Chennai To Ooty Road Condition Update Needed

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

I'm planning to do a road trip to Ooty by mid of next week. I would like to know the current road conditions especially after the recent rains.

There are 2 routes [cry] :-

1. Chennai - Dindivanam - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Salem (by pass) -Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayem - Ooty

2. Chennai - Vellore - Vaniyambadi - Krishnagiri - thoppur - Mettur - Gobi - Anthiyur - Sathi - Mettupalayem - Ooty

Since i'm a frequent traveler to Vellore and i know the bad strech till Arcod. Post which the road are fabulous. Likewise the i have travelling to Dindivanam often and do not know the road conditions beyond that. Last time when i traveled this route to Salem it was under construction (this was some 5 years back).

Currently i'm unaware of the road conditions, please help [confused] to know the road conditions from Ulundurpet and Salem stretch.

As per google maps, the Ulundurpet - Salem road is the shortest amongst the other roads.

Cheers,
Ash...

I travelled on Oct last year before the rains. Took the first route and reached Ooty via Kotagiri. Entire stretch was fantastic when I went.

Started at 3:30 AM from Selaiyur (East Tambaram) and reached Ooty at 12 noon. 570 KM approx. This includes 1 hr 30 minutes break for breakfast, diesel fill etc.

Dear All,

I'm planning to do a road trip to Ooty by mid of next week. I would like to know the current road conditions especially after the recent rains.

There are 2 routes [cry] :-

1. Chennai - Dindivanam - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Salem (by pass) -Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayem - Ooty

2. Chennai - Vellore - Vaniyambadi - Krishnagiri - thoppur - Mettur - Gobi - Anthiyur - Sathi - Mettupalayem - Ooty

Since i'm a frequent traveler to Vellore and i know the bad strech till Arcod. Post which the road are fabulous. Likewise the i have travelling to Dindivanam often and do not know the road conditions beyond that. Last time when i traveled this route to Salem it was under construction (this was some 5 years back).

Currently i'm unaware of the road conditions, please help [confused] to know the road conditions from Ulundurpet and Salem stretch.

As per google maps, the Ulundurpet - Salem road is the shortest amongst the other roads.

Cheers,
Ash...
Salem-Ulundurpet road is a lovely stretch.
I had been to Ooty a few months before and we took the Kotagiri route. It was a fantastic route and decent roads too.
The traffic on the Metupalayam-Conoor-Ooty road is terrible and the roads aren't good as well.

Thread Starter #4
I travelled on Oct last year before the rains. Took the first route and reached Ooty via Kotagiri. Entire stretch was fantastic when I went.

Started at 3:30 AM from Selaiyur (East Tambaram) and reached Ooty at 12 noon. 570 KM approx. This includes 1 hr 30 minutes break for breakfast, diesel fill etc.
Thank you Arun Prasad. That was a quick travel done in less than 7hrs.

Even I'm planning to take the Kotagiri road.

Cheers,
Ash...

Salem-Ulundurpet road is a lovely stretch.
I had been to Ooty a few months before and we took the Kotagiri route. It was a fantastic route and decent roads too.
The traffic on the Metupalayam-Conoor-Ooty road is terrible and the roads aren't good as well.
DJ bro - Thanks for the update.

I also prefer taking the Kotagiri road than the Coonoor road because of the traffic and road conditions.

Cheers,
Ash...

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom