]. The place where i went to these showrooms were the ring road that runs through Devegowda Petrol Bunk through Hosakerehalli, And the test drive was at Sai Motors. But if they dont have the colour I am looking for, I will have to book with Prakash Motors in Lalbagh Road.

It's always good to upgrade bikes in 4-5 years.
I would disagree with that statement, unless one has deep pockets to change bike every 4-5yrs doesn't make any sense as long as the vehicle delivers what the manufacturers mentioned. Even with the middle class having an increase in their pay scales to a certain extent still would think twice before changing a bike every 4-5 yrs.

And when it comes to enthusiasts or hardcore riders its a different ball game altogether.

@Vishnu nice post about your passion and the love for your Glamour and now for the Hunk. Keep riding...

@Vishnu great write up dude your passion for your bike is clearly oozing from the words. The Hunk is a great bike a good friend of mine owns one is 'Sports Red' (i hope thats what the color is). It is a pretty smooth bike and my friend goes gaga over the bike.

Happy motoring bro.

Vishnu

Nice buying experience review buddy !! and finally looks to be a "male selection"[clap], Yes Hunk rocks just like Pulsar mania !!

Looking forward to see a ownership review with lot more pics

Vishnu, congratulations on your new machine, and nice narration of your buying decision, straight from the heart, do keep us posted about the booking,delivery along with many pictures.
Dont forget to post your ownership review.

Top Bottom