3 - 4 Days in Chennai. Suggest Round Trip Please?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Taigers,
I am going to be in Chennai and have a leave from work for about 3 to 4 days, I need as plan as to visit near by places. I am not planning to stay at Chennai as I dont want to visit and come back to my Hotel, rather I want to keep staying at Hotels on the way so that I can cover more places. So need input, I would like to visit the historic temples, museums and beaches. Non veg dinner is preferred [evil]
I will be driving from Mangalore - Bangalore -Chennai.

Re: 3-4 days at Chennai, suggest round trip please?

Hello Taigers,
I am not planning to stay at Chennai as I dont want to visit and come back to my Hotel, rather I want to keep staying at Hotels on the way so that I can cover more places.
I like this [thumbsup]. True Traveler spirit.

Do visit the following places.

1. Mamallapuram, - One of the best 50 KMs from Chennai
2. Pondicherry. - Beaches, French Colony, Drinks and lot more - 150 KMs from Chennai
3. Kancheepuram - Historical Temples & Silk (On the way from Bangalore to Chennai)

Pls elaborate your plan of travel, so that I can help you more based on your plan. Even you can call me if you are free.

You can also visit Muttukadu near Chennai (on the way to Mamallapuram), Hope they still have boat rides there also on the way you can visit Crocodile park.

Places to Visit in Chennai and Tourist Destinations near Chennai
@Indian, If you are planning to end your trip in Pondicherry, you make look at the below places

1. Marina Beach - Chennai
2. Snake Park - Chennai - 2 Hrs
3. Crocodile Park - in ECR Road - Time required - 2 Hrs
4. Muttukadu - @mgobinathbe Boating still works - 2 hrs

From Pondicherry, you can visit the temples on the below thread.
5. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/17129-not-easily-seen-but-exceptional-temples-tamil-nadu-villupuram-dist.html

After finishing these temples you can go to
6. Annamalaiyar Temple - Tiruvannamalai

And you may use any of the following route to reach Mangalore

[MAP]Thiruvannamalai to Mangalore[/MAP]

Last edited:
First of all, Welcome to Chennai[clap]

As you are traveling in Chennai-Banglore Highways, I'm suggesting you to visit Golden temple at Vellore(Which is some 10kms from Banglore-Chennai Highway)

Visit Kanjipuram, Varadharaja Perumal Temple and Kamatchi Temple without fail. Also carry Credit card to buy some silk sarees[:D].

Visit Mahabalipuram, crocodile park and Enjoy the small drive in ECR

If you are planning for pondy, allocate 1 full day for Pondy and enjoy the drive in ECR

In Chennai, Visit EA and Phoenix, Marina/Beasant Nagar Beach, Kabalieshwar temple.

I think, you can cover the above mentioned in 3-4 days easily without any hectic.

First of all, Welcome to Chennai[clap]

As you are traveling in Chennai-Banglore Highways, I'm suggesting you to visit Golden temple at Vellore(Which is some 10kms from Banglore-Chennai Highway)

Visit Kanjipuram, Varadharaja Perumal Temple and Kamatchi Temple without fail. Also carry Credit card to buy some silk sarees[:D].

Visit Mahabalipuram, crocodile park and Enjoy the small drive in ECR

If you are planning for pondy, allocate 1 full day for Pondy and enjoy the drive in ECR

In Chennai, Visit EA and Phoenix, Marina/Beasant Nagar Beach, Kabalieshwar temple.

I think, you can cover the above mentioned in 3-4 days easily without any hectic.
Already he planned to visit Golden Temple. IMO, it is not looking like a temple, it's resort. No offence.

I visited very long back. They collected around Rs 200 as a entrance fee. I don't see any divine power except the money power.[evil]

Thread Starter #8
Thanks guys for the valuable suggestions. After doing lot of thinking here is the plan skeleton now. You all need to fill the blanks[surprise]

1. Saturday Mangalore to Bangalore. Stay at Bangalore

2. Sunday stay at Bangalore

3. Monday, Drive from Bangalore to Chennai. Stay at Chennai
On the way visit Golden Temple, and ____ ??

4. Tuesday by noon complete consulate work and then drive to Pondicherry . Stay at Pondicherry .
On the way visit, Mahabalipuram, shore temple ____??

5. Wednesday Pondicherry (Full day Site seeing) POI ____??

6. Thursday drive to Bangalore(or Mysore)
On the way Annamalaiyar Temple Thiruvannamalai, ____??

7. Friday Bangalore to Mangalore

Note: I am skipping major things in Chennai as I have been to all the places about 4 years back and I want to save the time.
Pondicherry never been so want to see it with leisure. I will be interested in walk in the neighborhood, eat at local style restaurant, dip at clean beaches and sip a beer.
I like to visit temples, churches and Mosques provided they are historic and old.

