Gurgaon To Katra (Jammu): Route Query

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I need some help regarding a route query to Katra, Jammu from Gurgaon as we have planned to pay a visit to Vaishnodevi and get her holly blessings. We will be leaving on 23rd of this month and reach there by night. I'll be taking my XUV for this trip as we will be 6-7 people and some luggage as well.
So can anyone help me with which route should I take and how are the road conditions?
Are there patches where I should expect traffic jams?
What are good points to stop for breaks, let's say lunch?
I'll be leaving around 4:00 am from Gurgaon and pick some relatives from Dwarka and continue from there.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Damm not a single post? Come on you road trip lovers need your advice and suggestions. I will be leaving this Friday. So far I have got this route info from Google Baba (Google maps)
Gurgaon - Sonipat - Panipat - Kurukshetra - Ambala - Ludhiana - Jalandhar - Pathankot - Jammu - Katra.

Is this a perfect approach and route to go ahead with?

What a coincidence Singh Saab. I am leaving for Jwala ji (Kangra) by tomorrow morning itself.

The route you have mentioned is perfect and I have been to Vaishno Devi twice this year through the same route. In fact this is the best route to Katra IMO.

Leave early morning and complete the drive by the day time itself. You will reach katra around 4-5 pm or maybe 6 (if you drive well at three digit speeds), take a hotel and go to sleep while one or two of you can get the yatra slip (I guess they call it yatra parchi). What after that? Well, sleep till midnight and start the way to shrine by 2-3 am. That one will be best IMO. Rest I am sure that you already have a better plan (mine is the one we follow with gang of guys).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
What a coincidence Singh Saab. I am leaving for Jwala ji (Kangra) by tomorrow morning itself.

The route you have mentioned is perfect and I have been to Vaishno Devi twice this year through the same route. In fact this is the best route to Katra IMO.

Leave early morning and complete the drive by the day time itself. You will reach katra around 4-5 pm or maybe 6 (if you drive well at three digit speeds), take a hotel and go to sleep while one or two of you can get the yatra slip (I guess they call it yatra parchi). What after that? Well, sleep till midnight and start the way to shrine by 2-3 am. That one will be best IMO. Rest I am sure that you already have a better plan (mine is the one we follow with gang of guys).
Thanks for your reply. Since we will be leaving by 5:00 AM from Dwarka I guess I'll be at Katra by 6-7 PM max.
We have no fixed plans as of now that when we will start the climb. But i'll try to start it around 2-3 AM because I want to do the climb during night.
Any good stops that you suggest for lunch stop?
And good luck with your trip.[thumbsup]

Re:

nh1 will be good choice as in Punjab most of road work is recently done and you will go from bypass of my city (rajpura) call me if you need any thing on the way as my city is the first city of Punjab [:)] in your route and it will take approx 13 hours as per gps

if you can start your trip early by 2 hours it will give you benefits in Punjab because hear in Punjab farmers are protesting at roads so early you start and early you pass from Punjab

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. Since we will be leaving by 5:00 AM from Dwarka I guess I'll be at Katra by 6-7 PM max.
We have no fixed plans as of now that when we will start the climb. But i'll try to start it around 2-3 AM because I want to do the climb during night.
Any good stops that you suggest for lunch stop?
And good luck with your trip.[thumbsup]
Sirji I know only one stop en route and that's the Sukhdev Dhaba at Murthal. You will be there around 6:30-7 am or maybe even before I guess.

We follow the Saharanpur-Ambala route if we go from Meerut and follow the route you have mentioned if we go from New Delhi. On that route it's always the same plan. Take a heavy breakfast and load the vehicle with a lot of snacks at Murthal itself and then press the gas with a heavy foot all the way to Jammu or Katra and have a light lunch at any decent looking restaurant.

BTW if you have someone who has the vomiting etc issues then better get them seated on co-driver seat or middle row. Once past Jammu, the sickness may arise. The road is good and traffic speed is high, doing 70-80 kph is normal for vehicles like XUV (I do that even in Innova) and at those speeds, the sickness do occur more frequently.

Sirji I know only one stop en route and that's the Sukhdev Dhaba at Murthal.
I prefer the Mayur dhaba at karnal more than Sukhdev for its chicken Paratha! And Haveli near Jalandhar is also too good!

Coming to the route after Jalandhar , do not miss the right turn towards Pathankot or else one will end up reaching Amritsar! That right turn is a tricky one!

Top Bottom