Bangalore Mysore and What Else?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all, Am planning for a trip to Bangalore with my wife and Kids(7 and 1 years old). Will be landing on 2nd Oct and have booked a zoom (figo) from Airport for self driving. Planning to Visit Mysore (for Dussehra). Not sure of the day coz my little one is not that patient and crowd like that may drive her crazy so may visit by 5th only. My return flight is on 6th from Bangalore. I have booked a resort in outskirts(teverekkare) for these 4 days. (can't take risk with the little one onboard)

Any idea on places that are not to be missed? I think I will visit Hoggenekkal, and Humpi as well on this trip. I think with the rooms boooked I need to visit places that are in drivable distance from Bangalore and return back that day itself(ready to cancel the hotel(the cancellation charges are bearable till last week) the same if some one can advice me an alternate trail with staying option)

Can somebody help me with this since I am totally blind on the route and places to visit. Please try to avoid places with lots of trekking coz either of us need to carry the little one whole way, and maintaining the bigger one in trail is a little difficult as well.

Hampi is way too far to drive with an infant. Mysore one way drive is 3 hours; add 1 hour if you are somewhere in North Bangalore. With an infant, it's impossible to visit Mysore, see places there, and return the same day. Plan for a 2 day stay in Mysore if you want to do sightseeing there. Mysore is expected to be highly crowded as that is the Dasara week. Since you are visiting Bangalore in a work week, avoid entering the city during peak hours (8am-12pm) and (4pm-9pm).

Some suggestions in and around Bangalore which are doable carrying 2 kids:

outdoors:
1. Nandi hills
2. Devarayanadurga
3. Lalbagh
4. Cubbon park

museums&zoos:
1. Viswesaraya museum
2. Bannerghatta zoo

You'll find more in here :
Places to Visit in Bangalore: Check out 194 Bangalore Things to Do - TripAdvisor

BTW, Tavarakere is in the Bangalore City, not outskirts. Can you give more details of your resort ?

When my little one was that age, I only used to visit towns where relatives had homes, as clean water and food are essential for little ones.

Thread Starter #3
Replies in Bold: Thank you for the reply.
Hampi is way too far to drive with an infant. Mysore one way drive is 3 hours; add 1 hour if you are somewhere in North Bangalore. With an infant, it's impossible to visit Mysore, see places there, and return the same day. Plan for a 2 day stay in Mysore if you want to do sightseeing there. Mysore is expected to be highly crowded as that is the Dasara week. Since you are visiting Bangalore in a work week, avoid entering the city during peak hours (8am-12pm) and (4pm-9pm).
Am coming on Oct 2nd(Gandhi Jayanthi, Oct 3rd must be Holiday there as well as it is Dussehra

Some suggestions in and around Bangalore which are doable carrying 2 kids:

outdoors:
1. Nandi hills - Will Go there
2. Devarayanadurga -
3. Lalbagh - Will spend an evening there :) I have been there a 100 times, my wife a couple of times and my elder son once. (it was during a flowershow)
4. Cubbon park

museums&zoos:
1. Viswesaraya museum - I think Kid won't be that interested for that.
2. Bannerghatta zoo - Will be visiting that

You'll find more in here :
Places to Visit in Bangalore: Check out 194 Bangalore Things to Do - TripAdvisor - Thank you

BTW, Tavarakere is in the Bangalore City, not outskirts. Can you give more details of your resort ? ruppisresort.in-Turn off the sound on the top of that website. it is irritating

When my little one was that age, I only used to visit towns where relatives had homes, as clean water and food are essential for little ones.- am taking a kettle and with that packaged drinking water will be my only option.
If possible you can suggest an itinerary. Only thing is that I need to be back in Bangalore by 6th. I'm even ready to cancel my bookings.

I was in bangalore for a couple of years till Sep 2006 - Bangalore has changed a lot after that and those days I wasn't doing much travel, but was a little workaholic, with running to home routines on weekends.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what time do you land in Bangalore on Oct 2. The commute from airport to your resort is 1.5 - 2 hours one way. Resort is good if you plan to spend the day mostly in the resort. Hotels are better if you plan to roam around during the day. But I suggest following itinerary:

Oct 2+3 : City trips: visit Lalbagh (lesser crowds in morning is than evenings). Good to have a stroller for your 1 year old as the space is huge. Cubbon park. If you are a foodie, add some restaurants like MTR (near lalbagh) and Maiyyas (in Jayanagar) for veg. Also several options in city centre (Church Street+ MG Road). If wife likes shopping, MG Road+Commercial street are great as they are expected to be less crowded on these days. If you like to visit religious places, visit on these days.

