Patiala To Thane: Route Assistance

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to Thane from Chandigarh. Before taking up a job here I bought a Zest QDJ in Chandigarh which is literally lying in the garage for the last 1.5 months, untouched. Current ODO meter reading is 500 KM. As I have more or less settled here and found an accommodation with a parking, I have decided to bring my own ride.

Having read a lot about dangers of getting Car damaged during transport through movers and packers (although Agarwal packers seems to have better reputation among competition) & after contemplating all the options, I have decided that i will drive it to new home myself. I never did such a long trip before but as they say, there is always the first time. [clap]

I would like to solicit your help in chalking out the most preferable and convenient route along with answers to few queries. I will be making this solo trip somewhere towards end of November and hope fog will not be a deterrent factor. Some basic homework has been done at my end following which I have decided to break the voyage in 3 pit stops.

Day 1:- Patiala to Ajmer

First night will be spent in Ajmer for which Google maps suggest 3 routes. They are:

• Patiala-Samana-Tohana-Hisar-Jhunjhunu-Sikar-Ajmer (via RJ SH 8 & NH 65) [537 KM]
  • Patiala-Samana-Tohana-Hisar-Churu-Sikar-Ajmer (via NH 65) [551 KM]
  • Patiala-Panipat-Rohtak-Rewari-Jaipur-Ajmer (via NH 1, NH 71 / 71A & NH 8) [653 KM]
I'll be starting around 4 AM and plan is to reach Ajmer in evening so that some quality time can be spent for sight-seeing. Paying obeisance at Ajmer Sharif Dargah is definitely on the priority list. I would really appreciate if some guidance can be provided for my the following points:

• Which will be best route among the above mentioned 3 options? I would prefer driving on an even taramac while avoiding as much truck/heavy vehicle traffic as possible and bypassing cities enroute. Idea is to steer clear of traffic bottlenecks.
  • How much time would it take to reach Ajmer Sharif Dargah from the outskirts of Ajmer and the general traffic conditions during evening time?
  • Can I get a decent yet cheap accommodation to spend night near Ajmer Sharif Dargah where a car can be easily drove to and parked? If yes, please help me with names of any properties that you recommend.

Day 2:- Ajmer to Vadodara

I am aiming to leave early after having breakfast and drive upto Vadodara where I'll be spending a night at friend's place. Many travelougues describe this a scenic drive (not sure which course), so intent is to cover the same during daytime. Would surely like to carry some memories from my first solo road trip. Here again Google maps shows 2 alternatives, namely:

• Ajmer-Beawar-Pali-Sirohi-Palanpur-Mehsana-Ahmedabad-Vadodara (via NH 14) [657 KM]
  • Ajmer-Nasirabad-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Godhra-Vadodara (via NH 79 & GJ SH 5) [646 KM]
I need to know which will better among these so that I encounter low truck plying throughout the distance. Need a stress free drive so that upon reaching Vadodara I can be fresh to hit the dance floor of my welcome party!!! (Maybe I am expecting too much)... [lol]

Day 3:- Vadodara to Thane

This will the shortest stint in terms of disctance and will offer option to take a proper rest before reporting to the office next day. Route will be the obvious one i.e. Vadodara-Ankleshwar-Navsari-Vapi-Thane (via NH 8) [402 KM]. Do not foresee any challenges here, although I am aware of some heavy traffic conditions around Bharuch. Hope that will not be much time consuming. Is the commercial vehicle presence same on weekends as well? In case there is some respite, it will surely be a blessing in disguise.

In addition, I also seek some more clarifications from the seasoned / experienced members-

• As the car hasn't completed its run-in period, what is the advisable RPM / Speed to be maintained (1.3 L Diesel engine) on highway? I have read at many places that is a very important phase which will determine long term health of engine.
  • Are there any preventive checkups which the car has to be subjected to before I start with the trip?
  • What are the essential things I need to carry along?

Regards,
Abheyjit

Thread Starter #2
Requesting members to post their replies. My plan has been preponed, I need to make this journey next week.

