Chennai To Guruvayur Trip: Suggestions Required

Thread Starter #1
Dear TAIgers,

I am planning to have a family trip to Guruvayur temple from Chennai in my 2013 Nano LX by November first week.

Planning to start around 6 am in the morning to reach Guruvayur by the same day evening.

I am having the below 2 routes in mind and yet to finalise one.

1. Chennai - Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Guruvayur.

2. Chennai - Trichy- Dindigul-Pollachi - Palakkad - Guruvayur.

Could you suggest the route which is comfortable to do interms of road condition, traffic, running time, short-cuts enroute etc...

Also any pointers regarding good hotels in Guruvayur?

Please suggest.

Re: Chennai to Guruvayur Trip - Suggestions required.

Hello,

I did few trips from Chennai to Guruvayur (Yearly once). I always prefer the below route because of less traffic.

Chennai - Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore-Wallayar-Palakkad-Shoranur- Pattambi -Guruvayur.

You can stay at Hotel Vishnu Inn or Hotel Mayura (very close to Temple).

Only Coimbatore to Wallayar road is not good.

I usually start from Chennai @ 4.30 am to avoid traffic and for me it took 11 to 12 hours to reach Guruvayur.

Dear TAIgers,

I am planning to have a family trip to Guruvayur temple from Chennai in my 2013 Nano LX by November first week.

Planning to start around 6 am in the morning to reach Guruvayur by the same day evening.

I am having the below 2 routes in mind and yet to finalise one.

1. Chennai - Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Guruvayur.

2. Chennai - Trichy- Dindigul-Pollachi - Palakkad - Guruvayur.

Could you suggest the route which is comfortable to do interms of road condition, traffic, running time, short-cuts enroute etc...

Also any pointers regarding good hotels in Guruvayur?

Please suggest.
route 1 is the good option. as roads between dindugal-palani-udumalaipettai-pollachi is not in good condition. or you can take the palani-kollumanam-thali- sungam-pollachi.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Chennai to Guruvayur Trip - Suggestions required.

Hello,

I did few trips from Chennai to Guruvayur (Yearly once). I always prefer the below route because of less traffic.

Chennai - Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore-Wallayar-Palakkad-Shoranur- Pattambi -Guruvayur.

You can stay at Hotel Vishnu Inn or Hotel Mayura (very close to Temple).

Only Coimbatore to Wallayar road is not good.

I usually start from Chennai @ 4.30 am to avoid traffic and for me it took 11 to 12 hours to reach Guruvayur.
Thanks.

Any idea about the current traffic situation of Walayar check post ?

It used to be messy due to trucks on either ways and crossing the check post had been a task by itself till a few years back.

Bro, I do Chennai Palakkad Trip every other month. Tambaram-Palakkad can be covered in seven hours at decent speeds. Ulundurpet route is the best option. Via Pollachi, roads are not that great. If you start by say 4 AM, you can avoid salem bypass traffic. Walayar cannot be predicted. But if there is truck - traffic jam, traffic is allowed on the wrong side at Walayar. Much time may not be lost. From Palakkad, i would suggest Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route since work is still on in palakkad - Thrishur section of NH. By all probabilities you can reach GVR in 11 hours with normal speeds.

Bro, I do Chennai Palakkad Trip every other month. Tambaram-Palakkad can be covered in seven hours at decent speeds. Ulundurpet route is the best option. Via Pollachi, roads are not that great. If you start by say 4 AM, you can avoid salem bypass traffic. Walayar cannot be predicted. But if there is truck - traffic jam, traffic is allowed on the wrong side at Walayar. Much time may not be lost. From Palakkad, i would suggest Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route since work is still on in palakkad - Thrishur section of NH. By all probabilities you can reach GVR in 11 hours with normal speeds.
Tambaram-Palakkad in 7 hours is simply awesome [clap]. It took almost 9 hours for me to reach Coimbatore, Mettupalayam highway to be precise. Are there any decent Vegetarian Restaurants on the way, Probably after Coimbatore? Also I think there were some Road widening near Ettimadai-Walayar road. Is it completed now? Any tips that needs to followed while driving on the Kerala side?

Tambaram-Palakkad in 7 hours is simply awesome [clap]. It took almost 9 hours for me to reach Coimbatore, Mettupalayam highway to be precise. Are there any decent Vegetarian Restaurants on the way, Probably after Coimbatore? Also I think there were some Road widening near Ettimadai-Walayar road. Is it completed now? Any tips that needs to followed while driving on the Kerala side?
Salem-Kochi Highway is littered with many vegetarian restaurants with decent food options. You can always try the Sree Saravana Bhavan (2-3 of them) on the highway.

Walayar: According to this report, not yet.... http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...d-trip-navi-mumbai-alleppey-3.html#post517947

Top Bottom