Bangalore To Ooty Road Conditions

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Planning to drive to ooty this weekend and wanted to avoid touching mysore due to dhasara, so planning to take the following route

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Gundulpet - Ooty

Any info on the road conditions will really help!!

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Anand

Thread Starter #2
Just completed the trip,

The road condition between

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Good, few potholes
Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Good SH roads, few potholes, Very scenic Village roads
Gundulpet -Bandipur- Ooty - Smooth Roads

I started @ 4 AM from ORR and reached ooty at 10:30 with 1 hr break.

Thanks

Just completed the trip,

The road condition between

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Good, few potholes
Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Good SH roads, few potholes, Very scenic Village roads
Gundulpet -Bandipur- Ooty - Smooth Roads

I started @ 4 AM from ORR and reached ooty at 10:30 with 1 hr break.

Thanks
How is the road between Chamarajanagar and Gundulpet now? The last we traveled on that road, it had a lot of patches.

Thread Starter #4
chamarajanagar to gundulpet the road is good (its 2 lane), and most of the places the roads are smooth... Looks like they have relaid the road recently.

I felt the mini-bus that ply in that road are driven very rashly. So need to drive carefully.

Thank you.

I always take this route when I travel towards Bandipur. Though the whole stretch from Bangalore to Bandipur is sort of 2 lane, it is very scenic.

I will be traveling through these roads this weekend. Glad to know that they have relaid that stretch.

I have found the Bangalore Mandya Mysore Gundlupet Bandipur finally reaching Ooty via Masinagudi/Kalahatty the best(fastest) route from Bangalore to Ooty as Bangalore to Mysore is four laned and the Mysore to Gundlupet is being widened currently.

The masinagudi route is shorter if you want to avoid the other route through Gudalur which is scenic but way too long.

Traveled to Ooty (and Kothagiri) from Bangalore last weekend. Here are the updates on the route / road conditions. There was a colleague's marriage at Kothagiri.

Onward Journey:
Bangalore - Ramnagara - Mandya - Mysore ORR - Nanjungad - Gundlupet - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Pykara - Ooty.

140am: Bangalore (Chamarajpet)
~4am : Mysore ORR (1 bio break)
515am: Mel Kamanahalli (Checkpost) (1 tea break @ Gundlupet, had to wait till 6am)
610am: Mel Kamanahalli (Checkpost)
745am: Pykara Junction (Had to wait for a joining vehicle coming through Gudalur).

36 hairpin bends. A bit steep on some occassions. Have to be in 1st/2nd gears in most. Valparai can be done in 2nd/3rd gears, in comparison.

Saw just 2 elephants with tuskers and many groups of deers (saw 2 fighting as well).

Road conditions:
Bangalore - Mysore ORR: 4 lane, divided. Overall good roads. Lots of them patched up. Nothing major to worry, but you can't be too confident as well when you drive in the night. Day drives will be dreaded with traffic.
Mysore ORR - Nanjungad: 2 lane, without divider. 3-4 diversions. Rest is excellent.
Nanjungad - Bandipur Checkpost: 2 lane, without divider. Excellent roads.
Bandipur Forest Roads: 2 lane, without divider. Very scenic, beautiful roads through the forest. No horn please. Some of the ST bus drivers have to be taught these basic lessons. Horrible overtaking in the forest roads (initial hours when they open up the gates).
Bandipur - Ooty: Good curvy roads all the way.

Return Journey:
Kothagiri - Mettupalayam - Puliyampatti - Bhavanisagar Dam - Bannari - Dhimbam Ghat - Hasanur - Chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore.

Didn't want to go through the Ooty city & take the risk of getting struck in jams. It was a long weekend for many.

130pm: Kothagiri
430pm : Bannari (1 bio break)
5pm: Bannari (tea+bio break, wait for another vehicle)
615pm: Chamarajnagar (Had to drop a colleague here + snacks break). Checked GMaps and saw lots of traffic snarls on Mysore Road. Hence took the Kollegal / KR Road.
9pm: Kanakpura (Lots of 2-wheeler traffic between Chamarajnagar - Malavalli, all towns were very crowded ahead of the festival). I just couldn't see anything to be confident to overtake. Painful-to-eye-drive.
1015pm: Bangalore (Chamarajpet).

Just saw 2 elephants at a long distance from the road in a cleared-forest-area. We couldn't spot any animals. And I wasn't doing 20-30kmph.

Road conditions:
Kothagiri - Mettupalayam: Good curvy & mountain roads.
Mettupalayam - Bannari: 2 lane, without divider. Excellent roads in most places. Occassional potholes / bad sections, but I am just nitpicking here.
Bannari - Hasanur: Dhimbam ghat is good roads with 27 hairpin bends. Spectacular view from quite a few of the hairpins. Sees very heavy traffic. Many long lorries need space / time to climb up / down. So leave space. Forest roads are good. Curvy as well. The objective is to join NH 948 @ Bannari. You can also come via Sathyamangalam. The routing (in GMaps) for Bhavanisagar Dam was amazing very accurate. Of course, I had to the other map (asking locals!) a lot of times to double check the route.
Hasanur - Chamarajnagar: 2 lane, without divider. Excellent roads.
Chamarajnagar - Kanakpura: 2 lane, without divider. Excellent roads. Saw huge number of 2-wheelers. May be carrying thins back to their villages for the festival.
Kanakpura - Bangalore: 2 lane, without divider. But lot of shoulder space available. Many sections have broken tarmac, washed off top layer. Many test suspension quite frequently. Namma Metro construction is another headache. Usual traffic.

Climate during 3-4 Sept week. Quite cold in the evenings. It can be sunny in the morning between 11am-4pm. Temp can reach upto 26/28 celsius. No rains. Lots of dew in the night / early morning. Be careful when you are out in BBQ/Camp Fire/Bonfires.

Stayed in an outhouse in Manjacombai, nearby Terramia Tea Factory. Of course not available in Google Maps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom