Originally Posted by csdeka
Unfortunately, have not received any response as yet.
Can anyone let me know how the road condition is from Kharagpur to Siliguri avoiding NH 34.
Route - 1: Kharagpur -> Bankura-> Dumka -> Bhagalpur -> Kishanganj -> Siliguri
Route - 2: Kharagpur -> Purulia -> Dumka -> Bhagalpur -> Kishanganj -> Siliguri
1. White route is better for driving and safety.
2. Are they 4 lane express / toll road?
3. If, not how much distance is 2 lane?
4. Is night driving safe from crime perspective?
you can refer to my journey report in this link Kolkata - SIliguri via Deogarh - Bhagalpur - Purnea
i would suggest the following.
1. AVOID NH 34
. The road works are still in progress.
2. Since you will start from KGP, via Bishnupur and Bankura, do a night halt at Asansol.
3. Next day start early morning. Say around 6am so that by the time you reach bhagalpur it will be around 11am-12pm, some what less traffic. But do not expect empty roads.
4. If you are ok with driving little bit extra just for the pleasure of driving on good roads, then take dumka deoghar bhagalpur route as mentioned in my post (link above). The direct road between dumka and bhagalpur is not in good condition after Hansidha.
5. Night Driving is NOT RECOMMENDED.
6. I was not carrying my DVR during my trip and also driving alone. Hence only few pics. All these pics are at various points along the road between Asansol and Dumka. Road is single lane, but very less traffic and of superior quality.