Bangalore To Leh and Back: 1st June 2015

Thread Starter #1
I have planned a road trip from Bangalore to Leh and back from 29th May to 14th June.

In brief this is the plan

5/29/2015>> day 1 Bangalore >>Pune 844KMS 12Hrs
5/30/2015>> day 2 Pune >> Vadodara 600KM 9 Hrs
5/31/2015>> day 3 Vadodara>>Ahmedabad>>Jaipur 771KM 10Hrs
6/1/2015>> day 4 Jaipur>> hanumannagar >> amritsar 634km 10Hrs
6/2/2015>> day 5 amritsar(Wagah) >>Jammu-Katra (Vaishno Devi) 300KM 6Hrs
6/3/2015>> day 6 Vaishno Devi
6/4/2015>> day7 Jammu >>Kargil 400KMs 9 hrs
6/5/2015>> day 8 kargil>>Magnetic Hill>>Leh 200 KMs 7 Hrs
6/6/2015>> day 9 Leh
6/7/2015>> day 10 and 11 Leh>>Nubra>>Diskit>>Pangong Lake 300KM 2Days
6/9/2015>> day 12 Pangong>>sarchu/jispa 400 Kms 9-10 Hrs
6/10/2015>> day 13 Jispa/sarchu>>chandigarh 430 Kms 11 Hrs
6/11/2015 day14 shimla/chandigarh Jaipur 570KMs 10 Hrs
6/12/2015 day15 Jaipur>>Ratlam
6/13/2015 day16 Ratlam>>Pune 660KM 11Hrs
.6/14/2015 day 17 Pune>> Bangalore 12Hrs

Please advise if this will be sufficient to enjoy Leh.

Last edited:
first of all good luck for your planned trip. what vehicle are you taking to leh. how many travellers and how many drivers ?
if you are planning to go to amritsar you needn't go to jaipur from ahmedabad. you can go via udaipur, chittorgarh, bhilwara. kishangarh, makrana, hanumangarh, amritsar.
jammu - kargil in 9 hours not possible. i would suggest a slow pace with enjoying the scenery.
i would suggest extending the trip for a few days more as it would be too hectic a trip.

Thread Starter #3
first of all good luck for your planned trip. what vehicle are you taking to leh. how many travellers and how many drivers ?
if you are planning to go to amritsar you needn't go to jaipur from ahmedabad. you can go via udaipur, chittorgarh, bhilwara. kishangarh, makrana, hanumangarh, amritsar.
jammu - kargil in 9 hours not possible. i would suggest a slow pace with enjoying the scenery.
i would suggest extending the trip for a few days more as it would be too hectic a trip.
Thanks @smoothRider
We have choice between Duster and XUV. Travellers are- 2 of my friends (joining from Pune), My wife and me.
My wife will drop off the trip after Jammu.

For the other route if we avoid Jaipur where would you recommend to halt overnight? (If we do Pune to Ahemedabad and do not halt at Vadodara).

what is a realistic travel time from jammu to Kargil (not stpping at srinagar)? At Kargil we are meeting our friend who is posted there. so was rushing there to reach earlier. [:)]

if you haven't been to srinagar i would suggest you spend a day there. you would regret it later.
on the first day try to go beyond mumbai. pune - mumbai would be hardly 2 hours plus if you take the xpress way. the nxt day you can reach udaipur and halt there.on day 3 you can reach hanumangarh or beyond so that you can reach amritsar the next day late morning/ afternoon.see the sights there on the same day and next day try to reach near to srinagar.
i haven't done jammu- kargil so not sure of the exact time you would need.1 took 9 hours to do srinagar kargil. believe me you won't be able to ride at a fast pace from srinagar to kargil as at times there is narrow roads, truck traffic and bad roads.
the idea of the ride to ladakh for me was to enjoy the roads and the vistas rushing through spoils the whole purpose. you will need buffer days too in case there is delay due to land slides snow rain etc.

Even am planning to get Leh's this year so did a bit of research.
6/4/2015>> day7 Jammu >>Kargil 400KMs 9 hrs

Jammu to Kargil is doubtful. First of all it will depend on the time Zojila will open and close. Secondly Jammu to Srinager will take almost 8-9 hours, add another 3 hours for reaching Sonmarg. So if you start even at morning 5am from Jammu by the time you reach Zojila it will be 6pm. I highly doubt whether Zojila will be open around 6pm as its almost evening. Plus if you manage to cross Zojila, add another 3 hours to reach Kargil. So atleast it will be a 17 hours drive on the hills. It will be dam tiring.

6/7/2015>> day 10 and 11 Leh>>Nubra>>Diskit>>Pangong Lake 300KM 2Days
6/9/2015>> day 12 Pangong>>sarchu/jispa 400 Kms 9-10 Hrs
For this i guess for Nubra to Pangong you are targeting to do it via Warila. Again am not sure whether Warila will be open in June. Its a high pass and many a times it opens late.

So in that case you need to travel back to Leh then to Pangong. Again that's going to be a 12 hours drive and you reach Pangong in evening.

The very next day you plan to reach Jispa from Pangong and it will be another 14 hours+ drive so you have to start very early from Pangong. So going by this plan you are not getting time to enjoy the lake!

I would say you need to increase the number of days or you have to push more on the plains to get more time on the hills or you have to do Leh- Nubra- Leh a day trip followed by Leh- Pangong- Leh another day trip or Leh to Pangong, stay at Pangong and next day do Pangong to Jispa. In June water crossing will have heavy flow in the later part of the day. So start early and reach early is always preferable. The earlier you cross Baralacha on the way to Jispa the more better it will be. So i would say make a day trip to Pangong and next day you can do Leh- Jispa.

Last edited:
Travel Guru / Highway man - Please have a discussion with HVK sir who is part of community. He can give you better idea than any one else.

HVK sir, Please share your views.

Top Bottom