Bangalore To Manipal Road Trip: Need Tips

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

My name is Ankit, I am new around here, I myself share a passion and enthusiasm for driving and going on road trips.

However, I have never been on the western coastal side, and I was thinking of going on a trip to the coastal city of Udupi, through Manipal, after picking up a few friends. I would be renting a self hire car from Bangalore and driving it down to Manipal. I required assistance regarding the quality of road to go to Manipal and which would be the most efficient route to travel by, to Manipal.

Hi Friends,

My name is Ankit, I am new around here, I myself share a passion and enthusiasm for driving and going on road trips.

However, I have never been on the western coastal side, and I was thinking of going on a trip to the coastal city of Udupi, through Manipal, after picking up a few friends. I would be renting a self hire car from Bangalore and driving it down to Manipal. I required assistance regarding the quality of road to go to Manipal and which would be the most efficient route to travel by, to Manipal.
Welcome to the forum dear.

Bangalore - Kunigal - Yediyur - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi Ghats - Belthangady - Bajegoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.

Hassan - Belur road conditions aren't ideal, but drive-able. Charmadi ghats is holding up. Road conditions post Belthangady - I am not sure.

The route via Sakleshpur - Gundya - Shiradi Ghats - Nellyadi can also be taken, barring the 20km stretch of bad roads.

Either way, plan for a drive time of ~8hrs. Additional 1-2 hrs in breaks.

Hi Friends,

Welcome to TAI,

Ideal route is Nelamanagala - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi. Road condition is excellent throughout bearing 3 to 4 km in Agumbe Ghat.
However please be advised that Agumbe ghat will be CLOSED from Dec 1 st to Dec 31 st. On these days either Charmadi ghat route or Shiradi Ghat route is sensible.
Drive safe

Welcome to TAI,

Ideal route is Nelamanagala - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi. Road condition is excellent throughout bearing 3 to 4 km in Agumbe Ghat.
However please be advised that Agumbe ghat will be CLOSED from Dec 1 st to Dec 31 st. On these days either Charmadi ghat route or Shiradi Ghat route is sensible.
Drive safe
Agumbe Ghat is in pristine condition now. I have never seen such an excellent section since last 25 years.

Charmadi has no complaints, one of the most beautiful place to drive in monsoon.

Shiradi as of today is in good condition. Wider and not so twisty roads connects to Mangalore, Udupi, Kukke, DSL from Bengaluru.

Top Bottom