Suggest Hill Stations Near Delhi - 8th to 11th Jun (Tentative)

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I am planning to visit some hill station during coming summer vacations of kids.

Tentative dates are 8th to 11th Jun.

Please suggest some areas near Delhi or max up to 250 kms by own car.

Main criteria would be:

• Good roads (good condition and little boarder as I do not have any experience of driving on hills)
  • Less crowded as I want to spend quality time with family.
  • Good options of accommodation atleast few considering lonely place.
Something else if you would like to add, please feel free.

Thanks in advance [:)]

350Z

Core Team
Re: Hill Stations Advice - 8th to 11th Jun (Tentative)

You might want to consider Nainital or Mussoorie. I have been to both the places only to admire the beauty of nature. However, be prepared for some rush especially at Nainital. Mussoorie on the other hand was relatively calm and cool when I visited there in May 2011 but the roads at hill region were quite unsafe at some points.

Nainital is an ideal tourist destination for a fun-filled family getaway. Kids will enjoy sightseeing, boating, aerial ropeway, zoo and various attractive shopping places would ensure that wifey is also contented. In case you can manage to extend the time, I would also suggest checking out Jim Corbett National Park, which is situated less than 150 Kms from Nainital. Stay there for a couple of days and enjoy the Jungle Safari. Even though there are fat chances of spotting a Tiger in the outer area that too in summers, but the overall atmosphere (fauna and flora) will sure thrill the kids and adults alike. If you are visiting this, make sure to reach there in the early June since the park shuts down for tourists usually by the end of June as soon as the monsoons arrive until October. Here are some related useful links:

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/7298-delhi-nainital-delhi-may-2012-a.html

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...80-hyundai-i10-mussoorie-trip-oct-2011-a.html

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/3982-pictolog-mussoorie-queen-hills.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

@Shailinder:
Considering your criteria I'd say:-
Dehradun+Mussoorie+Dhanaulti.

Route plan:-
Delhi-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Roorkee-Haridwar-Dehradun(there are many fantastic natural sights in the Rajaji national park)-Dehradun(Night stay)-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti(night stay).

Thread Starter #6
@Shailinder:
Considering your criteria I'd say:-
Dehradun+Mussoorie+Dhanaulti.

Route plan:-
Delhi-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Roorkee-Haridwar-Dehradun(there are many fantastic natural sights in the Rajaji national park)-Dehradun(Night stay)-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti(night stay).
Thanks Vipul but what about the road conditions from Dehradun to Dhanulti via Mussoorie ?

I heard roads are not good nor broader to my liking. I have been to Dhanulti before but that was in 2003 Jan for day sight seeing. No idea of current status . How is it for a stay for couple of days ?

Thanks Vibhor n love car : I would see to your recommendations as well.

Road from Dehradun to Mussoorie and Dhanaulti is in mint condition.There may be some minor broken patches which must not disturb anybody but no issue at all because just before the tourism season starts the roads get repaired there every year.

Roads are not that wide,they are just as wide as the dual carriageways are,but i think that much is enough.At least I am yet to face even a single issue driving on that road till date.In other words there is nothing to be scared,you can even drive a bus there.C'mon yaar,you drive a hatchback,it can take those roads very easily.

About stay at Dhanaulti,since you need clamness then you can book either room in GMVN guest house else there are some hotels too or you may get a wooden/bamboo cottage too,that also just below the nature park of Dhanaulti.

Hi Shailinder, I also suggest you to consider Mussoorie or Lansdowne.

Mussoorie: There is number of hotels in Mussoorie considering the peak season you will get accommodation with ease and from here you can visit Dhanaulti and Kempty fall, You will face lesser hilly roads which starts from Dehradun, roads are good but narrow at few places keep left and use the same gear to descend which you used for ascend use engine power for brakes.

Lansdowne: Quite and calm place heaven for nature lover only handful of hotels, hilly road starts after Kotdwar, turns are sharper and narrower compared to Dehradun-Mussoorie. Book your hotel in advance not much to do here except few site seeing no mall road to stroll :(

I think Mussoorie is best bet for you i am also planning a trip to hills next week and Mussoorie and Dhanaulti is high on list, will update about the road conditions if this trip materialized.

Avoid Nainital, road condition is pathetic with full of traffic jams.

Thread Starter #10
Hi Shailinder, I also suggest you to consider Mussoorie or Lansdowne.

Mussoorie: There is number of hotels in Mussoorie considering the peak season you will get accommodation with ease and from here you can visit Dhanaulti and Kempty fall, You will face lesser hilly roads which starts from Dehradun, roads are good but narrow at few places keep left and use the same gear to descend which you used for ascend use engine power for brakes.

Lansdowne: Quite and calm place heaven for nature lover only handful of hotels, hilly road starts after Kotdwar, turns are sharper and narrower compared to Dehradun-Mussoorie. Book your hotel in advance not much to do here except few site seeing no mall road to stroll :(

I think Mussoorie is best bet for you i am also planning a trip to hills next week and Mussoorie and Dhanaulti is high on list, will update about the road conditions if this trip materialized.

