Help: Pune - Dandeli - Coorg - Pune Road Trip

Thread Starter #1
Hi all
i, along with my wife, am planning a road trip Pune-Coorg in my Tata Tiago XZ(D) in the first week of May.
My plan is thus:
7th may: Pune- dandeli. reach by 3pm. do a safari at 5pm
8th: stay in Dandeli for my first marriage anniversary.
9th: Dandeli-Coorg
10-11: Coorg local
12th: Coorg - Dharwad/Hubli(?)
13th: Hubli - Pune.

any suggestions/ corrections for the same?
also, i need to know if dandeli would be a good spot for midway halt, or if there is any other better place to spend the day of my first anniversary (considering its summer season)
any help will be appreciated.
MODS: couldnt find a suitable active thread for my queries. feel free to merge , if there's any. This being my first post here, please forgive me fora ny minor transgressions against your policy, if any. :-)

Hi all
i, along with my wife, am planning a road trip Pune-Coorg in my Tata Tiago XZ(D) in the first week of May.
My plan is thus:
7th may: Pune- dandeli. reach by 3pm. do a safari at 5pm
8th: stay in Dandeli for my first marriage anniversary.
9th: Dandeli-Coorg
10-11: Coorg local
12th: Coorg - Dharwad/Hubli(?)
13th: Hubli - Pune.

any suggestions/ corrections for the same?
also, i need to know if dandeli would be a good spot for midway halt, or if there is any other better place to spend the day of my first anniversary (considering its summer season)
any help will be appreciated.
MODS: couldnt find a suitable active thread for my queries. feel free to merge , if there's any. This being my first post here, please forgive me fora ny minor transgressions against your policy, if any. :-)
Pune - Dandeli: It will be easier if you carry on till Dharwad Bypass (more NH7, the better) & go to Dandeli through Haliyal. An year back my colleagues went in this route & they said it was fine (they went at night). Instead of traveling 100+ kms in SH (exit in Belgaum), rather exit at Dharwad will get you only 40+ Kms in SH.

Dandeli is & will still be hot/humid in summer. Hope you are ok with that.

Dandeli - Madikeri (Capital): Could be a very tiring one if you went through NH66 (coastal highway). Traffic, towns, etc. If you need a similar setup (a bit cooler climate, coffee estates, winding roads, homestays), somewhere around Chikmagaluru might suit you better & distance wise shorter too. There are many many homestays available near-by Chikmagaluru. Probable route could be Dandeli - Dharwad / Hubli bypass - Hiriyur (continuing in NH7 as much as possible) - Hosadurga - Kadur - Chikmagaluru. Please note that the homestays are usually remote & locating them itself will take an hour or so (in those winding road conditions) & preferably drive them in day light.

Return could be via coastal highway (part of it at-least). Chikmagaluru - Sringeri - Agumbe (superb winding roads & scenic) - Halady - NH66 upto Gokarna. Then from Gokarna - Yellapura/Sirsi - Hubli/Dharwad - Pune through NH7. The last day could be a bit longer drive (12-13hrs drive though). Else you could ride on NH7 (via Hiriyur & stay overnight at Belgaum/Dharwad) as much as possible.

I am sharing my experience from Pune to Mangalore 5 years ago.

We started at 6 am from Pune and reached Ankola via Hubli / Dharwad at around 5 pm in the evening and stayed in the famous Temple there - Laxmi Venkatesha Mahamayee and they have a good guest house for Hindus with hot veg food. We did some pooja in the temple in the evening.

If you prefer a good hotel, you can drive upto KUMTA ( Kumta is about 180/185 kms from Hubli) and stay in Panduranga International Hotel on the High way itself, rooms are good and good veg food too.

of course you will be staying at Dandeli.

