Bangalore To Tirupati Route Suggestion: NH46 or NH4?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We are planning for Tirumala trip from Bangalore, have 2 days in hand. Planning to cover following places on the way to Tirupati, which route would be the right choice?

Day 1: Bangalore > Vellore Golden Temple
Day 1: Vellore Golden Temple > Kanipakam Ganapthy temple
Day 1: Kanipakam Ganapthy temple > Tirupathi
Day 1: Night stay at Tirupathi
Day 2: Tirupathi > Tirumala for Darshan
Day 2: Night stay at Tirupathi
Day 3: Back to Bangalore... (Start early morning from Tirupathi)

Route 1: NH46 - Bangalore Electronic City > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore > Kanipakam > Tirupathi - 318 KM

Route 2: NH4 - Bangalore KRPuram > Kolar > Mulbagal > Palamner > Kanipakam > Tirupathi

It seems like the route 2 is not ideal, if we want to visit Vellore golden temple. I will be travelling in my Hyundai i10 along with a small kid and family, looking for decent route with good rood conditions and less traffic hassles. Please advice.

Thanks,
Kalyan.

Re: Suggest route - Bangalore to Tirupati - NH46 or NH4?

Route 1 any day
Route 2 is risky and accident prone

Re: Suggest route - Bangalore to Tirupati - NH46 or NH4?

Route 2 is much better and less traffic. had recently been to Tirupati by this route with family and it was a pleasant drive. we went Via Chitoor, as soon as you reach Chitoor Signal and take a left turn from there you will get little traffic for about 40 kms and then again you take right towards tirupati after that its all empty stretch again.

you have to leave from Bangalore early so that you don't get stuck in traffic from ORR road towards KR puram and afterwards.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
We are planning for Tirumala trip from Bangalore, have 2 days in hand.

Route 1: NH46 - Bangalore Electronic City > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore > Kanipakam > Tirupathi - 318 KM

Route 2: NH4 - Bangalore KRPuram > Kolar > Mulbagal > Palamner > Kanipakam > Tirupathi

It seems like the route 2 is not ideal, if we want to visit Vellore golden temple. I will be travelling in my Hyundai i10 along with a small kid and family, looking for decent route with good rood conditions and less traffic hassles. Please advice.

Thanks,
Kalyan.
With respect to the itinerary:
Day 1: Depending on where you stay in Bangalore & when you want to reach Tirupathi, you can schedule your starts.
3.5 hrs from Electronic City to Vellore Golden Temple (including breaks)
2 hrs for darshan
1 hr for lunch
2 hrs for Kanipakkam
1 hr for darshan
2 hrs for Tirupathi.

Your day 2 & day 3 are pretty much relaxed.

With respect to the routes, I did some googling for you.
Bangalore to Vellore Golden Temple
https://goo.gl/maps/fSoahjyYWj12

Suggested Google route is fine.

Please note that you need not go to Vellore & come back. After Pallikonda, you have to turn right into smaller road till you reach SH 122. Should be decent roads (not sure after the recent rains, or rather showers). From Electronic City Toll, you should be able to cover the distance in 3-3.5 hrs with breaks. You have excellent options for breakfasts as well as bio breaks. A2B before Krishnagiri is still your best choice considering road access / clean toilets.

If you are starting early (earlier than 7am), no need to take the elevated expressway. Traffic will be thin even under the bridge.

From what I gather, the temple is open between 4am - 8pm. Abhishekam is between 4am - 8am (needs very early starts from Blr!!) & Aarthi seva is between 6pm - 7pm. Lunch @ Annadhanam is between 12pm - 3pm. You have plenty of options for lunch in Vellore town though. I am not sure about other food options in & around the temple.

No problem for your i10. You can cruise at 80-100 very easily, if not tempted for more speed.

Vellore Golden Temple to Kanipakkam
https://goo.gl/maps/Qx1dRux9CA52

~60 kms. 1.5 - 2 hrs. You have to go through Vellore town. Medium - heavy traffic inside the town as well as till Katpadi. No major worries for i10.

Kanipakkam to Tirupathi
It is a straight forward route. ~70 kms. You should be able to do this in 1.5 - 2 hrs. I suppose you have already arranged the accommodation & online darshan bookings, etc. No major worries for i10.

Tirupathi to Bangalore - Return
https://goo.gl/maps/sippQ8gZvH72

You can try this on your return via Kanipakkam. As you may be aware, the NH4 stretch is dual carriageway without a divider. Mind the trucks / buses plying this route at very high speeds. If you need 6-lane almost all the way, go all the way upto Vellore, take the AH 45 till Krishnagiri & then onto NH7 till Bangalore. Very peaceful roads, as you would have experienced it in your onward journey, with plenty of options for breaks.

You can also visit Kanipakkam on your return (rather than on your onward journey) to cut the itinerary on a tiresome day 1.

Travelled to Tirupati & Tirumala last weekend.Took Kolar - Mulabagal - Palamaner - Kanipakam temple - Tirupati route.
From Hoskote toll till Chittoor bypass it is good four lane/six lane road. Road in AP section is concrete with bunches of very mild rumbler strips where as in KA side they are real worries. There are no signage and suddenny bunches of rumbler strips (should be called as Humps only) which are capable of damaging suspension of any vehicle. Roads are getting wide from Chittoor bypass (NH 40) and infact they are making it as a 6 lane roads. Single carriage road is in good condition with few minor pothole and overall this route is preferred as of now. From Kanipakam I took interior road which is wider and with almost Zero traffic and joined main road near Puthalpatti.

Tirumala Ghat road surface is superb on both way. Returning also took same route next day morning after Padmavati darshan at 12 PM

Started at 6 AM on Nov 1, 2019 from Jalahalli West and reached Kanipakam temple by 10 AM, left KPM at 11:30 and reached Tirupati at 12:30 PM

My Darshan was at 4:00 PM So finished lunch and started towards Tirumala. Usual checking at ghat entrance took around 40 minutes. Reached Tirumala at 3:30 and started for Darshan(almost 2 hours in queue). by 9:30 PM started towards Tirupati and reached hotel by 10:30. Next day started late towards Padmavati temple at 10 AM, really huge crowd and took 2 hours to complete Darshan and started towards Bengaluru at 12:30 PM. Had 2 -3 long breaks in between for Lunch and relaxation, made a big mistake by reaching Hoskote toll at 6PM. Next 30 Kms it was sweet 2 hours on road Saturday evening.

Total KMs :620
Car : Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI (Petrol)
FE : 15.6

Top Bottom