Avoid Nainital, road condition is pathetic with full of traffic jams.
Thanks Toughguy,

Looking forward to you travelogue as always. Do update me about your trip and thanks for good advice on driving on hills.

A 220cc trip to Mussoorie is on my cards too maybe either on 18-20 or after 25th when I'll be visiting Dehradun form my work by bike.

@Shailinder:
If you feel to increase the tour of yours then you may increase your tour plan this way:-
Mussoorie-Dhanaulti(night stay)-Surkanda(a very famous Mata temple just 11 kms ahead of Dhanaulti-I visit there every alternate month)-Chamba-Tehri(to have a look at India's largest gravity dam-night stay,the hotels will be cheap and good too).
Next day return via:-
Tehri-Chamba-Rishikesh(great hilly road it is and is wide too)-Haridwar(via chilla road)-Delhi.

I won't recommend lansdowne because it deserves a 7-8 days tour because there are many more places to visit there.Hence it will be better to visit Mussoorie on 3-4 days trip.

Thread Starter #12
@ Vipul,

Now this is getting really interesting because what I heard / read about Landsdowne that it is a quite place and there nothing much to do there. And you suggest 7-8 days tour !!

Your other suggestion is also very good but my confidence on hilly area would only increase with my trips to these hilly areas. I am not saying that I will not be able to drive there but it is something which is not coming by default. I hope you understand.

Now, the question is why the hell I am planning to drive on hills but then sometime I have to start. Why not this time :-).

Since Lansdowne is a cantonment area due to that there is limited commercial activity over there, 2 nights stay is more than enough if you want to explore beyond Lansdowne (I think this is what Vipul is suggesting to you) like Khirsu and syalsaur you need more days they both are very beautiful place and located 123 and 143KM away from Lansdowne but i would not recommended you to drive on these roads without any hill drive experience as roads are narrow and full of sharp turns.

From Lansdowne you can also visit Tarkeshwar mahadev temple which is located some 35KM away from Lansdowne.

Check my log link below (i think you already gone through that) you can find some other local site seeing places of the Lansdowne in that:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...1-delhi-rishikesh-auli-lansdowne-delhi-4.html

Well,from 7-8 days trip I meant.
If you are going to Lansdowne then why to visit just one place there instead take 2-3 more days and visit all the nearby places one by one.Simple it is,if you go this far then what is the use of visiting just one place in 2 days and return back.

While in case of Mussoorie,there are not too many worth visiting places nearby and hence 2-3 days are enough.

@Toughguy:I was also about to post the same link of your travelogue.

@Shailinder:About roads at that place I'd say:-
Most scary part of the road is Muzaffarnagar-Dehradun.Else the traffic seems to move in a sensible style everywhere else.
A very simple question:-
IS THIS GOING TO BE YOUR FIRST HILLY DRIVE?
Then also no issue at all,driving in hills is quite easier as compared to our dual carriageways and Delhi traffic.
When I did my first hilly drive,then it was an Innova loaded with 6 people and me(16 those days)driving.On a good tough trip of Gangotri-Yamunotri-Badrinath-Kedarnath.As soon as we moved ahead of Rishikesh my chauffy gave me steering saying "the time has came".Many times I bogged the car down but drove very slow for 20 kms and after that I was just comfortable with those roads.There was a place called Ganganani where the road is just as wide as a bus and incline is such hard that many cars just bog down there and won't move up without any practiced hand.I too gave up there but chauffy was strict and after bogging down 3 times I conquered it.After that no issues and I started loving driving on those roads.
In other words,just 5-10 kms of driving will make you practiced of those roads and after driving for 20 kms you will be comfortable on those roads.There will come steep inclines and even more skill testing turns called 'HIGH SPIN TURNS' where there are about 180 degree turns on good inclines and you have to take care of traffic too at the same time.But since you have a hatch so nothing is going to disturb you more.Look at me,I drove a bulky Innova there and found it easy too.

Still if you wanna go easy then take this route:-
Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti-Chamba-Rishikesh.
Why this route:Because the route from Dhanaulti to Mussoorie is really hard,but is quite easy while coming from Mussoorie to Dhanaulti.While road form Chamba to Rishikesh is a breeze to drive,I don't remember the number but its some NH..

About roads,here are some pics of how the roads are,these will help you remove your fear(Road form Dehradun-Mussoorie is okay and the one from Rishikesh-Chamba is great):-

Attachments

Sorry Shailendar, I thought you were going in May. I am myself going to Chail on 22nd June for 2 days and then to Naldehra near Shimla from 24th to 28th June.
Trust me, hill-drive is far easier than driving in congested cities or on killer highways. Just stick to your left and never try to Speed, max 50-60km/hr should be the norm and don't forget to Honk in advance on blind curves.
Let your co-passengers enjoy the scenic beauty while you enjoy the Drive. You can always see and relish the pictures they have clicked after reaching your destination. [:)]

Top Bottom