Kumbakonam To Trichy: Alternate Routes

Thread Starter #1
I usually take the normal bus route and by-pass Thanjavur via NH-83 but the initial route is always a pain. It tried SH22 once which passes through Kabisthalam & Thiruvaiyaru. It was even worse with too many potholes. Is there any alternate route available?

Google Maps suggests 'Papanasam - Saliamangalam' road but shows 24 minutes for a 16 km stretch. Any advise on this one please?

I usually take the normal bus route and by-pass Thanjavur via NH-83 but the initial route is always a pain. It tried SH22 once which passes through Kabisthalam & Thiruvaiyaru. It was even worse with too many potholes. Is there any alternate route available?

Google Maps suggests 'Papanasam - Saliamangalam' road but shows 24 minutes for a 16 km stretch. Any advise on this one please?
Both are painful, as I heard. But the Thanjavur bypass route is better in terms of road conditions (last traveled on this route in Jun 2017), if you can bear the initial pain of narrow roads / bus traffic / constant 2-wheeler traffic / hurried overtakings. I am not sure of the current conditions though.

I have traveled in the stretch a year back.

These stretch passed through so many villages and narrow/Curvy roads. And of course, there will be Pot holes/Patches in some places and some places, it will be smooth tarmac.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys. I took the 'Papanasam - Saliamangalam' road after checking with some folks at the junction point. The road is super smooth without any potholes. It cuts through villages but the traffic is almost negligible. The road is also scenic at some places with greenish rice fields. At the end of this road, you join with the 4 lane bypass (Trichy NH). This part of the bypass is being laid (80% complete) but it did not present any hiccups. I would totally recommend this route over the bus route.

Thread Starter #7
Update post monsoon:
There is a small stretch (~5 kms) ridden with potholes now after you exit 'papanasam-saliamangalam' road. I would still prefer this route though. The traffic is minimal, so you can carefully and slowly navigate your way through this stretch.

Attachments

Top Bottom