I hope now it should be easy for you guys. [roll]
Thanks once again for the all the tips. [:D]

1. vandalur zoo and lion safari- did a vist last week and some new set of hyenas, tigers were their.
2. guindy snake part
3. mutukadu crocodile park
4. boating
5. kovalam beach
6. jain temple
7. devaneri beach..deserted place. even you can take a hatchback to beach . road is there
8, mahabalipuram
9, dakshin chatra in ecr
10. kanchipuram temple and sarees
11. pondicherry
12. all those malls
13. forgot add to kasimedu beach
14. all those temples inside chennai

am i missing anything?[frustration]

3. Monday, Drive from Bangalore to Chennai. Stay at Chennai
On the way visit Golden Temple, and ____ ??
After visiting Golden Temple, come to Kancheepuram on the way to Chennai.
Visiting Places in kancheepuram:
1. Varadharaja Perumal Koil
2. Ulagalandha Permal Koil, Kancheepuram View attachment 149149

A description of Thiruvikrama Over 30 feet in height Left leg is seen lifted at a right angle(to the body), parallel to the ground. Right leg is seen placed on Mahabali’s head 2 fingers on his left hand stretched out referring to the two steps he took to measure this world 1 stretched finger on his right hand indicates the question the Lord posed to MahaBali as to where he could place his 3rd step.

The gigantic Ulagalantha Perumal is special to Kanchipuram and a Lord of this size, and in this form, cannot be seen in any other Divya Desam.

3. Kanchi Kamakshi Temple
4. Ekambareswarar Temple
It is one of the five major Shiva temples or Pancha Bootha Sthalams (each representing a natural element) representing the element - Earth

4. Tuesday by noon complete consulate work and then drive to Pondicherry . Stay at Pondicherry .
On the way visit, Mahabalipuram, shore temple ____??
Mahabalipuram Shore Temple, Arjuna's Penance, Krishna Butter ball, Five Rathas, Tiger Cave (before entering Mahabalipuram, on your left side when you come from Chennai on ECR Road.)

Mahabalipuram demands minimum 4 Hours to see all. You may drive on ECR Road to Pondicherry in Evening (7 PM to 10 PM)

Precautions: As the next day is Diwali, you will see lot vehicles going both the sides. ECR is a two lane road without any median. Look for over speeding vehicle. You will not get good quality food before reaching Pondy. Look for people & animals crossing the Road in village area. People will be celebrating Diwali, better be careful.

5. Wednesday Pondicherry (Full day Site seeing) POI ____??
1. Manakulla Vinayagar Temple You will see a lot of crowd on temple as you are in Diwali day. Early morning will be best for you.
2. Auroville & Auro Beach
3. Immaculate Conception Cathedral Church
4. Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church
5. Aurobindo Ashram
6. Chunnambar Beach
7. Promenade Beach. List goes on

Precaution:
As it is Diwali day, people will be celebrating the Diwali. Be careful on Roads while walking and driving.

6. Thursday drive to Bangalore(or Mysore)
On the way Annamalaiyar Temple Thiruvannamalai, ____??
I suggest you to take the following route to go Thiruvannamalai.

Pondy - Villupuram - Tirukoilur - Thiruvannamalai.

Road condition will be excellent from Pondy to Thiruvannamalai except some village patch road will max of 500M at a stretch.

Again I insist to visit the temples on the way to Thiruvannamalai
1. Ulagalandha Perumal Koil, Tirukoilur
The 11 storied 192 ft high Eastern temple Tower is one of the tallest temple towers among the Divya Desams. The gigantic Lord Trivikrama measuring over 20 ft in height is seen in a grand standing posture with the left foot on the ground and his right leg raised 90 degrees to his right and with the conch in his right hand and the chakra in his left.

2. Ranganatha Swamy - Adi Thiruvaranagam
Lord Ranganatha is seen in a gigantic east facing sleeping posture and measures over 15feet

3. Tiruvannamalai

Pondicherry never been so want to see it with leisure. I will be interested in walk in the neighborhood, eat at local style restaurant, dip at clean beaches and sip a beer.
I like to visit temples, churches and Mosques provided they are historic and old.

Your requirements will be fulfilled once you reach Pondicherry.

You can take bath in Chunnambar Beach, Auroville Beach, and other localized beaches.

Sip a Beer - I like this location and prefer to my friends who comes to Pondicherry. Seagulls Restaurant. . The review on trip advisor seems to be not ok. But I always had good experience here.

Any help you need, I'm there. Pls do call me if you need. As my Ashtra will be reaching Pondicherry on 21st Evening, she can meet Zuria on 21, 22 & 23. I will be very happy to help and guide you during your presence in our state.

Again our city will be in Diwali mood, pls be careful. It will not be like a Mangalore Diwali. Once I had very silent Diwali in Mangalore during my presence in Mangalore.

Happy Holidays and have a memorable journey.

Top Bottom