Mysore: 3 Day Trip. Need Help To Plan Itinerary

Thread Starter #1
Planning to visit Mysore for a 3 day trip next month. Travelling with family (2 kids 5 and 10 yrs age). This is the first time driving on the Chennai (Tambaram) to Bangalore / Mysore road. So need some help.

If I start at 4 from Tambaram in Chennai - when can I expect to reach Mysore (Hotel Ruchi) with a 1 hr break for BF ?
Planning to have BF after crossing Krishnagairi toll. Saw few hotels in maps - Sarava Bhavan, Mangalam, A2B (right side). Which is good ? Any other suggestions ?

Planning below Itinerary: Would like to know suggestions.

Friday
Start from Tambaram at 4 AM
Reach Hotel in Mysore around 2 PM
After lunch, Visit KRS.

Saturday
Visit Mysuru Zoo - morning
Karanji Lake & Butterfly Park - noon
Mysore Palace - evening

Sunday
Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary - is it worth to visit now ?
What other nearby places I can see for rest of the day ?
Thought of driving to Nagarahole NP for a Safari. But read somewhere that its closed for monsoon.

Monday
Check out and proceed to Electronic City to meet a relative. If I start from Electronic city at 2 PM - will i have to face a lot of traffic ? Can I reach Tambaram by 7 PM ?

I am not sure about your route queries from your place, but I will suggest to avoid Bangalore and Mysore Highway for Monday return if you a
re starting around 6 or 8 AM. I have seen huge traffic and lot of crazy drivers driving very dangerously [frustration]

1. There will be Mysore Palace light illumination on Sundays and all public holidays between 19 and 19:45. So better plan visiting this on Sunday Evening than Saturday

2. You can add one more place to Visit - Chamundeswari Temple on Chamundi Hills before lunch time

3. Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary - Mostly Birds will be here around summer as per Local boatmen there and if you are lucky you can watch Crocodiles [clap]

4. Karanji Lake & Butterfly Park - When We visited , I did not like this place much as it was raining and the whole place was muddy and slippery, but with Kids you may like it. Suggest you to check with locals before paying a visit

Thread Starter #3
I am not sure about your route queries from your place, but I will suggest to avoid Bangalore and Mysore Highway for Monday return if you a
re starting around 6 or 8 AM. I have seen huge traffic and lot of crazy drivers driving very dangerously [frustration]

1. There will be Mysore Palace light illumination on Sundays and all public holidays between 19 and 19:45. So better plan visiting this on Sunday Evening than Saturday

2. You can add one more place to Visit - Chamundeswari Temple on Chamundi Hills before lunch time

3. Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary - Mostly Birds will be here around summer as per Local boatmen there and if you are lucky you can watch Crocodiles [clap]

4. Karanji Lake & Butterfly Park - When We visited , I did not like this place much as it was raining and the whole place was muddy and slippery, but with Kids you may like it. Suggest you to check with locals before paying a visit
Thanks Pradeep. Will plan to visit the palace on Sunday night then.
The Monday that I am traveling is a holiday - Aug 15. What is the best time to travel from Mysore to Bangalore on Monday morning ? I should be there in Electronic city by 12.

Thanks Pradeep. Will plan to visit the palace on Sunday night then.
The Monday that I am traveling is a holiday - Aug 15. What is the best time to travel from Mysore to Bangalore on Monday morning ? I should be there in Electronic city by 12.
As 15th Aug is a Holiday, for your return journey from Mysore to Bangalore EC I think there will not be much traffic early morning like normal regular Monday.
As per my opinion probably you can start around or before 7 AM if possible and count in 2.5 - 3 Hours to reach EC with small Breakfast break at Kamat Lokaruchi OR MTR [:D] [cheers]

Last edited:
A2B is a good option. It is around 30 kms from Krishnagiri toll. It is on the right side, so you will have to take a U turn. If reach too early, drive up to Hosur and there is another A2B on the left in the Chennai Silks complex.

Mysore Zoo is worth visiting. Kids will like it.

Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary... I have never been there. Migratory birds might have left. But I did see some painted storks, spot-billed pelicans, pintails still hanging around in Thirunenveli.

Be sure to take the NICE road to avoid Bangalore traffic.

Have a great trip. :-)

Thread Starter #6
As 15th Aug is a Holiday, for your return journey from Mysore to Bangalore EC I think there will not be much traffic early morning like normal regular Monday.
As per my opinion probably you can start around or before 7 AM if possible and count in 2.5 - 3 Hours to reach EC with small Breakfast break at Kamat Lokaruchi OR MTR [:D] [cheers]
Thanks Pradeep. Will plan to check out by 6:30. Will sure try Kamat Lokaruchi[thumbsup]

A2B is a good option. It is around 30 kms from Krishnagiri toll. It is on the right side, so you will have to take a U turn. If reach too early, drive up to Hosur and there is another A2B on the left in the Chennai Silks complex.

Mysore Zoo is worth visiting. Kids will like it.

Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary... I have never been there. Migratory birds might have left. But I did see some painted storks, spot-billed pelicans, pintails still hanging around in Thirunenveli.

Be sure to take the NICE road to avoid Bangalore traffic.