Next day morning, we started at 8 am, and visited the famous Idugungi Ganesh Temple, which is about 10 kms from Kumta. We did also visit famous Shirali Ganesh temple and famous Chitrapur Mutt which is about 7-8 kms from Idugungi.. you can also visit famous Murdeshwar temple on the way, they are all within 20-30 minutes drive. You can reach Udupi during lunch time which is about 100 kms from from Kumta. Next stop could be Mangalore which is about 1 1/4 hrs drive from Udupi. Total distance from PUNE to MANGALORE is 820 kms.

Mangalore to Madikeri is about 4 1/2 hrs drive and the Road is good. In Madikeri, there are many hotels , KSRTC Hotel is good near RAJA SEAT or you can try East West Hotel on G T Road. In Madikeri, the places to visit are OMkareshwar Temple, RAJA SEAT, OLD FORT, a museum. Also the famous Abbey falls, which is about 15 minutes drive but takes not less than 30 minutes and to walk down slowly near the water falls.

You must visit Khushal Nagar which is about 40 kms from Madikeri and Kaveri Nisargadama on the way. At Khushal nagar there is nice Buddha mandir which is very famous and a must visit place. There is nice Hotel run by the Buddhist Temple and there are 2-3 nice restaurants too. You can buy some nice items like Musical dolls,nice mats and panchloha bells etc made by Bhutan buddhist people.
If you are keen about visiting the famous Subramanya temple, you can do so on your way back, which is about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs drive from Madikeri. If you want to visit few more famous temples like Kateel Durga Parmeshwari, Kateel Raja Rajeshawari etc around Mangalore, let me know, I shall give you the details.
Good luck to you
Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Pune - Dandeli: It will be easier if you carry on till Dharwad Bypass (more NH7, the better) & go to Dandeli through Haliyal. An year back my colleagues went in this route & they said it was fine (they went at night). Instead of traveling 100+ kms in SH (exit in Belgaum), rather exit at Dharwad will get you only 40+ Kms in SH.

Dandeli is & will still be hot/humid in summer. Hope you are ok with that.

Dandeli - Madikeri (Capital): Could be a very tiring one if you went through NH66 (coastal highway). Traffic, towns, etc. If you need a similar setup (a bit cooler climate, coffee estates, winding roads, homestays), somewhere around Chikmagaluru might suit you better & distance wise shorter too. There are many many homestays available near-by Chikmagaluru. Probable route could be Dandeli - Dharwad / Hubli bypass - Hiriyur (continuing in NH7 as much as possible) - Hosadurga - Kadur - Chikmagaluru. Please note that the homestays are usually remote & locating them itself will take an hour or so (in those winding road conditions) & preferably drive them in day light.

Return could be via coastal highway (part of it at-least). Chikmagaluru - Sringeri - Agumbe (superb winding roads & scenic) - Halady - NH66 upto Gokarna. Then from Gokarna - Yellapura/Sirsi - Hubli/Dharwad - Pune through NH7. The last day could be a bit longer drive (12-13hrs drive though). Else you could ride on NH7 (via Hiriyur & stay overnight at Belgaum/Dharwad) as much as possible.
Hi CasualSurfer
plan is to drive till Coorg, to enjoy the Scotland of India.
any suggestions for routes?
in particular, from dandeli, should i go thru mangalore or shivamoga - hassan?

where should i stay? Coorg/Madikeri/Virajpet?

thanks

I am sharing my experience from Pune to Mangalore 5 years ago.

We started at 6 am from Pune and reached Ankola via Hubli / Dharwad at around 5 pm in the evening and stayed in the famous Temple there - Laxmi Venkatesha Mahamayee and they have a good guest house for Hindus with hot veg food. We did some pooja in the temple in the evening.

If you prefer a good hotel, you can drive upto KUMTA ( Kumta is about 180/185 kms from Hubli) and stay in Panduranga International Hotel on the High way itself, rooms are good and good veg food too.

of course you will be staying at Dandeli.

