Hyderabad to Chennai / Pondicherry (Puducherry)

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

My native is Pondicherry (Puducherry). Now I work in Hyderabad. I have to travel to native as and when it is required. I planned to travel every 3 months once along with my wife and 6 years old daughter.

I'm looking for a route with good roads, hotel facility, safe route and some visiting places on the route.

[MAP]Hyderabad to Pondicherry[/MAP]

Google suggest these 3 routes. I'm open with any change in route.

I did my onward journey from Pondicherry to Hyderabad with the following route.

Pondicherry - Tindivanam - Arcot - Chittoor - Madanpalle - kadri - kurnool - Mahabubnagar - Hyderabad

But not satisfied with this route because of
1. Total KM is more the other options
2. Not having god food joints or relaxing area.
3. To many curves on road
4. Mostly 2 lane road without divider
5. I hope not much interesting area's to see on the way.

Thread Starter #2
As our plan changes to make combine day & night driving. Being a travel enthusiast, I changed my travel plan. On the way to my native I decided to visit some sightseeing places to make it memorable.

This is our route plan after doing some minimum research.

Hyderabad ORR - Mallepalli - Nagarjuna Sagar - Ethipothal Water Falls - Thirumella - Addanki Road - Ongole - Nellore - Chennai - Pondicherry.

Planned to start by 1PM and complete the Day journey before 7PM to reach Addanki Road. After 7PM to drive on National Highway.

Slide1.JPG

As usual we got delayed due to various reasons and reached Hyderabad ORR by 3 PM. We stopped in ORR near Airport for 30 Mins to have our packed lunch. Daughter has enjoyed very well by seeing the flights coming to Airport.

We reached the Nagarjuna Sagar dam enjoyed the view and some photography.

Road condition: Road condition is in acceptable level. Some of the places diversion and road broadening works were going on. Lot of speed breaker (scientific & pot holes) ensure you don't drive more than 70 - 80 KMPH. Ghat road is also properly laid in some places looks like a single lane road.

Slide2.JPG

After nagarjuna saar visited Ethipothalla Water falls. A very good falls, I recommend you to visit the falls if you passing by this road. Single lane Road condition is good to reach water falls area from the main road. Only 10KM from the main road. Parking space is not a issue near falls.
BY the time we leave water falls it become 7PM. Area become so dark.

Driven thru the combination single lane, two lane and pot hole road to reach Vanikunta on the way to Venukonda Road.

From Vanikunta, I have to take diversion to reach Addanki Narketpally State Highway to take National Highway.
The red highlighted load goes thru the rural village. And the road condition is typical rural village road. Very worst road for 10 KM. After that yellow highlighted is single lane road for another 10 KM with good condition. After crossing Thirumella, it joins the state Highway near the tollgate. I forgot the tollgate name area.

Slide3.JPG
After taking the state & National Highway able to maintain the speed of 100+ in Night with some diversion as road work is in Progress. Chennai to Pondicherry the road is excellent.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hi All,

Map

I'm planning to drive to Pondicherry via Kurnool, kadapa on next week. Any updates on road condition will be helpful.
I did this route 21-Oct-2014, I found the road condition is good. Little bit rough patches and road work is going on. But definitely you can go ahead in this route.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
As the Holidays were beginning, planned to go to my native Pondicherry.

This time I'm selecting the below route.
Hyderabad - Mahabubnagar - Kurnool - Kadappa - Rajampet - Renigunta - Thirutani - Arakkonam - Kancheepuram - Pondicherry.
123.jpg

As I did my earlier trip to my pondicherry, I was happy with road condition till kadappa. I know the road condition from Thirutani to Pondicherry also is good with some traffic and slightly damaged roads.

[MAP] kadapa to Renigunta[/map]
If anyone traveled the road from Kadappa to Renigunta, please update the road conditions.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
This Time I used the GQ Road.

Pondicherry - Chennai - Nellore - Ongole - Adanki - Pidugurrala - Nalgonda - Hyderabad.

I'm able to maintain the avg speed of 100KMPH in GQ road. The speed reduces only the village area only.

I had an issue of not getting good food joint for family when I travel back to Hyderabad from Pondicherry.

This time I found good hotel on Ongole for Lunch. Hotel name is Ramya Meals on Ongole city which gives south Indian banana leaf unlimited meals for Rs 70. The Hotel was very crowd even at 2:30PM. The taste of the food is also good. Parking of car will be an issue.

Another Good hotel on Road in Hotel Amaravathi near Nellore.

Top Bottom