Planning a Trip To Leh in Safari Storme

Thread Starter #1
Till 2013 I did not even heard much about the place Leh, but after reading the travelogues of TAI and other forums Leh is in my dream.

While selecting Storme in May 2014, Leh was in mind. But I was not so confident to take my new vehicle to Leh because I just upgraded from an Alto to Storme. Driving a beast for the first time, but now I realize it is more easy vehicle. One more reason to postponed the trip was the accident occurred during our Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi trip.

Now I am planning for a leh trip most probably in August 2015. Done the home work in 2013.

My daughter is only 2 years old, so I don’t want to take my family to leh now.
I can accommodate 2-3 similar minded peoples in my Storme and also I would like to travel in a group of peoples and vehicles from south India.

The suggestions from the experienced members are highly welcome.

The itinerary is as below:

Trip to Leh, the Itinerary:

Day 1: Adoor -> Alappuzha -> Ernakulam -> Kozhikkode (335 Km)

Day 2: Kozhikkode – Kolhapur 773km
Kozhikkode -> Mahe -> Kannur -> Bekal -> Kasargod -> Mangalore – Udupi -> Bhatkal -> Honavar -> Ankola -> Yellapur NH 63 -> SH 93 Alnawar -> Belgaum -> Kolhapur

Day 3: Kohlapur – Ahmedabad 887
Kohlapur -> Pune -> Thane -> Ghodbunder -> Surat -> Vadodara -> Ahmedabad

Day 4: Ahmedabad - Kishangarh: 574 km
Ahmedabad -> Udaipur -> Chittorgarh NH76-> Mandpiya NH 79-> Atoon -> Nasirabad Byepass NH 79 -> Kishangarh

Day-5: Kishangarh -> Amritsar (690km)
Kishangarh ->RJ SH 7 -> NH 65 A -> Bhiyani -> Khanpur -> Sujangarh -> Ratangarh -> Rawatsar -> Hanumangarh -> Batinda -> Kot Kapura -> Faridkot Bp ->Tarn Taran -> Amritsar

Day-6: Amritsar -> Srinagar (458 Km)
Amritsar -> Pathankot -> Lakhenpur -> Samba -> Udhampur -> Srinagar (Visit Golden temple, Jalian Valla bag)

Day 7: Srinagar -> Kargil (204 Km)
Srinagar, Dal Lake, -> Zoji-La pass -> Drass -> Tigerhills -> Kargil

Day 8: Kargil – Rangdum (130km)
Via: Kargil (0) – Panikhar (Suru Valley) (68) –Rangdum (Suru Valley) (130)

Day 9: Rangdum (Suru Valley) (0) – Pnsi La (Zansar Valley) (25) – Padum (Zansar Valley) (115) See twin lakes Stat Tso & Lang Tso, Glacier Durang Durung on the way to Padum,

At padum Shiela fall, burdun gompa

Day 10: Padum – Kargil (245km)

Day 11: Kargil (0) – Lamayuru (110) – Leh (235)
Kargil – Mulbek- Namika La – Fotu La – Lamayuru (Visit Lemayuru Moon land) – Nimmu – Leh

Day 12: Leh
Permits, Visit Hemis Monastery (60km), Thiksey Gompa (20Km 0n Leh Manali Road), Main Market, Castle Tsemo, Magnetic Hill, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Nishan Sahib of the Gurudwara

Day 13, 14, 15: Leh - Numbra Vally - Leh (489Km)
Day 13: Leh (0) – Khardung La (40) – Khalsar (98) – Diskit (118) – Hunder (126)

Day 14: Hunder (0) – Turtuk (79) – Hunder (158) – Diskit (166)

Day 15: Diskit (0) – Sumur – Panamik – Leh (197km)

Day 16: Leh – Dah – leh

Day 17: Leh (Reserve / Rest day)

Day 18: Leh – Marsimik La - Pangong Tso (Spangmik) (220 Km)
Leh (0) – Karu (45) – Chang La (80) – Tangtsey (138) (170) – Lukung -> Tablang -> Phobrang -> Marsimik La (18634 real highest motorable way ft) – Phobrang - Lukung -> Spangmik (Pangong Tso) (220)

Day 19: Pangong Tso (Spangmik) – Hanle (180 Km) Visit Hanl Monastrey, Chandra telescope.
Pangong Tso – Chushul – Mitpal Tso – Mahe – Cghagga La – Loma – Hanle