Next day morning, we started at 8 am, and visited the famous Idugungi Ganesh Temple, which is about 10 kms from Kumta. We did also visit famous Shirali Ganesh temple and famous Chitrapur Mutt which is about 7-8 kms from Idugungi.. you can also visit famous Murdeshwar temple on the way, they are all within 20-30 minutes drive. You can reach Udupi during lunch time which is about 100 kms from from Kumta. Next stop could be Mangalore which is about 1 1/4 hrs drive from Udupi. Total distance from PUNE to MANGALORE is 820 kms.

Mangalore to Madikeri is about 4 1/2 hrs drive and the Road is good. In Madikeri, there are many hotels , KSRTC Hotel is good near RAJA SEAT or you can try East West Hotel on G T Road. In Madikeri, the places to visit are OMkareshwar Temple, RAJA SEAT, OLD FORT, a museum. Also the famous Abbey falls, which is about 15 minutes drive but takes not less than 30 minutes and to walk down slowly near the water falls.

You must visit Khushal Nagar which is about 40 kms from Madikeri and Kaveri Nisargadama on the way. At Khushal nagar there is nice Buddha mandir which is very famous and a must visit place. There is nice Hotel run by the Buddhist Temple and there are 2-3 nice restaurants too. You can buy some nice items like Musical dolls,nice mats and panchloha bells etc made by Bhutan buddhist people.
If you are keen about visiting the famous Subramanya temple, you can do so on your way back, which is about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs drive from Madikeri. If you want to visit few more famous temples like Kateel Durga Parmeshwari, Kateel Raja Rajeshawari etc around Mangalore, let me know, I shall give you the details.
Good luck to you
Regards
Hi VR Shenoy,
thats a great plan!
i wish i could stop at so many places, if time permits.
did u stay for another night at mangalore?
where did u stay in COorg? madikeri?

Last edited:
Hi CasualSurfer

thanks

Hi VR Shenoy,
thats a great plan!
i wish i could stop at so many places, if time permits.
did u stay for another night at mangalore?
where did u stay in COorg? madikeri?
hahahaha, COORG is the English name and Madikeri is Indian name.

Lived in Pune for 17-18 years and lived in Mumbai for about 15 - 16 years during my professional career. , however I belong to Mangalore and having peaceful retired life. Now I am too old to drive for more than an hour or so and hence, don't drive much or travel much.

Been to many places in and around Mangalore. Been to Madikeri 3 times, that is why I suggested 2 good hotels, of course there are many hotels to stay. If the time permits and if you could reach Khusal nagar, it is worth to stay over there.

Hi CasualSurfer
If the destination is Coorg (its a region, rather than a town). The capital of the region is Madikeri. Madikeri has good hotels. Surrounding areas have a lot of homestays. Either way, we are talking about 11-12hrs journey to reach Madikeri alone & then another hour to reach homestays. I would recommend you to stay in homestays, inside coffee estates. Just Google for Homestays in & around Madikeri. Too many options available.

If prefer hotels, Madikeri is better. Coorg is the region name. My honeymoon stay was (although in 2003!) at Hotel Coorg International. After that (subsequent visits) have been only to homestays surrounding areas.

COORG is the English name and Madikeri is Indian name.
Mercara is the English name of Madikeri. Coorg names derives from Kodagu Region/District.

If the destination is Coorg (its a region, rather than a town). The capital of the region is Madikeri. Madikeri has good hotels. Surrounding areas have a lot of homestays. Either way, we are talking about 11-12hrs journey to reach Madikeri alone & then another hour to reach homestays. I would recommend you to stay in homestays, inside coffee estates. Just Google for Homestays in & around Madikeri. Too many options available.

If prefer hotels, Madikeri is better. Coorg is the region name. My honeymoon stay was (although in 2003!) at Hotel Coorg International. After that (subsequent visits) have been only to homestays surrounding areas.

Mercara is the English name of Madikeri. Coorg names derives from Kodagu Region/District.
Yes, you are right, Mercara is English name for Madikeri and Coorg derived from Kodagu. So Coorg district has towns like Madikeri, Kushal Nagar , Virajpet etc.

Top Bottom