In Search For a Backpacking Location in April, 2015

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the wonderful, inspiring and informative travelogues. Was in a hibernating mode for the past 1 year, and didn't even do a single trip other than the weekend trips to my home town.

A recent road trip to Palakkad for an academic purpose stimulated my nerves and reminded me how badly I need a vacation.

Can you guys suggest a refreshing destination for me (any where in India, north-south-east-west). I know there are a lot of wonderful places in India, feeling it hard to make a choice. I don't want to select a retreat center, but would like to make this trip a retreat :)

I like hill stations like Munnar and Ooty. But had been there quite a lot of times with friends. Most probably, unlike my previous trips, I would like to do this alone.

Sorry guys, I missed to mention that I am from the God's own country - Kerala. But I would like to explore the other parts of the country. Like one of my prof says, to know about India you have to travel to north. The world is different from Kerala. If you guys can suggest some interesting locations in North then it would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Can you guys suggest a refreshing destination for me (any where in India, north-south-east-west). I know there are a lot of wonderful places in India, feeling it hard to make a choice.
I like hill stations like Munnar and Ooty. But had been there quite a lot of times with friends. Most probably, unlike my previous trips, I would like to do this alone.
As I am just back from Darjeeling, wished to suggest Sandakphu at 11000 feet. It lacks decent hotels but "Hotel Sherpa Chalet" is a good staying option. You will get wonderful views of the Himalayan range. You may even visit Singalila National Park.
But please remember that electricity has not reached Sandakphu, though for mobile charging and other essential services they use solar power. And never think of taking your own car there, unless you have a four wheel drive vehicle and are an extremely skilled driver. Go to Manebhanjan and take a hired Land Rover.

I think I had to find the location myself.
Hi buddy, having lived in Kerala and visited places around there you won't find many places in north known for greenery, wildlife as something totally different and enthralling, especially in summer. Many regular favorite places of tourists will have high temperatures. Still there are many other wonderful summer destinations in North. I would suggest you to visit Himachal Pradesh (Shimla, Dharmashala, kufri, Manali, Solang Valley), it will be a fresh and rejuvenating experience for you (Rohtang pass will be closed, there won't be any snowfall, but weather will be pleasant and worth visiting for a first timer there). As Rahul4640 suggested Darjeeling, Gangtok (WB, Sikkim) also makes a great destination plan. In short try to visit Himachal or East, North east band of India if you are planning it in April. IMO If you come up with specific details like duration, mode of transport, places shortlisted etc you will get more responses form fellow members.

Last edited:
for cool and relaxing places these are some of my choices where life is slow and beautiful. 1. Shimla, 2. Darjeling, 3. Dehradun 4. Panchghani. 5. Mahabaleshwar ( i haven't been here but heard a lot in the past 6. KACCH ( Gujrath) its awesome if you gel around with the locals. 7. SAPUTARA (Gujrath) its an awesome hill station to visit consider it. 8. Kausani UTTARAKHAND is a place i have heard a lot about dont know it. These would be my destinations if i were you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
It is Shimla-Manali this time. [cheers]

Planning(first time planning in advance. all other trips were planned a few hours before we start [;)]) the trip for the last week of April, subject to the availability of air tickets.
Right now we are planning to fly to Delhi and a road trip to Shimla through Chandigarh.
Here's the plan:

Day 1: Kochi to Delhi - Chandigarh to Chail and Kufri
Day 2: Christ Church, St. Michael's Cathedral, Shimla State Museum, Summer Hill, Annandale,Institute of Advanced Studies, Sankat Mochan Temple and Jakhu temple, Sunset Point.
Day 3:Drive to the Manali Via Kullu, Stop over for the view of magnificent kullu valley. Further roam around the river exploring the chill and mystery.Afternoon Depart for Manali.
Day 4:city tour and pay visit to Hadimba Devi Temple, Manu Temple, Tibetan Monastery and Vashisht Village.
Day 5:Rohtang Pass -Manali excursion and also pay visit to Kothi Gorge, Gulaba, Marhi and Sollang Valley.
Day 6:Back to Kochi via Delhi

Any must visit places which I excluded, Any place in my list which you feel as not worthy, Any suggestions in choosing travel agents, Any suggestions regarding homestay/hotels? Please let me know. Thanks for the support in choosing the location..

hey good to know that you have shortlisted on the first place of my choice. its like you living my dreams. HAPPY for you. i think you missed out on the locations in chandigarh. 1. SUKHNA LAKE 2. ROCK GARDENS these are two must visit place in chandigarh. 350Z has a Thread on ROCK GARDENS check it out.

Thread Starter #10
First of all time will be a concern...

Re that thread from 350Z, I think I am too bad in searching. Could not find it. Can you please share the url to that thread?

Tomorrow is the day!
Thank you all for the suggentions, once again.(Feeling a little nervous because of the recent earthquakes in the Himalayan belt. )
Happy journey Bala [cheers] !. Enjoy your time and click amples of photos to be shared with us later!. Be safe and cease or reroute your travel if at all requested by the govt. authorities on the earthquake front.

Top Bottom