Bangalore > Munnar Route Info...

Thread Starter #1
We have planned a trip to Munnar later this month. I would like to know the road conditions in and around Munnar/Thekkady.

We will be taking the Hosur > Salem > Avinashi > Palladam > Udumalpet > Chinnar > Munnar route.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Good time to visit Munnar/Thekkady, as these places are beautifully drizzling and fogging now.

But i would suggest you the below road map:

Upward journey : Hosur - Salem - Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Thekkady.

Return : Thekkady-Nedumkandam-Poopara-Munnar-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Karur-Salem-Hosur.

Both the above routes are pretty scenic with beautiful roads. Try to avoid Udumalpet-Chinnar-Munnar route as the road condition is comparitively bad with the occasional disturbances from wild life.

Return : Thekkady-Nedumkandam-Poopara-Munnar-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Karur-Salem-Hosur.
I agree on the scenic part. Is the ongoing work on the ghat road stretch between Bodi mettu and Bodi completed ? I did that stretch a few months back. It wasn't great, but I was in my Scorpio.

We have planned a trip to Munnar later this month. I would like to know the road conditions in and around Munnar/Thekkady.

We will be taking the Hosur > Salem > Avinashi > Palladam > Udumalpet > Chinnar > Munnar route.

Any inputs will be appreciated.
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalapet-Chinnar-Munnar

I guess, this route is not new to you. There are some bad patches/detour in and around Udumalpet town and also within the Chinnar forest [TN]. I did this stretch last month or so and shouldn’t be any issue at all.

Return:
If you want a change, I would suggest this route:
Munnar- Gap road- Anayirangal –Poopara- Bodimettu-Bodi-Theni-Dindugal-Salem-Bangalore.
You can also take the Munnar- Anayirangal- Poopara – Thekkady and return to Munnar if you don ‘t wish to head back to Bangalore directly from Thekkady.

Except for the Bodi mettu-Bodi ghat stretch, the rest of the route should be exceptionally smooth to drive along. The Munnar-Poopara stretch via Gap Road is a treat and if you haven’t been already, it is a must visit stretch. Though narrow, it is beautifully laid tarmac all the way up to Bodi mettu.

The TN Ghat road [Bodi]used to be much better a few years back. It is only when they started the road widening work, it got deteriorated. It is still very much drivable and the view/ scenic beauty all along the stretch will compensate for any roughness that you encounter on the surface. If you want to take an early break, you may do it at Hotel Western Ghats or Hotel Theni International @ Theni, beyond which you may not have good options.

Munnar should be at its best this time of the year. All the best and do take care.

Edit:

Gap Road @Munnar

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalapet-Chinnar-Munnar

I guess, this route is not new to you. There are some bad patches/detour in and around Udumalpet town and also within the Chinnar forest [TN]. I did this stretch last month or so and shouldn’t be any issue at all.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/ownership-reviews/140188d1405086595-powered-m-hawk-mahindra-scorpio-sle-5-years-77-000-kms-dsc_0732.jpg
Yes. I am familiar with this route. And I intend to go through Chinnar. Last time we had a wild encounter with an rogue elephant. Hoping to see some wildlife/birds this time too.

What I heard was that some road repair work going on in and around Munnar town. l was hoping to get some update on that.

As for the route to Munnar, I will use the route I mentioned in the OP.

Thanks all for your inputs.

We went to munnar on last week of august.the experience was awesome. You have selected the correct route. I didn't have a great experience with the Dindigul-Theni-Badi-Munnar route. The road at TN side are in very bad condition and less scenic compared to the udumalpet-chinnar-munnar route.
Please have a look at my TL and let me know in case you need more info.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/18302-feeling-rain-munnar.html

Top Bottom