Need Suggestions on Hyderabad To Kodaikanal - Parambikulam - Valparai

Thread Starter #1
We are planning one more trip to the south.over a period of 01Oct-09Oct. Last year we did Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Kovalam-Kumarakom-Thekkady.

Planning on doing Madurai-Kodaikanal-Parambikulam-Valparai this october and have come with the following itinerary.

Day1 (30/09)- Hyderabad-Kurnool (Starting after office hours on 30/09).
Day2 (01/10)- Kurnool-Madurai
Day3 (02/10)- After temple visit Madurai-Kodaikanal
Day4 (03/10)- Local sight seeing Kodaikanal
Day5 (04/10)- Local sight seeing Kodaikanal
Day6 (05/10)- Kodaikanal-Parambikulam
Day7 (06/10)- Parambikulam-TopSlip-Valparai
Day8 (07/10)-Valparai-Athirapally-Valparai.
Day9 (08/10)- On the way back try Valparai-Shivanasamudra falls
Day10(09/10)-Shivanasamudra- Hyderabad

Looking for your suggestions -
1. Is three nights at Kodaikanal too much?
2. How is the road from Kodaikanal to Parambikulam? How much time does it take on average ? I am thinking of taking the One night stay package at Parambikulam forest (Parambikulam Tiger Reserve...)
3. On return from Valparai, how is the option of staying at Shivanasamudra? How is the road between Valparai to shivanasamudra ? Any other alternative for staying on the way back?
4. Are there any suggestions for better places that I might be missing?

Many Thanks!

Re: Need suggestions on Hyderabad to Kodaikanal-Parambikulam-Valparai

2 days is enough for kodai. only important attraction is drive to berigam lake. kodai to parambikulam can be covered in 4 hours max. kodai-palani city by pass- anamalai-top slip-parambikulam. Before entering palani take the by pass and go on udumalaipettai road, after a short duration ask for thali road. this road is more scenic passed through villages and coconut plantations instead of regular route via udumalaipettai. enroute you can cover thirumoorthy dam, falls, temple and amaravathi dam and crocodile park. If you are wild life lover go on munnar road and you can spot wild life.

top slip and parambikulam needs one day each. since there are lot of attractions. you can either opt to stay for either in top slip or parambikulam. top slip is comparetively cheaper. top slip needs prior booking in pollachi forest office.

the route from valapari-shivasamundra is good till chamrjanagar no idea after that. enroute checkout bhavanisagar dam- thengumarahada( if you are permitted)-talamalai. there are resorts around talamalai and also at hasanur.

Planning on doing Madurai-Kodaikanal-Parambikulam-Valparai.

Day1 (30/09)- Hyderabad-Kurnool (Starting after office hours on 30/09).
Day2 (01/10)- Kurnool-Madurai
Day6 (05/10)- Kodaikanal-Parambikulam
Day7 (06/10)- Parambikulam-TopSlip-Valparai
Day8 (07/10)-Valparai-Athirapally-Valparai.
Day9 (08/10)- On the way back try Valparai-Shivanasamudra falls
Day10(09/10)-Shivanasamudra- Hyderabad

Looking for your suggestions -
1. Is three nights at Kodaikanal too much?
2. How is the road from Kodaikanal to Parambikulam? How much time does it take on average ? I am thinking of taking the One night stay package at Parambikulam forest (Parambikulam Tiger Reserve...)
3. On return from Valparai, how is the option of staying at Shivanasamudra? How is the road between Valparai to shivanasamudra ? Any other alternative for staying on the way back?
4. Are there any suggestions for better places that I might be missing?

Many Thanks!
Here are my views. Great plan!

1. Yes, 2 nights will probably do it. The day you save, you could probably have 1 more day stay @ K Gudi.

2. Kodaikanal - Parambikulam: The route will be through Palani - Udumalaipet. Not sure if you have to go all the way to Pollachi & then turn left for Parambikulam. Palani - Udumalaipet - Pollachi section: Roads are good. Easily 4-5 hrs. The standard route from Bangalore is Bangalore - Pollachi - Ambarampalayam - Vettaikaranpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam. You can try this route Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam - Salaiyur - Pudur - Anamalai - Vettaikaranpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam. I don't know the road conditions post Mukkonam till Anamalai. Alternative is to go till Pollachi & follow the route from Bangalore, much easier & cleaner route. The difference is just 5+ kms overall.

