R-I-P Leh / Ladakh Trips Travelogues

R-I-P Leh/Ladakh Trips Travelogues

I read the highly disturbing news a few days ago. These stupid taxi drivers are ruining their own businesses. Nobody would like to go to a disturbed place, so the tourism is definitely going to be affected. Leh is an enthusiast's mecca and people should be free to commute the way they want.

Thread Starter #3
Re: R-I-P Leh/Ladakh Trips Travelogues

If any Member has any source in media please try and highlight the matter. Currently no news channel/news paper has published any such news.

This happens in all the parts of the country for example if you go the Gangtok you are not allowed to take your own vehicle to Nathula Pass ( I owned a WB { West Bengal } passing vehicle for the journey and the reason I was told was other state vehicles are not allowed ). In Goa if they see other state vehicles such as MH passing or KA passing 1st problem on state entrance you need to pay an entry tax, 2nd problem while coming back they check the vehicles like you are carrying some unwated stuff which is a threat to nation ( where as they are searching for liquor so that they can churn some money) coming to locals they force you to rent vehicles from taxi unions which charge like anything and really think they are doing a favor by dropping you. Same was faced in Kerala we are in a other state vehicle and a rash driven bus came and bashed us from behind, to start the converation the bus driver came with the iron rod ( now what do you expect the outcome). These issues are there in every part of the country really dont think there can be solution for the same

Thread Starter #5
Hi Konkantrip,

The problem is not limited to the few Passes in the country, in the report in team-BHP, the local taxi mafia chased/traced them in Manali also. Now this is something which is far more serious than a particular case of road-rage. They are doing it collectively and targeting and damaging the vehicles without any provocation. Its not that simple "a thulla stopping and collecting his kharcha panni from you". Still request Members to highlight the matter at their level to the Government/Media so that all these non-sense happening to the Driving Enthusiasts can be stopped immediately.

If any Member has any source in media please try and highlight the matter. Currently no news channel/news paper has published any such news.
Everyone should post on their FB page also spread the news on whatsapp.

This will only reduce their business in future.

This happens in all the parts of the country for example if you go the Gangtok you are not allowed to take your own vehicle to Nathula Pass ( I owned a WB { West Bengal } passing vehicle for the journey and the reason I was told was other state vehicles are not allowed ). In Goa if they see other state vehicles such as MH passing or KA passing 1st problem on state entrance you need to pay an entry tax, 2nd problem while coming back they check the vehicles like you are carrying some unwated stuff which is a threat to nation ( where as they are searching for liquor so that they can churn some money) coming to locals they force you to rent vehicles from taxi unions which charge like anything and really think they are doing a favor by dropping you. Same was faced in Kerala we are in a other state vehicle and a rash driven bus came and bashed us from behind, to start the converation the bus driver came with the iron rod ( now what do you expect the outcome). These issues are there in every part of the country really dont think there can be solution for the same
Yes you are not allowed to drive your own vehicle in North Sikkim and the Silk route part of East Sikkim including Nathu La. But this is a Govt legislation to promote tourism. However they do make exceptions and permits are available in SDO Office.

The Ladakh incident and earlier reports cant be at par with this. Let the Govt pass a legislation banning self drive in that area. They don't have the guts to do it as a huge chunk of the tourists there are self drive cars and they cant risk loosing this business. More so because these vehicles are usually coming in July /Aug which is not the season for the vacation tourists.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends, Its really unfortunate for the travelers to face such happenings. It is a threat to even the state's tourism. Ministry of Tourism and the appointed officials of state should be made to investigate this happening to the core. Today these hooligans have thrashed and damaged private cars and if tomorrow a biker goes there on a rented or private one then I fear what would be his fate because of this non-sense and utterly unacceptable happening?

This happening clearly shows act of cowardice by those local taxi wallahs. This definitely calls for striking-off the Leh Ladakh region for every purpose from the travelling list. Highly Shameful act!

Regards

Akash

Well What I feel that we the travellers should unite and shun all the trips (any mode) to Leh. Yes there are disturbances when locals feel they are deprived of the business. However, what was done to the convoy (put up in TeamBHP) is simply uncalled for.

Once they get the taste of slack season, may be couple of years, they will benddown. After all there are other business as well apart from taxi business and these people will bend the taxi union guys.

But all will happen only if they see a very very marked downfall in visitors and it is an hypothetical situation.

Thread Starter #10
Hi Members,

We have Members in the print media (roadrunner), request all of them to highlight this matter at their level.

if not at least we the members can report this to any media channel and let them talk to the victim and cover the news let the nation know about this. we as indians and according to the constitution are free to go anywhere in india using any kind of transport permitted by the indian national government. so there should be no one to bother us. this should be in the news. i also read that it was sent to Home ministry. but no response till now. we can put in facebook twitter and watsapp which is a best medium to communicate. This act by the taxi people is totally Condemned. i shall inform all my friends not to do a leh ladakh trip at all.

@Konkantrip I'm a regular visitor to Goa and i drive my own car there which is Karnataka registered car i haven't come across any such problems in Goa the checking is only because in the near state border that is karwar and other near places a lot of people used to take petrol from goa which is 21/-INR cheaper compared to Karnataka, also liquor is cheaper in Goa and is smuggled out of goa regularly. you can see it every other day in the news. that's just common so the police have to do their work. but otherwise no one in Goa be it be taxis nor local people have shown any kind of resistance to outside state vehicle this is in my case. and regarding paying the permit not the entry tax this tax is only collected from yellow board cabs not private vehicle owners and this is across India, not particular state. private cars are supposed to pay a fee of 250 as road maintenance fee for the goa government which is used for betterment of roads which one can see as soon as he enters Goa the karwar to goa road is a bit bad but once you enter Goa the roads are narrow i agree but neat and free from potholes. as well as neat marking which can be seen at night on the road.

however never ever have i come across such hooliganism by taxi people and if this is happened then we auto enthusiasts who are crazy about driving down to such adventurous destination should stop going there and let them get the taste of their hooliganism.

Last edited:
Totally agree wth Incarnation about Goa, I am a regular tourist to Goa from Maharashtra going once or twice every year from the past 3 years I also did my mba from Goa with a Rajasthan passing Motorcycle never faced any kind of hooliganism or protest from any of the local taxi drivers or police, once I was stopped and asked for papers even then I did not have to pay any fine or "fine" to the police as I didnt have my NOC for the bike unlike police in Maharashtra where they keep an eye on the vehicles only from outside Maharashtra, you can do a hit and run the MH police wont even bother if you have an MH car. but that is OK with me as they are still trying to do their jobs.

But the incident in Leh is totally a case of Gundagardi, I also saw a pic on FB yesterday where the taxi union has passed a resolution that they will "allow" outside state vehicles only on highways from Srinagar to Leh and Leh Manali, for inside tourists have to take services from local outlets be it a motorcycle or a taxi.

And the worst part is media and police are doing nothing about it.

this is high time now, hooliganism or govt legislation this is not acceptable.

Totally unacceptable and we should raise our voice against it. I believe it is not published on any of the public media, we should intensify the sharing of this news and should aboid visiting leh/laddakh region for some time until the issue resolved. Petition has been created on Change.org. please sign it for a good cause.

Top Bottom