Hi Abhey,

I have been to CHD while going to Manali by car, So my suggestion would be CHD - Gurgaon then stick to NH8 till Mumbai.

About Ajmer Sharif Dargah, well no parking, park your car at ur hotel, take auto from hotel(ask ur hotel manager). My case I stayed at The Royal Melange Beacon, Ajmer. Good thing they provide VIP dharshan for free (only need to pay 300/- for auto ride). One person will accompany you till you come out of dargah and guide you at every step.

Also thumb rule for long travel stick to national highways like NH8 as much as possible dont deviate even if you have go extra 200km compare to short route. I have bee to a situation like I police car was came us to drop till next safe place( I m talking about MP, Sendwa to Khetiya in night time). That was my scariest decision and I was lucky that nothing bad happened as I was with family.

Udaipur is really nice place compare to Ajmer. I have been stayed at vadodara, mount abu, ajmer, jaipur, udaipur etc so I can guide you whenever you need just send me pm. I do login almost everyday here.

About going for long distance trips this link will help.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s/14219-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-56.html

I have honda city which has low GC(165mm) doing all these trip I never found any issue of scrapping or anything.

In the current year I have done 2 trips Mumbai-Jaipur and Mumbai-Udaipur.

My suggestions, for Ajmer to Vadodara take Ajmer-Nasirabad-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Godhra-Vadodara (via NH 79 & GJ SH 5) [646 KM]. This is a divided 4 lane highway till Udaipur, good road with moderate truck traffic, Udaipur to Shamlaji undivided highway with few bad patches, Shamlaji to Vadodara via Godhra excellent 4 lane divided road with very less traffic.

For Vadodara to Mumbai follow NH8, during my trips I never faced any traffic jam at Bharuch, it seems situation is lot better now.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you Kukku_K & kuwaronline for posting first replies. This clarifies a lot of doubts.

I have a query w.r.t the route to be adopted from Patiala to Ajmer. As I would start from Patiala around 4 AM, it means I would need to pass through morning traffic in Delhi & Gurgaon before I join the NH 8 towards Jaipur. IMO that would too cumbersome. Let me know if I can consider Patiala-Panipat-Rohtak-Rewari-Jaipur-Ajmer (via NH 1, NH 71 / 71A & NH 8) route for this stretch. It will allow me to bypass Delhi & Gurgaon morning traffic woes. On the other hand, someone told me that Patiala-Samana-Tohana-Hisar-Churu-Sikar-Ajmer (via NH 65) [551 KM] road is quite good with less traffic. It'll be great in case someone can shed light on the same.

Also share some wisdom on below concerns. They make me feel nervous. [confused]

• As the car hasn't completed its run-in period, what is the advisable RPM / Speed to be maintained (1.3 L Diesel engine) on highway? I have read at many places that is a very important phase which will determine long term health of engine.
  • Are there any preventive checkups which the car has to be subjected to before I start with the trip?
  • What are the essential things I need to carry along?
Regards,
Abheyjit

About run-in period, I think you should stick to normal rpm and near 80-90kmph on highway. Every car has different run-in time so I cant say about your car. Also normal rpm is again based on car to car. My case(honda city) is 2k-3k rpm.

Regarding other two points I believe following suggestions by @Dr.Mudhan will surely help you!

PART: LXII

SIMPLE TIPS FOR A BETTER ROAD TRIP​

Sometimes, we decide to go for a long trip, want to enjoy every moment with our car, but should never miss to prepare for the same.

We always do a mistake, we give the car for service just before the day which I feel should have been done at least two weeks before to ensure that we are comfortable and to avoid getting into a new problem after a service, especially with older vehicles. Yes, sometimes it happens… loosening of hoses after a heavy pressure water stream wash!

Maintenance packages with an oil change, tire rotation and mechanical inspection should never be done in the last moment. This way, there will be ample time to fix everything and make the necessary adjustments.

Let us see some important points required while we get ready for the long drive trip. We may be able to verify some of them on our own, for the most part, we may have to rely on a competent mechanic. So better to keep the check list.