Have a great trip. :-)
Thanks Peter. Being first time drive - hope I don't miss to take the NICE road.

Thanks Peter. Being first time drive - hope I don't miss to take the NICE road.
After the elevated highway starts, keep left and at the first signal,take the service road on the left side of the road. Then climb up the ramp on the left to join the NICE road.
Adding to what Highway Ranger has mentioned, you can keep below checkpoints to take the Nice Road. If we stick to Main road sometimes we will be struck at the Signal and sometimes it will be difficult to join the left side of the service road from the main road due to trucks traffic [frustration]

Note That after the Attibele Toll , you will cross Narayana Hospital at Chandapur and then Bommasandra via small flyover, till here its a signal free high way and after this you will encounter a Signal at Veerasandra.
Just after the Signal you can see the Toll Booths for the Elevated highway on left side of the main road. After the signal, keep left on the main road and in around 100 meters you will be crossing D-Mart and just after this here you can join the Service road and go straight to join Nice Road.
On the Service Road, you will pass through Infosys office on the left [:D] and then you should get a Signal which will be Konappana Agrahara Signal ( this is the same Signal mentioned by Highway Ranger). After the signal keep left on the same service road and you will see Sign boards for Nice road on the left and then as said in other post take the ramp to Join the Nice road. After the signal the ramp is less than 100 meters but keep left.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Adding to what Highway Ranger has mentioned, you can keep below checkpoints to take the Nice Road. If we stick to Main road sometimes we will be struck at the Signal and sometimes it will be difficult to join the left side of the service road from the main road due to trucks traffic [frustration]

Note That after the Attibele Toll , you will cross Narayana Hospital at Chandapur and then Bommasandra via small flyover, till here its a signal free high way and after this you will encounter a Signal at Veerasandra.
Just after the Signal you can see the Toll Booths for the Elevated highway on left side of the main road. After the signal, keep left on the main road and in around 100 meters you will be crossing D-Mart and just after this here you can join the Service road and go straight to join Nice Road.
On the Service Road, you will pass through Infosys office on the left [:D] and then you should get a Signal which will be Konappana Agrahara Signal ( this is the same Signal mentioned by Highway Ranger). After the signal keep left on the same service road and you will see Sign boards for Nice road on the left and then as said in other post take the ramp to Join the Nice road. After the signal the ramp is less than 100 meters but keep left.
Pradeep. Thanks a lot for taking time to post this. I can literally visualize the route now with your directions. Thanks a lot !!!

Planning to visit Mysore for a 3 day trip next month. Travelling with family (2 kids 5 and 10 yrs age). This is the first time driving on the Chennai (Tambaram) to Bangalore / Mysore road. So need some help.

If I start at 4 from Tambaram in Chennai - when can I expect to reach Mysore (Hotel Ruchi) with a 1 hr break for BF ?

Monday
Check out and proceed to Electronic City to meet a relative. If I start from Electronic city at 2 PM - will i have to face a lot of traffic ? Can I reach Tambaram by 7 PM ?
Hi Arunprasad,

Just thought to cover the unanswered part as well.

I am assuming that you are traveling from Tambaram to Mysore on Friday (12th Aug). If you can manage 4am start (with 2 kids, amazing man!!), you can easily reach Mysore by 2pm with breaks. 8+ hrs journey.

Tambaram - Sriperumbudur - Arcot - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Electronic City - NICE Road - Mysore Road - Bidadi - Ramnagara - Channapatna - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Mysore.

The drive upto Electronic City will be great (excepting Sriperumbudur - Kanchipuram stretch where there are a lot of bumps on the road).

The drive on NICE road will be heavy with traffic on a typical Friday morning.

The drive on Mysore Road all the way up to Mysore will be having usual medium-heavy traffic. Lots of unruly drivers overtaking from left-right-wherever gap is.

Alternatively if you want some adventure, you can also try this route.
Tambaram - Sriperumbudur - Arcot - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Electronic City - NICE Road - Kanakpura Road - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Harohalli - Mysore. Much more scenic, less traffic route, 2-laned without divider route. Disadvantage is that very less options for bio-breaks / restaurants. Both will be of almost the same travel time.

Return trip (15th Aug, Monday)
Starting at 2pm in Electronic City, you should not face any difficulty in getting out to Hosur Road at all. But that can't be said about the toll queues / mad traffic between Bangalore - Chennai highway. I suppose, you just have to brave-it-out.

May be you want to try this for return route. After Kaveripakkam (in old AH 45 / NH 48) - Kanchipuram - Walajabad - Oragadam - Vandalur - Tambaram. I don't know about the latest road conditions after the monsoon for this route though. You might be able to avoid traffic snarls on the original route via Sriperumbudur.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks for those suggestions.

I normally start at 3:30 or 4 AM for trips and kids are used to it. We have done Ooty, Kodaikanal, Wayanad, Valparai, Munnar like this.

Will try the Kanakapura route. But on return, will decide on that day whether to take Sriperumbudur or Kancheepuram route depending on what time I am reaching Kaveripakkam.

I would like to avoid GST road (vandalur to tambaram stretch) especially on the eve of last day of a long weekend break. My home is on the Tambaram to Velechery road.

Top Bottom