Day 20: Hanle – Kyun Tso I & II - Nyoma – Mahe – Sumdo - Karzok - Tso Moriri (180Km)

Day 21: - Tso Moriri - Karzok - Sumdo - Tso Kar (240Km) – Moore Plains – Debring (280Km) – Sarchu -> Bharatpur -> Baralacha La -> Darcha -> Jispa (303 Km)

Total Km done during Day 17, 18, 19 = 220 + 180+180+303 =880Km+Jispa + Tandi 50Km =930Km (Diesel requirement = 930/8 =116L)
Diesel Storage 55 (tank) + 2x35 ltr Cans = 125L

Day 22: Jispa -> Keylong (22km) -> Tandi (50Km) Kokhsar -> Chandra Taal (170 Km)

Day 23: Chandra Taal -> Losar – Kaza – Key – Kibber – Gette - Kaza (161 Km)

Day 24: Kaza – Langza – Hikkim – Komic – Lidang – Dhankhar – Tabo (103Km-8hrs) en route visit Dhankar Monastery and Pin Valley. After arriving at Kaza, tank up and then visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village.

Day 25: Tabo - Kinnaur (Reckong Peo) - Kalpa (178Km – 10hrs) en route visit Nako Lake and mummy of a Buddhist monk at Giu Village.

Day 26: Kalpa (Around Kalpa)

Day 27: Kalpa – Sangla – Chitkul (75Km) 8.5 hours. Visit Kamru Temple at sangla

Day 28: - Chitkul - Sarahan – Rampur (130 Km) 7hrs

Day 29: Rampur –> Ambala -> Karnal -> Panipat (400Km)

Day 30: Panipat –> Sonipat -> Delhi -> Outer Ring Road (NH 1) -> GT Noida Express way -> Yamuna Expressway -> Agra -> Gwalior -> Jhansi (533Km)

Day 31: Jhansi -> Hyderabad (1102Km)

Day 32: Hyderabad -> Kurnool-> Bangalore -> Mysore (718 Km)

Day 33: Mysore – Kozhikkode (250Km)

Day 34: Kozhikkode - Adoor (310Km)

Last edited:
Re: Planning For a Trip To Leh in Safari Storme

Best of Luck. And May you have a safe and sound journey. let almighty guide you throughout bro. Have you made the necessary prepration like the list of tools and everything else you need to take along with you if not please make sure you do. im sure you have gone through all other travelogues before planning yours. Once Again have a safe Ride.

Last edited:

anil_ksp first of all best of luck for your mother of all trips.
1) from kannur to mangalore you needn't go via bekal as the road is narrower. the NH goes via cherkala - unless you intend to see the bekal fort.
2) do you need to traverse the whole of our kerala roads with its heavy and unpredictable traffic. you could go from trissur to bangalore - belgaum - pune - mumbai as i feel it will be a faster road.
3) on the first day of your trip if there are other good drivers you can do a non stop 24 hour drive ( as i did on my trip to leh)
4) a 34 day long trip would be very taxing and may get boring towards the end i would suggest to trim it a bit.
5) day 4 - i think you can drive beyond kishangarh.
6) magnetic hill & gurudwara pathar sahib can be covered on the drive from kargil to leh as its on the way.
7) from nubra valley you can go directly to pangong tso ( via the agam -shyok route )
8) all monastries seemed the same for us, after the first 2 we got bored and didn't visit all of them. ( unless you are interested in budhism and are well versed in its culture i think skipping a few would save you time )
9) on day 21 better to halt at keylong which has more hotels than jispa ( only 2 i think )

Thread Starter #4

Best of Luck. And May you have a safe and sound journey. let almighty guide you throughout bro. Have you made the necessary prepration like the list of tools and everything else you need to take along with you if not please make sure you do. im sure you have gone through all other travelogues before planning yours. Once Again have a safe Ride.
Thanks bro. Yes I have made a list of items to be carried during this trip.

