Originally Posted by Supercharger
Thanks a lot hemantp
but this creates a lot of confusion in my head as which route to opt as there are many pros and cons of each route.
Sorry, I would say go with the option you mentioned first - Amboli ghat unless you want to explore other options. Just be aware that the route will be patched at many places and some potholes may still be there particularly in ghat.
Some rough itinerary just as reference:
1) Start from Pune at 4 or worst case 5 AM
2) Depending upon time you start - have breakfast after Khambatki Ghat. I would have personally preferred to reach Mac/CCD/KFC near Kolhapur (right side) just around 8 AM and have breakfast there.
3) Continue till short break at Ajra for tea / Vada Paav @ around 10AM.
4) Cross Sawantwadi by 12 PM. If hungry and like fish, have lunch at Bhalekar or any other preferred restaurant. Else proceed.
5) I remember there is another Bhalekar hotel branch on left side once you join Mumbai - Goa road. This is a better option IMO
. Unfortunately I don't remember if this hotel is before or after Pernem - most likely before.
Note that from Sawantwadi, you have option to take (old) NH17 and drive through Sawantwadi or take bypass to join Mumbai-Goa road. I have not taken the later.
All the best and enjoy!