FOR THE CAR:

• Under the hood: - Engine oil / filter - Transmission fluid- Engine coolant
- Battery & terminals - Air filter – Fuel line
• Lights and Mirrors
• Windshield Wipers
• Tires
• Steering, Suspension and Drivetrain Belt components
• Air conditioning
• Spare tire (Check the spare tire pressure), wheel wrench and the jack, Tire sealer-inflator can, manual air pump.
• Basic emergency kit, include spare bulbs, fuses, electrical tape.
• Glass cleaners like Colin to ensure clear windshield.
• Consider a GPS Navigation System / Map & guidebook
• Have enough fuel from your regular petrol bunk. Get idea about good petrol bunks on the way if need to be top upped.
• Owner's manual / Authorised service station details.

You may also read more from this illustrated article - How to prepare for a Road trip @ https://snapguide.com/guides/prepare-for-a-roadtrip-ultimate-car-checklist/ (Don't miss to read the comments also)

FOR YOU:

1. Keep First Aid Medicines for fever, body pain, cold, diarrhea, nausea and allergy. The driver should avoid sleep inducing drugs. Always keep your regular medicines , the best antiseptic ointment Betadine and some anti-inflammatory ointment like Volini.
2. Avoid tight dress especially tight under garments / Avoid over loading & crowding of persons.
3. Keep some good cups and tumblers which you can use to get coffee / tea to avoid unhygienic cups and health hazardous disposable plastic cups from tea shops.
4. Always keep a good fully charged torch light.
5. Enough tissues / Pillows
6. Mobile phone /charger
7. Music, games (not for drivers!) & energy bars & snacks
8. Secure the seat belt / child's seat properly / Pet Care if needed.
9. A refreshing car perfume
10. Stop the car intermittently at unpolluted environment under a shade, breath fresh air and do some quick 5 minutes exercises like safe twisting & stretching.

REMEMBER, Three important things that make for a successful road trip are Comfort, Safety and Fuel economy & the CAR should be overall an agreeable traveling partner.

Road trips are Fun & Adventurous , Enjoy the journey ! [:D]

Thread Starter #7
About run-in period, I think you should stick to normal rpm and near 80-90kmph on highway. Every car has different run-in time so I cant say about your car. Also normal rpm is again based on car to car. My case(honda city) is 2k-3k rpm.

Regarding other two points I believe following suggestions by @Dr.Mudhan will surely help you!
This surely is informative and caters to many of my queries. I hope you can also help me with my concerns relating route from Patiala to Ajmer.

Regards,
Abheyjit

Thread Starter #8
Additionally I would like to know if you can recommend any hotel nearby Ajmer Sharif Dargah that is easily approachable in car, has parking & not to heavy on the pocket. As I'll be traveling alone, a nice clean place to spend night.

Regards,
Abheyjit

This surely is informative and caters to many of my queries. I hope you can also help me with my concerns relating route from Patiala to Ajmer.

Regards,
Abheyjit
About this route, I am not sure thats why I didnt replied in earlier post. Never been to this route so I am not sure about it. I m sure about CHD-DL-GGN then NH8 simply because I have been on this route and roads are good.

Additionally I would like to know if you can recommend any hotel nearby Ajmer Sharif Dargah that is easily approachable in car, has parking & not to heavy on the pocket. As I'll be traveling alone, a nice clean place to spend night.

Regards,
Abheyjit
The Royal Melange Beacon, its the good place to stay there, has really nice interior and excellent staff, has reserved under ground parking +road side parking too. This is no 1 hotel as per tripadvisor. Ajmer sherif is like 2-3km from this place and as I said earlier this hotel will arrange you VIP dharshan to dargah which is free of cost only money you need to pay is for auto ride. Also this auto guy will take you almost on dargah door step others are not allowed till 500 meter near dargah. Lane toward dargah are extremely narrow like hardly single auto can pass by. You cannot take your car as you will have to walk like 2km from where you park your car so my suggestion is leave your car in hotel and enjoy stress free tour to Dargah.

Top Bottom