anil_ksp first of all best of luck for your mother of all trips.
1) from kannur to mangalore you needn't go via bekal as the road is narrower. the NH goes via cherkala - unless you intend to see the bekal fort.
2) do you need to traverse the whole of our kerala roads with its heavy and unpredictable traffic. you could go from trissur to bangalore - belgaum - pune - mumbai as i feel it will be a faster road.
3) on the first day of your trip if there are other good drivers you can do a non stop 24 hour drive ( as i did on my trip to leh)
4) a 34 day long trip would be very taxing and may get boring towards the end i would suggest to trim it a bit.
5) day 4 - i think you can drive beyond kishangarh.
6) magnetic hill & gurudwara pathar sahib can be covered on the drive from kargil to leh as its on the way.
7) from nubra valley you can go directly to pangong tso ( via the agam -shyok route )
8) all monastries seemed the same for us, after the first 2 we got bored and didn't visit all of them. ( unless you are interested in budhism and are well versed in its culture i think skipping a few would save you time )
9) on day 21 better to halt at keylong which has more hotels than jispa ( only 2 i think )
Thank you very much Dr.
Your suggestion are most welcome.
The route trissur to bangalore - belgaum - pune is better.
34 days too long, will try to trim it.
Will change the itinerary as per the points 2-9

Anil
as SR rightly said, the trip may be trimmed to maximum 4 weeks, what I feel.

you may go through every page of SR's thread as it is a reference guide for travellers to Leh.

I was lucky to be at Leh for three months way back in 1989 Apr to June, while I was in IAF.

if you don't have any specific plan to go via Kozhikode, better plan via Bangalore, as SR said.
for you, the easiest way to avoid Kerala traffic blocks, you can choose Tenkasi,Madurai,Bangalore route which is 650 km approx., from Pattazhi.

road condition is excellent as its NH-7 four lane starting from kanyakumari to Bangalore via Madurai. you can go via Tenkasi-Puliyankudi-Thirumangalam- enter NH7 - Madurai- Bangalore.

If u want to access NH-7 much before thirumangalam, from puliyankudi, you take a right turn and head to Kovilpatti and enter the NH-7 and turn left for Madurai.

you will love riding on that road if you don't mind opening your wallet, every after 60 to 80 KM.
(Toll Booth[cry])

I had a trip to Hyderabad Ramoji Film city via Madurai , Bangalore recently

All the best for your trip

Hi Anil,

I am also interested for Leh trip and want to go in my Storme as well. I am planning this trip since last two years but somehow could not go. I want to travel with my family but my daughter will be 4 and half year old around june and i am little worried whether i can take her with me or not, that's the main reason that this trip is getting postponed every year. Moreover i will be the solo driver and I working in IT so cannot take more than 10-12 days leave.

Last edited:
If you want to save days in driving (almost it take 12 days for home to leh & manali to home), you can always book Mahindra Adventure. You can reach Srinagar by flight, drive 4x4 Mahindra vehicle (usually Scorpio or XUV500) from Srinagar to manali via leh through preprogrammed schedule, along with other like minded people + Mahindra technicians / engineers & brakeup vehicles. All car + food + stay from Mahindra, diesel by you. No need to waste days for drive to Srinagar / manali, no need to arrange for food or stay, not to worry about vehicle breakdown in journey etc. Well at the cost that you can't drive storme or no sightseeing for home -> Srinagar / manali -> home.

Thread Starter #8
Anil
as SR rightly said, the trip may be trimmed to maximum 4 weeks, what I feel.

you may go through every page of SR's thread as it is a reference guide for travellers to Leh.

I was lucky to be at Leh for three months way back in 1989 Apr to June, while I was in IAF.

if you don't have any specific plan to go via Kozhikode, better plan via Bangalore, as SR said.
for you, the easiest way to avoid Kerala traffic blocks, you can choose Tenkasi,Madurai,Bangalore route which is 650 km approx., from Pattazhi.

road condition is excellent as its NH-7 four lane starting from kanyakumari to Bangalore via Madurai. you can go via Tenkasi-Puliyankudi-Thirumangalam- enter NH7 - Madurai- Bangalore.

If u want to access NH-7 much before thirumangalam, from puliyankudi, you take a right turn and head to Kovilpatti and enter the NH-7 and turn left for Madurai.

you will love riding on that road if you don't mind opening your wallet, every after 60 to 80 KM.
(Toll Booth[cry])

I had a trip to Hyderabad Ramoji Film city via Madurai , Bangalore recently

All the best for your trip
Thanks Rajesh Murali.
Yes I need to trim the trip, SR gave me some suggestions which will be helpful to save 3-4 days. I am thinking of to cut the himachal part also [cry] (from Chandratal) but not finalized.

