Bangalore To Coonoor Route Options & Ideas

Thread Starter #1
Hello folks,

Planning a trip from Bangalore to Coonoor on 30th Jan (2 days - counting hours) with my pals - convoy of 3 cars (XUV, Verna & my Cutee). Needed help on what would be the best route to take.

We plan to leave Bangalore at 6a on 30th. After googling and going through multiple travelogues thinking of these two - but your opinions/suggestions would be best.

Current Plan:
Bangalore to Coonoor:
Bangalore > Mandya > Mysore > Najangod > Gundlupet > Bandipur> Masinagudi > Ooty > Coonoor

Coonoor to Bangalore (1st Feb 10am leave Coonoor):
Coonoor > Mettupalayam > Avinasi > Erode > Salem > Dharamapuri > Krishnagiri > Hosur > Bangalore

Couple of questions:
1. What would be the best route to go and best route to return?
2. Return was planned to avoid Mysore as we will be back on a Sunday evening.
3. If the route via Gundlupet is recommended - any new updates on the road conditions?
4. 36 hair-pin bends - any comments as we will likely hit it around 11a - 12p.
5. Recommended places in the onward route for lunch / good place for lunch in Ooty (I am assuming we will hit Ooty by 12p).

Re: Bangalore To Coonoor Route options | Ideas

You can try the Kanakapura road to Chamrajnagar -> Gundlupet

The route via Gudalur is very scenic and has a lot of attractions. (Needle rock view point, Pykara lake, Pykara dam, Frog hill view point, Grass hills, etc). But the road was in a very bad state when we tried last June.

Coonoor - Sims park, Dolphin's nose, Lamb's Rock, Lady Canning's Seat, Law's Falls and Kateri Falls, if there are any water. You can also try the famous Avalanche Lake near Ooty.

A ride on the train between Coonoor and Ooty will also be good.

Don't worry if you miss seeing some tourist spots. The idea is to have fun.

While coming down from Coonoor, the route via Kothagiri will be more scenic and traffic free. The other route will have a lot of bus traffic.

I would say avoid gudalur road, its in bad state and also takes longer and the drive will be hectic because of the lorry's and buses.

The roads are good in the 36 hair pin bends, as i did ooty last month.

Hotel Blue Hills in ooty serves some good non-veg food. Its next to nahar hotel. Worth trying. If you are in for Chinese food then chinkos is a good option.

While returning hope you are taking the annur road to reach Avinasi

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

road laying work has started 3 days back both from ooty and gudalur side. me and my freins covered this roads 3 days on back on karizma.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

You can try the Kanakapura road to Chamrajnagar -> Gundlupet

The route via Gudalur is very scenic and has a lot of attractions. (Needle rock view point, Pykara lake, Pykara dam, Frog hill view point, Grass hills, etc). But the road was in a very bad state when we tried last June.

Coonoor - Sims park, Dolphin's nose, Lamb's Rock, Lady Canning's Seat, Law's Falls and Kateri Falls, if there are any water. You can also try the famous Avalanche Lake near Ooty.

A ride on the train between Coonoor and Ooty will also be good.

Don't worry if you miss seeing some tourist spots. The idea is to have fun.

While coming down from Coonoor, the route via Kothagiri will be more scenic and traffic free. The other route will have a lot of bus traffic.
Thank you @Highway Ranger for the updates - we couldn't get the tickets for 12 of us in the train unfortunately.

I would say avoid gudalur road, its in bad state and also takes longer and the drive will be hectic because of the lorry's and buses.

The roads are good in the 36 hair pin bends, as i did ooty last month.

Hotel Blue Hills in ooty serves some good non-veg food. Its next to nahar hotel. Worth trying. If you are in for Chinese food then chinkos is a good option.

While returning hope you are taking the annur road to reach Avinasi

Enjoy your trip!
@cagebee - Hotel Blue Hills, interesting [:)] Any traditional food serving restaurants.

road laying work has started 3 days back both from ooty and gudalur side. me and my freins covered this roads 3 days on back on karizma.
@pravin1987 - thank you for the super recent update. Hope the road laying work is done now [glasses]

Hi,
The return which you planned was bit long compared to Mysore route. But the Avinashi-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore is very time consuming.
Roads were in Top notch, it might take only 4 to 5 hours to reach bangalore from Annur.

Top Bottom