Chennai -> Namakkal This Long Weekend

Thread Starter #1
Hello All:

First things first, I am very glad to be part of this forum.
I have been following the forum for quite some time now. My decision to buy my Grand i10 (Petrol) was a result of extensive research on this community. Thanks a TON for that.

Now to the question. I have completed closed to 1200 KMs in my Grand and am planning a trip from Chennai to Namakkal and back during the 2nd October to 5th October.

Here is what I have in my mind
1) Depart Porur, Chennai at 11:00 AM on Friday, 2nd October. Plan to reach Namakkal at around 5 PM.
2) Return journey – Depart from Namakkal at 11:00 AM on Sunday 5th October and reach Chennai in the evening.

NOTE-
1) I will be travelling with my wife and 2 year old daughter.
2) My Grand will be serviced (1st service) on Monday, 29th September.
3) I do not mind spending extra on tolls as long as the trip can be more comfortable and safe.

Need your advice on which of the following routes is best for me
1) Chennai -> Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Athur -> Salem ->Namakkal
2) Chennai -> Arcot -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri ->Salem -> Namakkal
3) Chennai -> Perambulur ->Thuraiyur -> Namakkal

Thank you and Appreciate all your help in advance.

1) Chennai -> Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Athur -> Salem ->Namakkal
2) Chennai -> Arcot -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri ->Salem -> Namakkal
3) Chennai -> Perambulur ->Thuraiyur -> Namakkal
Option 1: Roads are pretty good with minimum traffic. Only let down is the intermittent 2 lane stretches between Ulundurpet-Salem stretch (but manageable without any issues)

Option 2: I suspect traffic should be high on this route (comparatively)

Option 3: Perambalur-Thuraiyur stretch isn't that pleasing. Roads were not so good as option 1 or 2

I suggest Option 1.

Last edited:
Thiagar,

We Chennai guys are also planning to go for a Trip to Wayanad on 2nd and returning on 5th and we are planning to take ulundurpet salem route. If possible, will meet somewhere on the NH[;)]

Thread Starter #4
Thiagar,

We Chennai guys are also planning to go for a Trip to Wayanad on 2nd and returning on 5th and we are planning to take ulundurpet salem route. If possible, will meet somewhere on the NH[;)]
Hello AppU!

Will be great if our lines cross. Mine is a Grand i10 Golden Orange. Let me know if you spot one en-route.
I do not have my TAI stickers yet. Would had been easy to identify if my car had those.
Have placed an order and currently awaiting delivery (fresh stocks yet to arrive).

Wish you a safe and enjoyable trip

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
thiagar will it be safe for a trip after today's sentencing of jayalalitha ?
Hello,

I am hoping everything settles down and the trip is smooth and safe. Things are already fine in Chennai. I have a week more to go and hence I am hopeful that things will be fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care,
Ashok

Please take care of the recent political happenings as you will be driving a new car. I guess Mob Violence damages are not insured for any any car.

thiagar will it be safe for a trip after today's sentencing of jayalalitha ?
Please take care of the recent political happenings as you will be driving a new car. I guess Mob Violence damages are not insured for any any car.
I have driven my Vista(alone) from Vellore to Chennai today. Not found any riots/Blockages anywhere.

Situation seems to be normal. But still the number of buses on Highway was less.

Hello AppU!

Will be great if our lines cross. Mine is a Grand i10 Golden Orange. Let me know if you spot one en-route.
I do not have my TAI stickers yet. Would had been easy to identify if my car had those.
Have placed an order and currently awaiting delivery (fresh stocks yet to arrive).

Wish you a safe and enjoyable trip
We guys planning to start around 4 am and decided to finish our Breakfast at Villupuram along with Pondy members around 7am.

Do let me know your timings!

Thread Starter #10
We guys planning to start around 4 am and decided to finish our Breakfast at Villupuram along with Pondy members around 7am.

Do let me know your timings!
I believe you will be past Salem by the time I start from Chennai.

I am starting at around 11:00 AM from Chennai.

Regards,
Ashok

Thread Starter #11
Had an excellent trip.

Chose this route finally Chennai-> Ulundurpet -> Attur -> Rasipuram -> Namakkal
Was able to cover this distance in 5 hours with a 15 minute stopover at Villupuram.
Excellent road overall with minimal traffic. State highway between Attur and Rasipuram but helped me save some distance and time.

Return trip - Followed the same route. Got Struck at Guduvanchery do to heavy traffic on Sunday late evening. Took 2.5 hours from Guduvanchery to Mambalam.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Hope to have the TAI stickers on for my next trip.

Top Bottom