3. Shivanasamudra is just a dam project. You can try Nijaguna Residency @ Chamarajnagar or better stay at K Gudi Wilderness Camp. The K Gudi safari is very good. I heard that a Black Panther was seen roaming on the road near Navamalai (around Valparai) 1-2 months ago.

4. Madurai: Light-sound show @ Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal (between 630-830pm, probably Day 2 night, if not too tired).
Parambikulam: Apart from the safari, Kanimara (teak tree) is probably one more thing to do. But it is just a tree!
Valparai: There is a nice flowing river just 4-5 kms from the Valparai town & it is adjoining to the road. Kids will love this. I can't recall the name of the place. It is not Monkey falls. Do an early morning bird watching visit to Korangumudi Tea Estate / Sholayar Dam (if you are staying in Valparai town itself). 2 weeks back, we saw 10-12 birds & 2-3 animals. Just turn around whenever you feel you have driven too much.
Shivanasamudra: At-least 3 places from which you can see these falls. When I had been there in June, there wasn't much water, but much better than April-May though. At Gaganchukki, they don't allow down the stairs for sometime now. Beware of the monkeys.

Apart from the above, you need to bypass Bangalore onward & return journeys.

Day 1: I know you might have already considered stretching the drive upto Bangalore. Day 2 drive (Kurnool - Madurai, although the roads are excellent all through with variety of options to stop over) will be ~800kms, 12-13 hrs drive. Assuming a 4am/6am start at Kurnool on 1st Oct, you will be in Devanahalli between 8am/10am, peak hours being a Saturday (and probably a long weekend, 3rd Oct is Muharram).

Day 2: Onward bypassing Bangalore: Are you planning to take the NH 207 (old numbering)? Devanahalli - Hoskote route? There are some not-so-good sections. But much better than traveling through the city. Do note that Google will suggest (sometimes) a small deviation to bypass Chikkatirupathi. Return bypassing Bangalore: Hope you are considering entering NICE Road in Kanakpura Road. You can exit NICE Road to go all the way upto to Doddabalapura - Devanahalli (recommended) or exit to Mysore Road - ORR - Yeswantpur - Hebbal (not recommended).

Day 7: Valparai climb is about 1.5 - 2 hrs minimum. I think there is a closure at 6pm at the checkpost.

Day 8: Athirapally is about 50-75kms (depending on where you stay in Valparai). Easily 1.5 - 2 hrs journey one way.

Day 9: Valparai - Shivanasamudra: Valparai - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi - Annur - Puliyampatti - Satyamangalam - Bannari - Hasanur - Punjanur - Chamarajnagar - Yelandur - Kollegal - Shivanasamudra. NH 948 (new numbering)
Option 2: Valparai - Pollachi - Kamanayakkanpalayam - Karanampettai - Somanur - Annur - Puliyampatti - Bhavani - Bannari - same route from here. I don't know the road conditions between Kamanayakkanpalayam - Annur.

Last edited:

kodai-palani city by pass- anamalai-top slip-parambikulam. Before entering palani take the by pass and go on udumalaipettai road, after a short duration ask for thali road. this road is more scenic passed through villages and coconut plantations instead of regular route via udumalaipettai.
I suppose you were referring to this route.
Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam (Thali - Anamalai Road) - Salaiyur - Pudur - Anamalai - Vettaikaranpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam. In that case, thanks for the clarification on the road conditions.

the route from valapari-shivasamundra is good till chamrjanagar no idea after that. enroute checkout bhavanisagar dam- thengumarahada( if you are permitted)-talamalai. there are resorts around talamalai and also at hasanur.
Thanks for the update on the road conditions upto Chamarajnagar. What would be his route till Bhavani? Would it be through Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi - Annur (or) Pollachi - Kamanayakkanpalayam - Karanampettai - Somanur - Annur?

What did you mean by 'you are permitted'? I thought the Dhimbam ghat section route can be done. Only commercial vehicles such as lorries weren't allowed.

yes you are right. I was referring to thali road which is a peaceful road than the busy udumalai road.

valparai-pollachi-take annur road on sultanpet-annur- bhavanisagar dam-banari-talamalai-chamrajnagar. or

valaparai-pollachi-annur-sathy-banari-talamalai-chamrajnagar.

route 1 by passes sathy town. route 2 passes through sathy and joins route 1 in bannnari.

