Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya Route Query

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
Planning a trip to Kasaragod tomorrow. Thought of going through Subramanya this time. Last time we went to Dharmasthala on route.

Confusion is about the left. One road is almost right opposite to Dharmasthala turn at Nelyadi. The other left is at Gundya.
Which is the better road out of two.
Traveling with my little one (10 month).

Any route idea to Kasaragod from Subramanya?

Thanks for your help

Thread Starter #2
We just completed the round trip & reached yesterday (Sunday 5th oct)

While going we took,
Bangalore - Nayandahalli - Nelamangala - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Subramanya
Subramanya -Jalsoor - Cherkala - Kasaragod

Total KM - 387KM (from BTM Layout)

Road condition.
Bangalore to Hassan -> Roads are really good . Found two more toll booth compared to last year april.
Hassan to Sakleshpura Ghat. I think around 12 KM before the sakleshpur town are really bad compared to the ghat section. Some part of ghat section also were equally bad. It took hell lot of time with the baby. Some were just zooming by jumping from one potholes to another. I did not want to come back at the same road at any cost.

Gundya to Subramanya - Roads are of single lane and are wider than the Dharmasthala road (which we take from Nelyadi). You need to watch out for KSRTC buses as they do not slow down at all.

Subramanya to Jalsoor - Twist & Turns all the way. Avoid this just after lunch. We had lunch at subramanya and my wife was feeling giddiness and finally threw up (She never vomits during travel). Roads are of good condition too.
Jalsoor to Cherkala - Roads are again great with twist & turns. Nice scenic way almost all the way. Not at all tough to drive. Have to be careful at turns .
Cherkala to Kasaragod - 14KM or so. Not so good roads. But manageable.

On return, we took
Kasaragod - Cherkala - Jalsoor - Sulya town - Madikeri - Kushal Nagar- Hunsur - Yelawala - Srirangapata - Mandya - Ramnagar -Bidadi - Kenkeri - NICE Road to Bannerghatta road - BTM.

Took same road till Jalsoor. From there, we came to Sulya and to Madikeri.
Roads are 100 times better than sakleshpura road. I think 2-3 Km (if we add up) were unpaved/widening/pothole roads. But that was easily manageable.

Madikeri to Kushalnagar - Hunsur . Roads are good with minimal traffic.
Hunsur to Yelawala -Traffic got dense. But roads are in great conditions.
Yelawala to Srirangapatna - Roads are open now. May be 300-400meter bad road (unpaved)

From Srirangapatna to Bangalore - Heavy traffic with lots of humps .
Over all, return journey was much better than onward journey.

Total distance was around 800 km including few temple visit (Madhur Temple/ Sri Gopalakrishna temple Kudlu).

Thanks,

@ appus

Congrats for your beautiful trip.

I think I too took Madikeri - Cherkala route while going to Payangadi last January and somewhere near Cherkala only my disaster story began.

How is Madikeri-Mangalore road? Last time it was under widening processes.

Do post some pictures if you have.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
Sir,
I did not go to Mangalore. To go to Mangalore from Madikeri, you need to go down 3-4 KM and choose that Bagamandala Road i believe.

Road widening is still going on at some places (Jalsoor sulya madikeri stretch). But one side road is tarred.

Kasaragod Mangalore road is completely gone it seems. I have not traveled thru that.

Sorry.
I have not taken my camera out at all during the trip. While going, I thought will click once i start from Subramanya. As they were not feeling comfortable with heat & roads, did not even bother to take photos.

While coming baby got up early before the ghat and she threw up twice. So, my only aim was to get in to Madikeri and then Kushal Nagar before she woke up. We had our breakfast-cum-lunch at 1.30PM at Maddur Empire. Did not even have a glass of water/tea.

Feeling bad for not contributing any photos this time !

Hi Friends,
I'm planning a one day trip to Kukke Shri Subramanya temple, tomorrow. Can anyone please give input on Current Road Conditions ? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply, Vijay. The road condition remain good in the route Bangalore - Kunigal - Hasan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke.
Thanks a ton.

We didn't go on Sunday, as my Daughter's Semester exams start tomorrow. Your input will be useful when I we go there.

My colleague returned yesterday from Ramzan holidays from Mangalore. Claims that potholes have developed & you will be crawling at places to avoid them. Rains have returned to havoc Shiradi ghat. So be a little more watchful.
The famous "Shiradi Ghat Condition"is returning [shock]
I guess I'll pray to Lord Subramanya from a "Local Subramanya Temple", then. There is one nearby my home at Gokula near Mathikere.

My colleague returned yesterday from Ramzan holidays from Mangalore. Claims that potholes have developed & you will be crawling at places to avoid them. Rains have returned to havoc Shiradi ghat. So be a little more watchful.
Yes. Shiradi now developed potholes and upward journey is more painful when compared to downward. But if rain continue like this then Sampaje ghat is the best bet. Kukke - Madikeri - KushalNagar-Ramanathpur-Arkalgud-Holenarsipur-CRPatna - Bengaluru would be best choice. Though it adds to distance one can avoid back breaking Shiradi for Sure.

Bangalore to Kukke Subramanya Road Conditions

Travel Dates:
16th & 17th July 2017

Route:
Home at Bangalore North – Visveswarapura – Kunigal - Channa Raya Pattana - A2B hotel (10.5 km from CR Pattana) – Hassan – Sakleshpur – Gundya - Kukke Sri Subramanya. TOTAL = 286 km

Road Condition:
Leg-1 : Bangalore to Hasan; 187 km --- Extremely good to Good. Hats off to NHAI.

Leg-2 : Hasan to Sakleshpur; 41 km --- Good, but, watch out for those “occasional-typical Indian Road-Potholes”. They are dug up to challenge either of your Left or Right tyres.

Leg-3 : Sakleshpur to Gundya; 37 km --- Good, Bad and Ugly. Scenic Beauty, but be ready to crawl and Dodge the potholes. Better get over this stretch in BROAD DAY LIGHT, if you have time.

Leg – 4 : Gundya to Kukke; 21 km --- Very Good. Narrow but wide enough to pass a Bus at good speeds. Better drive below 50-60 kph and be ready to brake in time to avoid those swinging from their lane to our (wrong) lane, around curves.

01.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

11.JPG

14.JPG

17.JPG

SUMMARY:
In short, even if you have an EON / Nano / Atlo / M-800, and are thinking about driving to Kukke, JUST DO IT.

I have given more details on the Road Condition, Restaurants en-route, more photos and also about Hotel Booking at Kukke in my Ownership thread (here in THIS Link)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention a critical Road Condition, in my above post --- Toll Plazas [;)]

There are four of them; at Rs 25, Rs 40, Rs 40 and Rs 40. Traffic was slightly less than moderate on both Sunday and Monday, with 0-4 vehicles ahead of me in the Queue. Being used to wait behind 20-30 vehicles, THIS was a pleasant surprise. Staff at ALL FOUR Plazas were BRISK, resulting in almost ZERO DELAY [clap].

I observed dedicated FASTag Lanes, but the Tag wouldn't have made any difference. Or was I simply lucky ? Frequent travelers may comment on this.

Great update, Vijay. I too had the same update, just that you need to crawl to get you past Gundya.
Your post # 8 motivated me, but I pressed the pause-button after reading your post # 9. Member Amruth's post at #11 was not encouraging either. I was worried, due to, years of reading so much negatives about the Shiradi Ghat section.

Once my daughter's exams were over, 'I read, re-read and re-re-read your post #8'. AND ... it released the "pause button" [clap] . We thoroughly enjoyed the two day's trip.

Top Bottom