Bangalore To Munnar Route Advice & Attractions

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,
I planning for Road Trip to Kerala my Native (Kotayam) through Munnar & Thekkady from Bangalore on end of August (Mostly by 28th Aug 2015). I will be traveling with my wife on our 2013 Hyundai i20 (Petrol). I am looking for scenic routes & mostly traveling by night time so that early morning i can reach Munnar curvy roads. I don't want drive curvy roads in night[drive]. I will halt some where before munnar at night. As i am from Kerala i know how bad people drive in Kerala.
I need feedback on following
1. Which route i have to take ?
2. What attractions & places i can visit in Munnar & Thekkady ?
3. How can i find Best Home stays & Resorts in Munnar & Thekkady ?
4. Is it Ok i can drive i20 with 2 people on board with some luggage ?
5. What are the things to take care before a long trip like this for safety & pleasant trip ?
6. In Bangalore where i can fix GPS Navigation & Dash Cam for my Car ?
7. On the way where i can find good place for Food & Rest Rooms ?
Hope i will get good feedback from all friends. Any feedback and suggestion welcome.

Welcome to TAI.

I take the Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Avinashi -> Palladam -> Udumalpet -> Chinnar -> Munnar. The reason - I get to keep to the national highway to a max. And the Avinashi -Palladam - Udumalpet route is also good.

Another variation for this route will be Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Kangayam -> Dharapuram -> Udumalpet -> Chinnar -> Munnar.

As for tourist attractions in and around Munnar the map below should be helpful.
Munnar Map.jpg

As for the best stay options, you can try google.

I am sure an I20 can do the trip easily assuming your car is in normal working condition. I usually take the usual medicines and adequate drinking water. Some warm cloths and an umbrella or waterproof jackets are recommended - as it rains on and off.

There are a lot of good restaurants on the way and all of them have decent restrooms. We usually stop at Shree Saravana Bahavan which is on the left some 20 kms past Salem.

I would not travel by night. if you start by 5 am you should be able to reach Munnar by 4 pm - 5pm max.

Enjoy your trip and hope to see a travelogue soon from you.

Hi Highwayranger

Is this route still good now? I am planning a Munnar visit in mid-Feb. Is it good time to visit Munnar?

Hi Highwayranger

Is this route still good now? I am planning a Munnar visit in mid-Feb. Is it good time to visit Munnar?
It has bee quite some time, since I traveled in this route. Till Pollachi the road will be in good condition. Chinnar to Munnar might have pot holes.

Top Bottom