Oct 4,5,6: Keep for visiting outskirts and avoid the City altogether. Your resort is close to NICE road so you'll have good access both to the south (Bannerghatta road) which has the zoo and the North which has Nandi hills and Devarayana Durga. From your resort, you can enter Mysore road and join NICE road at Kengeri. Take a left on NICE road for northward destinations and right for southern destinations.

If you elect to visit Mysore, start early on 4th (6am departure) and reach Mysore city by 9am. Book a hotel there and stay overnight. See the palace and zoo on 5th morning. See KRS in the evening. Depart on 5th or 6th and directly reach Bangalore airport, again avoiding city center and using the NICE road. BTW, the Mysore zoo is much better than Bannerghatta zoo. And Mysore will have lesser crowd after Dasara on 4th.

Thread Starter #6
Not sure exactly what time do you land in Bangalore on Oct 2. The commute from airport to your resort is 1.5 - 2 hours one way. Resort is good if you plan to spend the day mostly in the resort. Hotels are better if you plan to roam around during the day. But I suggest following itinerary:

Oct 2+3 : City trips: visit Lalbagh (lesser crowds in morning is than evenings). Good to have a stroller for your 1 year old as the space is huge. Cubbon park. If you are a foodie, add some restaurants like MTR (near lalbagh) and Maiyyas (in Jayanagar) for veg. Also several options in city centre (Church Street+ MG Road). If wife likes shopping, MG Road+Commercial street are great as they are expected to be less crowded on these days. If you like to visit religious places, visit on these days.

Oct 4,5,6: Keep for visiting outskirts and avoid the City altogether. Your resort is close to NICE road so you'll have good access both to the south (Bannerghatta road) which has the zoo and the North which has Nandi hills and Devarayana Durga. From your resort, you can enter Mysore road and join NICE road at Kengeri. Take a left on NICE road for northward destinations and right for southern destinations.

If you elect to visit Mysore, start early on 4th (6am departure) and reach Mysore city by 9am. Book a hotel there and stay overnight. See the palace and zoo on 5th morning. See KRS in the evening. Depart on 5th or 6th and directly reach Bangalore airport, again avoiding city center and using the NICE road. BTW, the Mysore zoo is much better than Bannerghatta zoo. And Mysore will have lesser crowd after Dasara on 4th.
Thank you soo much.. I think I will try to follow that. I will try to squeeze mysore zoo. Yeah me and my better half (and the elder kid)are foodies. So we may look for a food trail in karnataka. Ps. We have made plans and driven more than 300 kms one side to have some "food". Is it ok to do shopping in chickpet? And in the brand outlets of marthahalli? I may visit there to see a friend of mine.

Vishnu, look at the below thread. I tried to cover most of the tourism places in Karanataka as base location from Bangalore. It may help you to plan your holidays much better. You can google it for more information of about the places.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/17234-karnataka-one-state-many-worlds.html

Again TAI-gers are available to help you.
Thank you. That is like one list I need to roam around. And I think I need to create a list like that about alappuzha and kochi.

Btw. How about innovative film city? Is it worth going there.

In your list we have been to madikeri. And we drove in our waggy that time. From my place (alleppey) the drive was great and the little one was around 7 months.

Last edited:
Thank you. That is like one list I need to roam around. And I think I need to create a list like that about alappuzha and kochi.
Yes, it is a list to roam around in KA & Blore. If you prepare your alappuzha and kochi list, do share with me.

The feedback which I got was "Total waste of time and Money". Even B'lorians also don't speak about this film city.

In your list we have been to madikeri. And we drove in our waggy that time. From my place (alleppey) the drive was great and the little one was around 7 months.
KA is a one of the good state to travel. Enjoy the travels.

Thread Starter #8
Yes, it is a list to roam around in KA & Blore. If you prepare your alappuzha and kochi list, do share with me.
Sure i will. I have started a blog for that. but is not writing anything for the last one year.. simply paying for domain and hosting :)

The feedback which I got was "Total waste of time and Money". Even B'lorians also don't speak about this film city.
You saved a day...

