Chennai To Wayanad via Sathyamangalam

Thread Starter #1
Hi

I am planning for a 8 day trip to Wayanad and need your valuable inputs to conclude the route to take to reach Wayanad.

I would like to start at 3:30 AM from Chennai (Tambaram) and go via Salem, Bhavani, Sathyamangalam, Hasanur and reach Chamrajnagar around noon for lunch. Will take a 30 minute break at Salem for BF.

How much time on an average (assuming no stops) would it take from Bannari Amman temple to till Nijaguna Residency at Chamrajanagar ? Road conditions ?

Have booked a resort at Kalpetta. From Chamrajanagar, to Kalpetta via Gundlupet how much time it takes to travel ? Road conditions ?

Any suggestions or pointers to note ?

Hi Arun,

When are you planning to be in Waynad? We will be there this weekend
The route we are taking is NICE road, Kanakapura road to Chamrajnagar, Gundlupet... We will be staying at Kalpetta.

Coming to your route, Satyamangalam ghat has 27 hairpin bends and some heavy (long wheelbase) vehicle traffic. So drive carefully on those bends as the heavy vehicles simply cannot keep to their side to make the turn. They will take the entire road for turning. Otherwise the route is fine till Chamrajnagar.

Thread Starter #3
Hi Peter

I am travelling next weekend - Nov 7 through 14. When are you returning back ? Will catch up with you before I start so that I can plan my itinerary, especially bird watching spots.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Dhimbam ghat road. I have been to Hasanur few times (not self drive) and aware of the heavy load vehicle traffic. Will drive carefully.

We are just going there for a few days of relaxation. Let us just see what we can see.

I guess the main birding spot should be Pakshipathalam. Unfortunately we will not be going there as we are not fit enough for that long trek. I am training for it and will do it very soon with some of my friends from office.

Kuruva Island is another option. But my wife is against going there as that place is always crowded. We might do do Edakkal caves, and Phookot lake depending upon the weather.

The way from satyamangalam is also a great place for birding... Near Dhimbam. Just keep a look out as you drive. and also the other side of bandipur forest, Matunga, which you will pass. There is a restaurant called Jubilee on the left in Sultanpet. You can have lunch there... if you like non-veg. For breakfast, there is a Sree Saravana Bhavan, around 20 kms from Salem on Salem-Coimbatore highway. Pretty good food. Better that A2B.

Will surely update you if we find any good birding area. We will be back on Tuesday or Wednesday is we find it interesting.

BTW, how was your Ooty trip?

Thread Starter #5
Planning to visit places in Wayand for 3 days and then stay in resort for 3 more days. Will try Jubilee for sure.

I am also thinking to visit Pakshipathalam Bird Sanctuary. But not sure I could make the 14 KM up and down 6+ hours trekking especially with the Tamron gear. Have to see if I could go with just a 10-18 wide angle lens - even this will be a challenge for me. Kuruva island - same reason. I am also worried about the crowd that might spoil the experience. Instead prefer a ride up to Tholpetty, Thirunelli and return.

Also have to skip Edakkal caves as I can't fit in my itinerary. But have heard people saying we could watch many birds from parking spot to the cave. You could try.

Ooty trip was fantastic. Stayed at Red Hills Nature resort for 3 nights. Early mornings are amazing. Picture perfect views of lakes and reservoirs. Visited Porthimund Lake for Sunset view (spotted a leopard), did a Safari trip to Upper Bhavani reservoir and also did a 2 KM Red Hill trekking trip with family. Saw an underground tunnel construction in progress at Porthimund. Can't forget the drive from Emerald to Geddai (70+ haipin bends).

Great! You could see a Leopard! Why don't you start a TL on your Ooty trip, so we also get to see the Leopard?

I have reached Waynad yesterday. Had a great drive with some great sightings (bird) driving through the forest. But grounded today due to heavy non-stop rain...
Will update you later.

Thread Starter #7
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take a snap. Its around 6:30 pm and it appeared all of a sudden unexpected in an u turn when coming down from Porthimund. I just had a glance for may be 30 second.

Will try to share a photologue (I am not good at writing a travelogue). All snaps are in RAW and need time to process. Meanwhile getting ready for 8 day trip to Wayanad starting this Saturday !!

Waiting for your additions to Reminiscence thread from your recent trips.

Thread Starter #8
Update on the trip.

Took 12 hours, 650 KM, from Tambaram, Chennai to reach Planet Green Plantation Resort, Kalpetta.
12 hours include 2 hours break in between for Break fast and Lunch.
Route took via Salem, Bhavani, Chithode, Bannari, Hasanur, Chamrajnagar, Gundlupet, Sultan Bathery. I diverted to Chithode as I wanted to make a stop at Diary farm.
It was raining heavily and took 30 minutes more than usual to reach Ulundurpet-Salem cut from Tambaram.
Route was fantastic all along except few stretches between Chamrajnagar and Gundlupet.

Top Bottom