Planing a Road Trip To Down South From Kolkata

Thread Starter #1
Guys required your suggestion to plan my upcoming road trip to South India from Kolkata.My car is Swift Petrol.Mt tentative travel plan is

Kolkata to TANAKU distance 1100km

Tanaku to Pondecherry distance 740km

Pondecherry to Madurai distance 350km

Madurai to Rameswaram distance 180km

Rameswaram to Kanyakumari distance 300 km

How is the road condition in the selected locations and any other batter places that i have missed or any route suggestion as i am totally flexible to change the destinations.I want to see beautiful nature of South but i have only 9days in my hand.Thanks in advance.

Any staying options in the above mentioned places

Guys required your suggestion to plan my upcoming road trip to South India from Kolkata.My car is Swift Petrol.Mt tentative travel plan is
Kolkata to TANAKU distance 1100km
Tanaku to Pondecherry distance 740km
Pondecherry to Madurai distance 350km
Madurai to Rameswaram distance 180km
Rameswaram to Kanyakumari distance 300 km
How is the road condition in the selected locations and any other batter places that i have missed or any route suggestion as i am totally flexible to change the destinations. I want to see beautiful nature of South but i have only 9days in my hand. Thanks in advance. Any staying options in the above mentioned places
4 days will be consumed in travel from Kolkatta itself. If you fly to Chennai + Self-drive rentals, then you can earn two more days. 5 days are good enough for the locations mentioned. While return, you can do Kanyakumari - Chennai directly. Can be done in 11+ hrs (700 kms). Great roads too.

I am unable to comment on the route till Pondicherry.

Stay options in Pondicherry are umpteen to choose from. You can try Promenade, an expensive option though, right on the beach (but not on the sand though). Try the mutton samosa at the street vendor opposite to railway station. Try mamma-pappa Italian food at La Pasta.

Pondicherry - Madurai: Pondicherry - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Tholudur - Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai. 330+ kms. 6+ hrs. Great highway. Pondy - Villupuram could be heavy in traffic.

I recently stayed in Hotel Royal Court. Recommended. Park your car in the hotel. Use the local autos for local sightseeing. Have lunch at Kumar Mess / Amma Mess, if you are a non-veg.

Madurai - Rameswaram: Madurai - Thirubuvanam - Manamadurai - Paramakudi - Ramanathapuram - Rameswaram. Good roads. 160+ kms. 3+ hrs.

I haven't stayed in Rameswaram. Dhanushkodi is a must visit (with the new roads open).

Rameswaram - Kanyakumari: ECR all the way. Rameswaram - Thoothukudi - Thirunelveli - Nanguneri - Kanyakumari. 300+ kms. 5+ hrs travel. Good roads.

I recently stayed in Hotel Gopinivas Grand. Not recommended with respect to the sea view. Food was good though. Hotel Sea View had much better views, even though a little bit expensive. You get decent fish dishes (family loved it) from Hotel Sangam. Sunrise/Sunset are crowded beyond your expectation. So plan to be there early.

Thread Starter #3
4 days will be consumed in travel from Kolkatta itself. If you fly to Chennai + Self-drive rentals, then you can earn two more days. 5 days are good enough for the locations mentioned. While return, you can do Kanyakumari - Chennai directly. Can be done in 11+ hrs (700 kms). Great roads too.

I am unable to comment on the route till Pondicherry.

Stay options in Pondicherry are umpteen to choose from. You can try Promenade, an expensive option though, right on the beach (but not on the sand though). Try the mutton samosa at the street vendor opposite to railway station. Try mamma-pappa Italian food at La Pasta.

Pondicherry - Madurai: Pondicherry - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Tholudur - Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai. 330+ kms. 6+ hrs. Great highway. Pondy - Villupuram could be heavy in traffic.

I recently stayed in Hotel Royal Court. Recommended. Park your car in the hotel. Use the local autos for local sightseeing. Have lunch at Kumar Mess / Amma Mess, if you are a non-veg.

Madurai - Rameswaram: Madurai - Thirubuvanam - Manamadurai - Paramakudi - Ramanathapuram - Rameswaram. Good roads. 160+ kms. 3+ hrs.

I haven't stayed in Rameswaram. Dhanushkodi is a must visit (with the new roads open).

Rameswaram - Kanyakumari: ECR all the way. Rameswaram - Thoothukudi - Thirunelveli - Nanguneri - Kanyakumari. 300+ kms. 5+ hrs travel. Good roads.

I recently stayed in Hotel Gopinivas Grand. Not recommended with respect to the sea view. Food was good though. Hotel Sea View had much better views, even though a little bit expensive. You get decent fish dishes (family loved it) from Hotel Sangam. Sunrise/Sunset are crowded beyond your expectation. So plan to be there early.
Thanks a ton sir.Will follow your suggestions.

Top Bottom