Kochi (Aluva) To Coorg (Madikeri) Route and Eating Places Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

I am planning a trip from Aluva to Madikeri on the 25th of December and return on 28th December. I have not driven much in Kerala, and the long drives that I have been on are all to Coimbatore side. So really unsure about road conditions and timelines for this trip. I hope you guys can point out the best routes and good breakfast / lunch places enroute.
Some details are as follows:

Vehicle: Ford Ecosport.
Crew: 4 Adults (2 can drive), 3 kids (all below 3 yrs).
Schedule Start Time: 6 AM, 25th December (Aluva)
Planned Route: Alwaye-Trichur-Kecheri-Akkikkavu-Edappal-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara (Take Calicut byepass here) - Vadakara - Mekunnu - Kuthuparamba - Mattanur - Iritty - Virajpet - Madikeri

I would like to know
1.) Is this the most sensible route ? Road conditions, traffic etc?
2.) Time estimate for the drive. Google maps shows 7.30 hrs. I am sure it would be more than that, with Kerala roads and dense traffic. If someone can give me a split up of time, that would be great.

Alwaye - Calicut : ??
Calicut - Iritty : ??
Iritty - Madikeri : ??

I have heard about the ghat section after Iritty (Makkoottam Churam). We expect to pass this around 3 - 4PM. Would it be safe at a later hour, if we are delayed for some reason?

Also, any breakfast / lunch suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Kochi (Aluva) to Coorg (Madikeri) Route and Eating places suggestions.

Aluva- paravoor-moothakunnam-padakulam-SN Puram- kottamkulam--thalikulam---kundaliyoor---thiruvatra---------palappetty--------Take a right from Ponnani----ponnani kuttipuram Rd then take a left to ponnani tirur Rd------charmavattom roadp------tirur--------payyanangadi-----ovungal----vailathur---kozhichena-----kakkad------ramanattukara----thiruvangoor----payyoli-----mekunnu-----pookode----iritty----peratta-----virajpeth----madikeri( most of the roads i suggested are Highways) what time are you planning to leave Aluva

Thread Starter #3

Thanks Incarnation.

It is the route I initially planned to take, via Kodungalloor - Guruvayoor, Ponnani and so on. But one of my friends suggested to take Thrisur - Kunamkulam - Kuttipuram route, as roads are better and not too many buses and truck traffic.

Planning to leave 6 AM from Aluva.

Thrissur-kunnamkulam-kuttipuram road is more wider and your average speed will be more through this way.You can easily reach thrissur in less than 1 hr and Kozhikode in 4hr, but from thrissur towrds Kunnamkulam will be crowded after morning.

The other road is narrow and traffic will be more.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks Relessh. Precisely the advice I am hearing from friends. With the Thrissur route in mind, do you guys reckon, we will be able to reach Madikeri by 5 PM or will it take longer, considering the fact that we might break journey to stretch legs - tea / lunch, for about 1.5 hrs.

Roadster145@

I am from Angamaly and i did visit thamarassery/sulatan bathery atleast once in a quarter.Though Thrissur-kozhikkode byepass route is the good one, i'll take only Shornoor-perinthalmanna-mukkam road due to traffic in the other road in morning hours. I have not much experiance on the roads after kozhikode in that route.

Top Bottom