Mumbai To Bangalore: Route Updates Please

Thread Starter #1
Planning a drive from Mumbai to Bangalore on 28th April. The route planned is Pune - Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Davangere-Tumkur-Bangalore.

While checking the map found two places with a road closed sign. Any updates from members who have used the route recently.

Planning a continuous drive starting 5.30 AM and reaching Bangalore same evening.

Any advice/tips on food stops/fuel stops would be welcome

Thanks you.

Re: Mumbai to Bangalore - Route updates please

Planning a drive from Mumbai to Bangalore on 28th April. The route planned is Pune - Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Davangere-Tumkur-Bangalore.

While checking the map found two places with a road closed sign. Any updates from members who have used the route recently.

Planning a continuous drive starting 5.30 AM and reaching Bangalore same evening.

Any advice/tips on food stops/fuel stops would be welcome

Thanks you.
Done Pune - Bangalore couple of weeks before. Nothing is closed, NH48 is open all the way. The signs which you see in maps have diversion near Satara and Hubli to service road.

Continuous drive is possible, just be careful between Dharwad - Hubli patch as there are lots of maniac overtakes done by few drivers as the road is two lane.

Thread Starter #3

Thank you very much.

Did this drive last Nov. so wanted to know if there are any changes.

Thank you very much.

Did this drive last Nov. so wanted to know if there are any changes.
No worries. Drive safe and enjoy your drive. You will face lot of congestion between Pune to Kolhapur, post Kolhapur it is breeze. Plan your lunch break near Dharwad or Hubli as their are less facilities in Karnataka side.

^^ After you enter KA please be careful about temporary speed governors of 80 kmph else you loose money paying fines.

^^ After you enter KA please be careful about temporary speed governors of 80 kmph else you loose money paying fines.
Hubli - Dharwad bypass (Single lane Road) and between Chalageri toll and Hebbalu toll ( In perticular Ranebennur to Davanagere outskirts) are the place you can expect speed governors for sure.

Please be advised you may be stopped by cops for inspection anywhere in KA as Assembly election is scheduled on May 12.

Thread Starter #9

Hubli - Dharwad bypass (Single lane Road) and between Chalageri toll and Hebbalu toll ( In perticular Ranebennur to Davanagere outskirts) are the place you can expect speed governors for sure.

Please be advised you may be stopped by cops for inspection anywhere in KA as Assembly election is scheduled on May 12.
Thank you ...will be careful on this stretch. I have all the car documents proper and travelling with my wife and kids. So hope the cops wont trouble much.

On a separate note, I was told that due to the long weekend (May1st Holiday) there are chances of many people taking this route towards Goa. I have Fast tag so hopefully will have the dedicated lane at Toll junctions and not get stuck.

Temporary speed governors what are they and who will install in the car on the way.
They are nothing but police interceptors i.e. vehicles fitted with speed guns with range of 500 - 800 m or more. They are parked next to highway , quite common in road leading to Bangalore airport.

Yes cops are scanning almost every other vehicle even with families. Boot, Glove Box and Luggage are opened. Do not carry excess cash and any hard drinks.
Cash limit per Single person is 20K and total 50K per vehicle. You have to show proper records/document for holding above that limit.

Thread Starter #13
Completed the drive as planned on 28th April. Fortunately did not face any police checking, speed checks on the way.

What did not go well was the traffic. Though we started sharp 5 AM from Navi Mumbai, we were stuck in traffic for close to an hour on the Expressway - near Lonavala ghats. Could move only 3 kms in an hour. This was followed by further traffic between Pune and Satara. The toll gates were packed and took close to 20 minutes at each toll gate. The road diversions in Satara were also time consuming.

Due to the long weekend (May 1st being a holiday, by taking a day's leave on 30th April, you get 4 continuous days), private cars were much more than normal. Lots of families driving during that time. We could see the hatchbacks packed with luggage almost covering the rear glass. This continued till Kolhapur and actually slowed our progress considerably.

I did the same drive last October and it took me 14.50 hours to complete. This time while the breaks we took were the same it took me 17 hours . reached Bangalore (Sarjapur Road) at 10 PM.

Have decided that I will not do long drives at the start/ending of long weekends (unless it is an emergency) as it really makes everyone tired and frustrated.

Last edited:
Completed the drive as planned on 28th April. Fortunately did not face any police checking, speed checks on the way.

What did not go well was the traffic. Though we started sharp 5 AM from Navi Mumbai, we were stuck in traffic for close to an hour on the Expressway - near Lonavala ghats. Could move only 3 kms in an hour. This was followed by further traffic between Pune and Satara. The toll gates were packed and took close to 20 minutes at each toll gate. The road diversions in Satara were also time consuming.

Due to the long weekend (May 1st being a holiday, by taking a day's leave on 30th April, you get 4 continuous days), private cars were much more than normal. Lots of families driving during that time. We could see the hatchbacks packed with luggage almost covering the rear glass. This continued till Kolhapur and actually slowed our progress considerably.

I did the same drive last October and it took me 14.50 hours to complete. This time while the breaks we took were the same it took me 17 hours . reached Bangalore (Sarjapur Road) at 10 PM.

Have decided that I will not do long drives at the start/ending of long weekends (unless it is an emergency) as it really makes everyone tired and frustrated.
Driving on long weekends is a strict No-No for me. There are too many cars on the roads creating chaos on well maintained roads. In addition to this the hotels are jammed pack with extraordinary prices.

From last few years long weekends to me is to relax at home and watch TV[glasses]

What did not go well was the traffic. Though we started sharp 5 AM from Navi Mumbai, we were stuck in traffic for close to an hour on the Expressway - near Lonavala ghats.
Due to the long weekend, private cars were much more than normal. Lots of families driving during that time. We could see the hatchbacks packed with luggage almost covering the rear glass. Have decided that I will not do long drives at the start/ending of long weekends (unless it is an emergency) as it really makes everyone tired and frustrated.
Very true. If it is a long week-end, I start either at 330am/4am, however inconvenience to kids (6/12 yrs old). Wifey too cribs. But it is worth all the effort. The drive becomes very peaceful. And it adds a lot of predictability into the schedule.

For me, Fastag helps too. Fastag is a very important timesaver (may be not much in heavy weekend crowd, but it definitely helps).

Driving on long weekends is a strict No-No for me. There are too many cars on the roads creating chaos on well maintained roads. In addition to this the hotels are jammed pack with extraordinary prices.
Yes, hotels are jam packed is another issue. I too avoid as much as possible, but in school holidays we have no option to utilize as much long weekends as possible. On some roads, totally unruly traffic too is a hazard. Sunday evening / Last day evening of the long weekend entry into Bangalore (whichever road - Mysore / Kanakapura / Tumkur / Krishnagiri-Hosur / Chittoor) all of them filled with impatient drivers. I am sure it is the same case with most cities.

Top Bottom