Delhi To Amritsar Road Trip with Family

Thread Starter #1
Hey TAIgers, we are planning to drive down to Amritsar in our X3 with my , mom, dad, me and my grandparents. Now can we complete the journey in one day? With our grandparents? Overnight stop is required? Roads are good?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Delhi to Amritsar with family

Hey TAIgers, we are planning to drive down to Amritsar in our X3 with my , mom, dad, me and my grandparents. Now can we complete the journey in one day? With our grandparents? Overnight stop is required? Roads are good?
Its a total distance of around 460 km from Delhi Via NH1. The roads are good but at some places diversions are there. The average speed you need to maintain is 90 km/h and in no ways go beyond 90 as the cameras are installed and getting caught for over speeding is not difficult. Since you are traveling with aged people Joshua, so would advise you to take a break after every 2 or max 2.5 hours. Total time of travel could be around 8 hours. Overnight stop is not needed. Do carry snacks in good quantity and keep liquids in liberal quantity too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Also if your don't mind, may I ask that how much time do you think it should take if we take 3 breaks of 1 hour each to reach Amritsar? Thanks man.

Start by 4-5 am and you will be at Amritsar by hardly around 9-9:30. The roads are great and the only pain is in Delhi and some parts of Punjab.
Reach Amritsar by 9-10 am, go to golden temple etxbetc everywhere and then you can reach JCP Wagha Border by around 2:30 to 3 pm and enjoy the 'salaami'. What after that? Find a hotel (country inn should be favourable there and its loacated well too), stay there and leave back for Gurgaon by next day evening around 5-6 pm, till then just enjoy the place.

Best idea is:
Leave from Gurgaon by 5 am
Take a good breakfast at Sukhdev in Murthal and keep speeding until you are in Punjab.
I don't think you will need one hour breaks as the road is by no ways a back breaker or twisty, rest its your call.

Also if your don't mind, may I ask that how much time do you think it should take if we take 3 breaks of 1 hour each to reach Amritsar? Thanks man.
3 breaks of 1 hour each? I would suggest you take 5 / 6 breaks of 20 minutes each. Please remember inertia of rest is as big a reality as inertia of motion. An hour's break that too 3 times will put your limbs and mind to rest and to get back to top driving groove every time after those breaks it will take you a lot of driving time even outside those break hours.

But suit yourself and your style

Last edited:
Yes , it will take 9-10 hours. You should take 4 brakes at least. Road is under construction in few area ( khanna, phagwara). You can drive safely at 80-90 kmph, jalandhar- Amritsar road is narrow at some places ( narrow small bridges) so drive carefully.
wishing you happy and safe journey[:D]
note: park your car in car parking only. Don't park in streets near Golden Temple , otherwise your car will be towed away without any warning or notice. Local vehicles have special permission stickers on windshield.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Start by 4-5 am and you will be at Amritsar by hardly around 9-9:30. The roads are great and the only pain is in Delhi and some parts of Punjab.
Reach Amritsar by 9-10 am, go to golden temple etxbetc everywhere and then you can reach JCP Wagha Border by around 2:30 to 3 pm and enjoy the 'salaami'. What after that? Find a hotel (country inn should be favourable there and its loacated well too), stay there and leave back for Gurgaon by next day evening around 5-6 pm, till then just enjoy the place.

Best idea is:
Leave from Gurgaon by 5 am
Take a good breakfast at Sukhdev in Murthal and keep speeding until you are in Punjab.
I don't think you will need one hour breaks as the road is by no ways a back breaker or twisty, rest its your call.
Thanks a lot for your advice. Appreciate it.
Around 10 hours Joshua.

Regards

Akash
Gotcha, thanks.

3 breaks of 1 hour each? I would suggest you take 5 / 6 breaks of 20 minutes each. Please remember inertia of rest is as big a reality as inertia of motion. An hour's break that too 3 times will put your limbs and mind to rest and to get back to top driving groove every time after those breaks it will take you a lot of driving time even outside those break hours.

But suit yourself and your style
Pointed noted and taken! Thanks man.

Yes , it will take 9-10 hours. You should take 4 brakes at least. Road is under construction in few area ( khanna, phagwara). You can drive safely at 80-90 kmph, jalandhar- Amritsar road is narrow at some places ( narrow small bridges) so drive carefully.
wishing you happy and safe journey[:D]
note: park your car in car parking only. Don't park in streets near Golden Temple , otherwise your car will be towed away without any warning or notice. Local vehicles have special permission stickers on windshield.
Thanks for replying, will be sending a PM, do reply.

Top Bottom