Chennai - Wayanad - Chennai : Route Suggestions Needed

Thread Starter #1
Dear all,

Planned for 3Days trip to Wayand, starting on Thursday_May30(post 10pm) and returning on Monday_May4.

Planned Itinerary: Start from Chennai post 10PM on 30May and reach Wayand before 2PM next day. In return, start from Wayand on May4(6AM) and reach Chennai before 10PM.

Both "to" an "fro" planned non stop. If needed, while travelling to Wayanad, will take a nap between 3AM -5AM.

My drive: Hyundai igen20(2 years old, last service done 2 months back). I'm the one who is going to drive all through the trip.

Pax: 10-12 people(Friends) / 3 cars

Route: I've traveled twice to Bangalore 2 years back. I don't know much about the route now. Consider myself as newbie in this route.

Google Maps displayed following routes, i) via bangalore, Mysore ii) via: Dharmapuri ii) Salem, Sathyamangalam. There won't be much difference in distance with these routes.

i) Suggest me an route which is safe and road conditions. Any Ghat roads?
ii) Suggest me an Quality Petrol bunk where i can refill. Both Enroute and in Wayanad(As of today, mostly i've fuelled my ride only on Shell bunks).
iii) If i want to take a nap in car, suggest me the safest places(eg: Near toll plaza, Fuel stations etc)
iv) Any other suggestions also welcome.

My driving experience:
I'm driving for past 5 years and 75% in city and remaining 25% highway driving(predominantly during day). My longest drive till date is Chennai to Salem which i used to go 4 to 5 months once. For the past 7 months, i haven't driven on Highways.

I normally drive at speed of 80km and never cross 100km.

Hi Sak,

The best route for you travel stress free is via Bangalore only.

Route : Chennai - Poonamalle - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangoodu - Gundlupet - Muthanga - Sulthan Bathery.

Chennai - Vellore - Roads are in OK condition still it is 4 lane road as part of GQ. Post Vellore, you can reach hosur within 2 to 3 hours comfortably through six lane road. Beautiful stretch.

Post entering in to Karnataka (Attibele toll gate), travel around 16 KM's to reach, you will reach Electronics ciy. Take left road to "NICE road" and collect toll ticket up to mysore road. Take exit in Mysore road. Road condition is really good.

From the NICE road exit to Mysore is again 4 lane road. But be careful with unmarked/hidden speed breakers. Becareful with local people movement also since highways will go through the centre of Towns. Since you are travelling in night/early morning, there wont be an issue.

In mysore you can take the ring road to reach Gundulupet road. Road condition is mixed. Once you are inside Kerala, roads turn to good and you can maintain the pace even if it 2 lane road. But careful with truck traffic.

If you need any more clarification, please PM your mobile number. Will call you.

add this to the routes mentioned by stromerider.

chennai- ulundurpet-salem-bhavani-gobi-sathyamanagalam-dhimban ghats-charmrajnagar-gundulpet-waynad

chennai-salem-avinashi-otty(via kotagiri or connor)- gudalur-sulthan bathery- waynad.

route 1 has excellent roads chennai to bhavani- bhavani to sathyamanagalam is a 2 lande SH. good roads. sathyamanagalm to chamrajnagar is so scenic lucky you can spot wild life. sathyamanagalam to gunduplet is okay. gundulpet to waynad is also okay condition again this passed through forest.

places to see on this route: bannari amman temple. bhavani sagar dam, thalamalai RF, sigur RF( requries forest dept permission) thalavadi RF.

Last edited:
Traveled to mysore last wk. Nanjangoodu - Gundlupet streach road construction is going on.Be carefulif u r travelling in the night.

Top Bottom