Suggestions For Trip To Ooty From Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Guys,
Me & my family (2 adults, 2 kids) reaching Banglore by air on 28th Apr (Thursday) at 7:30 am & leaving Banglore airport at 10pm on 2nd May by air. Meanwhile, I am planning a trip to ooty.

Please suggest me on following things.
1)Self drive cab options.

2)Chouffer driven taxi

3)good & worth eating places on the way to ooty & in Banglore & ooty (veg and non veg)

4) hotels /staying places in ooty.

5) sight seeing in ooty & Banglore.

Thread Starter #2
Re: Suggestions for trip to ooty from Banglore

Friends,
Thinking of going to Ooty via Mysore, planning a night stay in a hotel near Vrindawan Garden. Suggest me hotels to stay near or on the way to Ooty from Vrindawan Garden.

How is Banglore to Mysore to Ooty road?

Re: Suggestions for trip to ooty from Banglore

bangalore is ooty is good expect a few patches near gundulpet. the road from masinagudi to gudalur is being relaid. not sure whether the work is completed or not. The road from gudalur to ooty is also good.

Alternatively you can take the 36 hair pin road via masaingudi.

Thread Starter #4
Is it possible to cover the sight seeing in OOTY with two nights stay (meaning two day light days) ?, or better to devote 3 day light days?

Is it possible to cover the sight seeing in OOTY with two nights stay (meaning two day light days) ?, or better to devote 3 day light days?
It depends on your interests. There are 2 ways to get to Ooty. One through Gudalar and one through Masinagudi.

(day 1)
I would recommend you hiring a Zoomcar and drive yourself. Take the Gudalur while going up. You can cover Needle rock view point, pykara lake, pykara waterfalls, frog hill view point, Cinema Shooting Spot on the way and reach Ooty.

(day 2)
@ Ooty - Botanical Garden, Rose garden, lake, and some shopping for Ooty chocolates, etc. It would take us a day for that.

(day 3)
Drive to Doddabetta peak, form there to Coonoor sim's park. That route to Coonoor is way better with less traffic than the main Ooty - Coonoor route. If you want to see view points in Coonoor, then Lamb's rock, Lady Canning's seat, Laws falls and then back to Ooty.
OR
Drive down to Coonoor early morning, park the car at Coonoor railway station, take the mountain train shuttle service to Ooty and return back in the same train to Coonoor (check the train timings at Ooty station the previous day) and then do the sight seeing in Coonoor and reach Ooty through Doddabetta peak.

(day 4)

Drive down back through Masinagudi covering Kalhatti falls and masinagudi on the way. (one day)

I hope this helps.

Depends on what you like to see whether the crowded or the peaceful side.

day 1: check out mudumalai and bandipur safari, drive to moyar, singara and stay at resorts. My recommendation is Inn the wild bokkapuram. nominal charges, food faciltieis, food, night safari in the vechiles

day 2: drive to ooty via gudalur on the way you can check out pykara boat house, shooting spot, Glenmorgan estates and drive to ooty.

day 3: you can spend day 3 in ooty. botanical garden, boating or else you can drive to upper bhavani and mukuruthi national park. the place has a charm of it's own and it's very natural. you can drive till upper bhavani dam. Getting past the dam, requires permission or you can bribe the guard. there are also staying options via the forest guest house.

for stay in mukuruthi check out: Tamil Nadu Forest Department.

there are 4 ways of reaching the park. the best option is Avalanchee which is 30 km. from Ooty From Avalanchi, Upper Bhavani is further 25kms. The roads are bad.

Do check out the elephant ride at mudumalai. personally I prefered the elephant safari rather than van.

Hi Tornado.

The best way to enjoy the trip is Self drive.

I suggest you to take a Car from Zoom Car probably(CITY/CIAZ) as it will be spacious for 4.

Route: Leave by morning 2 AM from Bangalore Via Mysore . You will reach Bandipur forest entry by 6. It is the best time to spot animals.
Once you enter Bandipur forest continue the strait road and then you will enter Mudumalai Forest. Once you are in Mudumalai Forest you will reach a bridge the left takes you to Ooty and right to Kerala. Take the left road keep following the road and after 37 hairpin bends you are in OOTY.

I will share the contact information of the Hotel where we stayed during our trip. It is a nice Hotel The cost is 1200 per room of 2. They also provide VEG/NON VEG Food.

The best places to visit in OOty are: Doddabetta, Avalanche Lake, Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Emerald Lake(Clear water), Tea factory and Botanical Garden.
All these places close by evening 4 PM.
Open 9-4. So plan the travel accordingly from Ooty. Avalanche Lake is 32 KM from Botanical Garden. Avalanche Lake is the only far away place from the heart of OOTY but a must visit place.

In the trip be prepared to see elephants, tigers, boars, deer and many wild life from the time you enter Bandipur all the way till OOTY.
Will share the contact soon. I have to check my records.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks a lot, HR, mparjoon5, praveen, for the replies . Is it worth spending a day in Banglore especially from kid's point of view?
I was thinking of showing them HAL HERITAGE CENTRE AND AEROSPACE MUSEUM, Cubbon Park, Lalbagh etc, I am skeptical due to traffic conditions in Banglore & summer heat.

Is it a altogether different viewing experience when you compare the mountain train & Bandipur to ooty travel by car? And how much time does it take from Ooty to Coonoor & then back to ooty by the mountain train?

Will the Honda Amaze ground clearance enough to handle the Banglore - mysore - Ooty - Banglore roads?
Because at zoom car, Amaze is cheaper than City, Ciaz, scorpio, Safari.

Last edited:
No, the water was less in the falls even by the end of mid feb guess it should be completly dry now. it rained less during the past monsoon as the rain gods shifted their focus to chennai

Is it a altogether different viewing experience when you compare the mountain train & Bandipur to ooty travel by car? And how much time does it take from Ooty to Coonoor & then back to ooty by the mountain train?
Yes, it is a different experience. Actually I recommend you drive down to Coonoor, park the car at the station and board the train to Ooty and return by the same train. Then do the Coonoor sight seeing.

You cannot book the ticket online. You have to buy it in the ticket counter at the station. you can get the train timing from Ooty station when you reach Ooty. The to and fro journey will be less than 2 hours.

Will the Honda Amaze ground clearance enough to handle the Banglore - mysore - Ooty - Banglore roads?
Because at zoom car, Amaze is cheaper than City, Ciaz, scorpio, Safari.
I do it in city. But there are some real bad patches between mudhumalai and Ooty.

I am not sure about Pykara waterfalls, but Pykara lake is any day better than Ooty lake.

BTW, Bangalore is real hot these days.

Hope you have a great trip.

Ya Amaze will be fine. But you will face some bad roads in th forest area.

The phone number of the Hotel where I stayed is 08098223831/ Name :Gangahl

Thread Starter #15
Due to Banglore hot weather, I am feeling like cancelling Banglore stay & sight seeing at Banglore.

Thinking of taking Ghodalur while returning back to banglore from ooty.
How much distance is Ooty to Ghodalur?
Is it worth over night staying spot near Ghodlur, cinema shooting spot, Pykara lake?

Top Bottom