Chennai - Kovalam - Trivandrum - Kochi - Chennai Route Update

Thread Starter #1
Had been to Kovalam and Kochi last week and the following is the route update:

Chennai - Madurai - NH45 - Thirumangalam - NH7 - Kavalkinaru - Aralvaimozhi - Nagercoil - Kovalam

NH45 and NH 7 was excellent as usual. Took a right turn after Kavalkinaru which took to Aralvaimozhi route. Initially the routes have some pot holes but the drive can be managed and since it was afternoon time 12.30pm, the traffic was less. From Kavalkinaru to kovalam it took close to 3 hours with a 30 minute lunch break. 99% of the 2 lane in this stretch are good. Once you cross Nagercoil, traffic thins out.

Kovalam - Trivandrum - Kollam - Alleppey - Kochi

This was a straight route of NH47. The distance was just 200 kms however it took close to 7 hours to reach as I started at 10am. As this is the first time am driving to Trivandrum and Kochi was not aware of MC Road and had to bear with traffic all along. There was a huge jam before changanassery - alleppey junction (on NH47) which lasted for more than 45 mins.

Kochi - Chalakudy - Athirapally - Kochi

This route took me to 2.5 hours one way whereas 2 hours on the return direction. Till Chalakudy it is a 4 lane and the road becomes narrow once you get into the Chalakudy town road towards Athirapally. However, couple of stretches have potholes which is manageable and mostly the road is in excellent condition till Athirappally. It gets wider once you drive past the town limits.

Kochi - Angamaly - Thrissur - Vadakkanchery - Famous Kuthiran - Palakkad - Walayar - Palladam - Avinashi - Sankari - Salem Bypass - NH7 - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai

It took me 13 hours including breaks of over 2 hours as I started around 8 am from Kochi. It took me 4 hours to get into TamilNadu. Kochi to Thrissur was 4 lane with minimal traffic and once you cross Thrissur, 2 lane starts and suddenly you get to see so much of traffic. Kuthiran stretch has been patched to a greater extent and road widening work is in progress till Walayar (of Kerala side). The roads from Thrissur till Walayar in excellent condition except for the Kuthiran stretch which is manageable. Once you cross L&T tolls, roads are in excellent condition till Wallajah. Experienced some traffic on the Salem bypass which reduced the speed and lot of trucks near Dharampuri were finding it difficult to climb the roads resulting in slow moving of traffic - They occupied all the 3 lanes.

Awesome. Wish you had deviated from Aralvaimozhi (around 8 kms after Kavalkinaru) and drive it through Thittuvilai, Thadikarankonam, Kulasekaram, Nedumangad and then to Trivandrum. It will be longer by 30 kms. But you can get a peace of driving. The traffic from Nagercoil to Trivandrum is really hectic in the day time.

Last week I did a bike ride from Aralvaimozhi to Nedumangad. Roads are excellent. It was awesome to drive it through the rubber estates.

Last edited:

Top Bottom