Manali - Rohtang Pass Travel in February

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post in TAI since I joined last week.

I and my wife are planning to do a trip to Manali in the end of February or March, 2015. I am very much interested to go to Rohtang pass where it will be full of snow and that's the only reason why I chose Manali this time.

If anyone could tell me whether the Rohtang Pass is accessible by SUV hired from Manali? or should I choose some other destination to see snow? If so, suggestions please

Hi All,

I and my wife are planning to do a trip to Manali in the end of February or March, 2015. I am very much interested to go to Rohtang pass where it will be full of snow and that's the only reason why I chose Manali this time.

If anyone could tell me whether the Rohtang Pass is accessible by SUV hired from Manali? or should I choose some other destination to see snow? If so, suggestions please
Boss sorry but there is no way that pass will be open during your intended Months.You should be able to see snow at "snow point" which can be anywhere between 6-10 kms from Manali on Rohtang way.

Hi All,

If seeing snow is the purpose then you can drive towards Rohtang and as suggested you will find and your road will be blocked with snow well ahead of Rohtang.

But if you want to go all the way up to Rohtang then you need to wait till at least may..

Thread Starter #4
Thank you all for the prompt reply. So you mean to say post mid May is fine for travel right?? So in that case can I include Leh also in my trip??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the prompt reply. So you mean to say post mid May is fine for travel right?? So in that case can I include Leh also in my trip??
yes you can include Leh post May. If time is not a constraint, i would propose to add Srinagar in the schedule & complete the beautiful circuit full of landscapes.
However,if you wish to include Srinagar, suggest to do Srinagar-Leh-Manali respectively as ascent from Srinagar is gradual.This will enable to acclimatize better & hence preventing any major altitude sickness issues.

Hope this helps.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks missionmanali.
Is there any car rentals near Jammu which I can trust for doing the trip? Self driven or with driver? Or should I try to get any car rental agency from Delhi for this purpose?

Sorry to bother with too many questions.

Thanks missionmanali.
Is there any car rentals near Jammu which I can trust for doing the trip? Self driven or with driver? Or should I try to get any car rental agency from Delhi for this purpose?

Sorry to bother with too many questions.
Its okay buddy.
1.No self driven car rentals available.
2.Rentals from Jammu will be very costly.
3.Suggest to fly to Srinagar. Spend a day or two ,depending on your time frame.
4.Get hold of "Leh taxi" from Leh taki stand near Tourist Reception Centre. These are guys who have dropped someone from Leh To Srinagar & waiting for some prospect customer for their "journey back home".Its absolutely safe.You need to bargain.My guess is anything between 8K-9K.
5.Journey from Srinagar to Leh can be between 14-16 hrs.You can go on a stretch if you leave early from Srinagar.Otherwise you have a option of a night halt at Kargil.PLS do negotiate with the driver about this aspect before finalizing.
6.From Leh, i would recommend a similar exercise from " Manali Taxi Stand".Its bang opposite Leh bus stand. Again the negotiated rates can vary from 9K-10K.
7.Stay at Jispa overnite on the way to Manali.Its about 10 hrs drive.
8.From Jispa, you can reach Manali in another 8- 9 hrs depending on weather at Rohtang.
9.I will meet you at Manali for a "cheers up" for your onward journey!!

I would highly recommend at least 5 nights- in between,when you leave Srinagar & reach Manali.

If you wish to take your on vehicle, its another story altogether.Do let me know, and we can discuss on that also.
Hope this helps.

Thread Starter #8
Hey Thanks missionmanali for a fantastic reply. I will let you know for sure my itinery.

The trip is in my dreams for the last 5 to 6 years. I need to fulfill it.

Once again thank you for the prompt reply

Its okay buddy.
1.No self driven car rentals available.
2.Rentals from Jammu will be very costly.
3.Suggest to fly to Srinagar. Spend a day or two ,depending on your time frame.
4.Get hold of "Leh taxi" from Leh taki stand near Tourist Reception Centre. These are guys who have dropped someone from Leh To Srinagar & waiting for some prospect customer for their "journey back home".Its absolutely safe.You need to bargain.My guess is anything between 8K-9K.
5.Journey from Srinagar to Leh can be between 14-16 hrs.You can go on a stretch if you leave early from Srinagar.Otherwise you have a option of a night halt at Kargil.PLS do negotiate with the driver about this aspect before finalizing.
6.From Leh, i would recommend a similar exercise from " Manali Taxi Stand".Its bang opposite Leh bus stand. Again the negotiated rates can vary from 9K-10K.
7.Stay at Jispa overnite on the way to Manali.Its about 10 hrs drive.
8.From Jispa, you can reach Manali in another 8- 9 hrs depending on weather at Rohtang.
9.I will meet you at Manali for a "cheers up" for your onward journey!!

I would highly recommend at least 5 nights- in between,when you leave Srinagar & reach Manali.

If you wish to take your on vehicle, its another story altogether.Do let me know, and we can discuss on that also.
Hope this helps.
Hey great bit of information though my requirements are slightly different. Can you please tell me if I can do the Spiti sector between Manali Shimla in end May. Will Kumzum be open. Also what is the probability of me getting to Chandratal

Top Bottom