KA is a one of the good state to travel. Enjoy the travels.
Agree with you. But hate the cops attitude when they see a car with "KL" registered plates. In Kerala cops hardly care if you are TN or KA registered unless you have sufficient reasons.

BTW. Any answers on chickpet and marthahalli.. are they shopable? Commercial street always make me feel like walking through overpriced "commercial" street. last time in Bangalore went to MAX in commercial street and marthahalli and then to brand factory in marthahalli. I bought them all for gifting. What will be the weather in Bangalore like(in Oct)? Should I take an umbrella?

Last edited:
chickpet is a very good marketing place if you are able to find right shop and right person.
Here you will get all the latest fashion for ladies and kids, not that good fashion market for gents.
Commercial street is good if you can bargain hard (not talking about showroom).
I would suggest against Marathali , take your call on this.
Innovative film City is not a "Total waste of Money", but they are expensive ,too expensive. But some item are worth to see. Consider a it as a one time visit.

in Comparison with Mysore zoo and Bangalore zoo, hand down Mysore zoo will be better choice.

Well for Food, Bangalore is one of HUB, depend on your food preference, members can guide well.

Is it ok to do shopping in chickpet? And in the brand outlets of marthahalli? I may visit there to see a friend of mine.
Chickpet has great bargains for saris etc. But don't take your Figo. If coming from south, park the Figo in JC Road multi-level parking and take an auto from there. Marthahalli is one crowded place and not worth visiting. Besides, you can get the same stuff cheap online too these days.

Perhaps worth going once. Your older kid will enjoy it. Land there after 3pm. Before 3pm, charge is 600 per head and after it, 400. Again, a stroller is advised as the place is large.

Thread Starter #11
chickpet is a very good marketing place if you are able to find right shop and right person.
Here you will get all the latest fashion for ladies and kids, not that good fashion market for gents.
- oh yaa.. That shopping, I will dedicate to my wife(I will let her pay the bills as well).
Commercial street is good if you can bargain hard (not talking about showroom).
-Kannada gothilla
I would suggest against Marathali , take your call on this.
- Will avoid

Innovative film City -Consider a it as a one time visit.
-Will check that as well.
in Comparison with Mysore zoo and Bangalore zoo, hand down Mysore zoo will be a better choice.
-Sure, that things will calm down after Dusserah by 5th? If yes, I will be in Mysore
Well for Food, Bangalore is one of HUB, depend on your food preference, members can guide well.
-Haa.. Wish someone gives an idea on dishes that are not to be missed.

Chickpet -don't take your Figo. If coming from south, park the Figo in JC Road multi-level parking and take an auto from there.
- Thank you. Will do that (isn't the Majestic near by? Can I get parking in that area?
Marthahalli is one crowded place and not worth visiting. Besides, you can get the same stuff cheap online too these days.
-how did you know that am an avid online shopper [;)]
Perhaps worth going once. Your older kid will enjoy it. Land there after 3pm. Before 3pm, charge is 600 per head and after it, 400. Again, a stroller is advised as the place is large.
-Will do. Doesn't care for the cost as of now because of the schedule.. - Need to chart these things into one. A stroller is going to be a problem! Will try to adjust with the kangaroo pouch like thing! Hope these places have ample benches/chairs to sit and relax.

For innovative film city check groupon coupons, there is always offers for Innovative film city.
Other places worth visit would be:
- Talakadu
- Shivanasamudra

Innovative Film city has plenty of benches and even a baby feeding room.

For Chickpet, you can try parking at Majestic railway or bus stand but for a newcomer, the one-ways and roads are complicated. I prefer parking either in JC Road BBMP parking lot, Ravindra Kalakshetra or in Town Hall.

Thread Starter #14
Innovative Film city has plenty of benches and even a baby feeding room.

For Chickpet, you can try parking at Majestic railway or bus stand but for a newcomer, the one-ways and roads are complicated. I prefer parking either in JC Road BBMP parking lot, Ravindra Kalakshetra or in Town Hall.
Thank you.

For innovative film city check groupon coupons, there is always offers for Innovative film city.
Other places worth visit would be:
- Talakadu
- Shivanasamudra
I will check and confirm that. Last time when I checked coupons expired in groupon.

Top Bottom