I was referring to thengumarahada tribal hamlet which is in sathy tiger reserve is a protected place. permits can be obtained from project tiger office in sathy on gobichitipalayam road.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Guys for such detailed replies .
I have decided to reduce stay at Kodai by one day. Effectively 2 nights in Kodai. So tentative plan would be
Day1- We would probably start a day later and drive only till Hosur on the first day.
Day2 - Hosur-Madurai. Followed by Meenakshi temple and maybe sound/light show.
Day3 - Madurai-Kodaikanal , try to reach by 11:00AM, Local sight seeing.
Day4 - Kodaikanal (Berijam lake)
Day5 - Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam (Thali - Anamalai Road) - Salaiyur - Pudur - Anamalai - Vettaikaranpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam
Day6 - Parambikulam-Topslip (If possible get elephant safari)-Valparai (target to reach by 4:00PM)
Day7 - Valparai-Athirapally-Valparai
Day8 - Maybe Sivanasamudra/gaganchukki??
Day9 - Reach Hyderabad

@pravin1987, Topslip was infact shortlisted after reading your travelogue on Topslip as we were going so close to it. [thumbsup].

@CasualSurfer, Reagrding bangalore bypass- Last year we did Hyderabad-Salem in a day on way to Kanyakumari and took the bypass from Devanhalli to Hoskote. It was around 4:30PM and took me almost 2.5 hours from Devanhalli to get back on the Highway after Hosur. The roads were not so good in some patches but still in hindsight I think its better than travelling in the city as our return journey was through Bangalore city - took the Outer Ring Road (Got mislead by the name ORR. It is anything but 'outer') and it was so tiring to cross bangalore.

Thanks once again, will finalise my plan soon.

Last edited:
I have decided to reduce stay at Kodai by one day.
Day1- We would probably start a day later and drive only till Hosur on the first day.
Great choice. Hyderbad - Hosur is definitely doable & stress free Day 2 as well.
Day2 - Hosur-Madurai. Followed by Meenakshi temple and maybe sound/light show.
6+ hrs with breaks. Totally peaceful roads as well.
Day5 - Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipet - Mukkonam (Thali - Anamalai Road) - Salaiyur - Pudur - Anamalai - Vettaikaranpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam
Day 5 could be Topslip. You will be crossing Topslip before Parambikulam. Day 6 could be Parambikulam.
Day6 - Parambikulam-Topslip (If possible get elephant safari)-Valparai (target to reach by 4:00PM)
Parambikulam - Valparai is 3+ hrs. Curvy roads all the way + 40 hairpin bends. You still have to come to Aliyar & then climb up.
@pravin1987, Topslip was infact shortlisted after reading your travelogue on Topslip as we were going so close to it. [thumbsup].
Totally forgot about this beauty.

@CasualSurfer, took the Outer Ring Road (Got mislead by the name ORR. It is anything but 'outer') and it was so tiring to cross bangalore.
It is anything but ORR. If you are coming back via Hosur (not a detour to Shivanasamudra), then you can go through the same bypass Attibele/Hosur - Hoskote - Devanahalli. If you are coming back via Kanakpura / Mysore Road, my suggestion would be to get on to the NICE road.

Option 2: Valparai - Pollachi - Kamanayakkanpalayam - Karanampettai - Somanur - Annur - Puliyampatti - Bhavani - Bannari - same route from here. I don't know the road conditions between Kamanayakkanpalayam - Annur.
Please read Bhavani (in the above route) as Bhavanisagar Dam. I had traveled from Mettupalayam to Bannari upto Bangalore last weekend. Will update the detailed road conditions in the Bangalore to Ooty thread.

The road between Mettupalayam - Bannari (short cut without going into Sathyamangalam) is good. The route joins at Puliyampatti, in the above route. Very few undulations, but nothing to worry.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions- I had a fantastic trip. We took the following route Hyderabad-Hosur-Madurai-Kodai-Mannavanur-Kodai-Parambikulam-Valparai-Athirapally-Valparai-Shivanasamudra-Hyderabad.
At Kodaikanal, unfortunately could not go to Berijam lake. Forest department had closed the entrance to Berijam for few days since an herd of elephants had come in there. So instead we went to Mannavanur which again is an amazing place.
The roads were superb all the way through (except for the Sethumadai-Parambikulam stretch which is understandable as one cannot expect good road deep inside forest!)
The ghat to Valparai with the 40 hairpin bends was the highlight. Dhimbam ghat was a surprise with 27 hairpin bends. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive.

So overall a great trip. I have posted some of the snaps in my ownership thread here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...014-buying-ownership-review-5.html#post517380

Top Bottom