Cannot skip Kozhikkod, My wife is working there, otherwise she may skip me [lol]

Hi Anil,

I am also interested for Leh trip and want to go in my Storme as well. I am planning this trip since last two years but somehow could not go. I want to travel with my family but my daughter will be 4 and half year old around june and i am little worried whether i can take her with me or not, that's the main reason that this trip is getting postponed every year. Moreover i will be the solo driver and I working in IT so cannot take more than 10-12 days leave.

You are welcome bro. Taking your kid to such kind of a place is not advisable.
I am also facing same problem, I will go there once with them, may be by flying to leh and hiring a taxi from there.

Nice Thread[;)]
Actually I had drafted Writing Up a Similar Request and Suggestions for
My Leh-Ladakh-Trip from Kolkata, Trip Starting on 15-May-2015.
I Thought it was pretty early to post!
My Plans are ready on Paper, but still needed any corrections or modifications from the members.
Admins can I post a separate Thread?
Also Thank You Anil, for posting the route in Detail.

@ Anil ksp that was funny that your wife might skip you. however i agree with Smooth rider and Rajesh murali that once you have a long trip the problem is high spirit at the begining and at the end all the spirit would have drained out and one would feel monotonous. so i think the plan should be tailored, You have ample amount of time to do that, im sure you will figure it out. in the mean time i have come up with a route not sure how many KMs but im sure it the shortest

Adoor--------Madurai--------Bangalore--------Hyderabad------Nagpur------agra-----Mathura ----- delhi----panipat-----ambala------kharad-----rupnagar----malikpur------ghanauli-------bharatghar-----kiratpur shaib( this is on kullu manali road from kharad PUNJAB)-----Mandi(Himachal Pradesh)-------kulu------manali------ladakh. This would be a total of 3826 kms its the shortest Route.

Last edited:
@ Anil ksp that was funny that your wife might skip you. however i agree with Smooth rider and Rajesh murali that once you have a long trip the problem is high spirit at the begining and at the end all the spirit would have drained out and one would feel monotonous. so i think the plan should be tailored, You have ample amount of time to do that, im sure you will figure it out. in the mean time i have come up with a route not sure how many KMs but im sure it the shortest

Adoor--------Madurai--------Bangalore--------Hyderabad------Nagpur------agra-----Mathura ----- delhi----panipat-----ambala------kharad-----rupnagar----malikpur------ghanauli-------bharatghar-----kiratpur shaib( this is on kullu manali road from kharad PUNJAB)-----Mandi(Himachal Pradesh)-------kulu------manali------ladakh. This would be a total of 3826 kms its the shortest Route.
For first Timers its sugested to go via srinagar as the ascend is slow from the srinagar side compared to manali side , inorder to prevent AMS. For peoplr from down under i think its better to go via srinagar.

If you want to save days in driving (almost it take 12 days for home to leh & manali to home), you can always book Mahindra Adventure. You can reach Srinagar by flight, drive 4x4 Mahindra vehicle (usually Scorpio or XUV500) from Srinagar to manali via leh through preprogrammed schedule, along with other like minded people + Mahindra technicians / engineers & brakeup vehicles. All car + food + stay from Mahindra, diesel by you. No need to waste days for drive to Srinagar / manali, no need to arrange for food or stay, not to worry about vehicle breakdown in journey etc. Well at the cost that you can't drive storme or no sightseeing for home -> Srinagar / manali -> home.
Dhoom going on a planned trip without any unceratinity will rob you of the sense of adventure. Going to leh with all the support of a mobile workshop is not my way of adventure. The planning of the trip and the drive from down under is another exilerating part of the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
For first Timers its sugested to go via srinagar as the ascend is slow from the srinagar side compared to manali side , inorder to prevent AMS. For peoplr from down under i think its better to go via srinagar.

Dhoom going on a planned trip without any unceratinity will rob you of the sense of adventure. Going to leh with all the support of a mobile workshop is not my way of adventure. The planning of the trip and the drive from down under is another exilerating part of the whole thing.
Rightly said SR.. been seconded by me.

No adventure in conquering Everest with a chopper

Thread Starter #13

The planning of the trip and the drive from down under is another exilerating part of the whole thing.
Exactly, that is the reason for choosing Srinagar - leh route

It is really thrilling to drive on the worlds the highest vehicle accessible pass (at least in the record) in the world.

Rightly said SR.. been seconded by me.

No adventure in conquering Everest with a chopper
True

Top Bottom