Bangalore To Kundapura Route Suggestion PLEASE!!!

Thread Starter #1
Hello Auto Heads,

Kindly suggest me the Route to Kundapura from Bangalore. My reasearch leads to two routes:-
1. Bangalore -Mangalore Highway Via udupi -- 443 Kms
2. Bangalore- honavar Road Via Shimoga & Thirthahalli --422 kms.

Kindly advise on Road conditions.

Thanks !!!

Hello Auto Heads,

Kindly suggest me the Route to Kundapura from Bangalore. My reasearch leads to two routes:-
1. Bangalore -Mangalore Highway Via udupi -- 443 Kms
- Four Lanes all the way till Hassan and Shiradi Ghats has started going bad due to rains. Post Gundya the roads are good till B C Road. B C road onwards 4 lane and at few places post Udu[i road widening is in progress
2. Bangalore- honavar Road Via Shimoga & Thirthahalli --422 kms.
Single lane from Tumkur till Shimoga and from there the roads are good. Drove in this route last month.
Kindly advise on Road conditions.

Thanks !!!
replies in bold

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Raama for an update. Let me know based on your experience which route to take up as I am going to travel with my Family and would not like to take up the Ghat section by heering the horrid stories. Alos, GC should not be a cause of concern with my Brio with 5 on board.

I travelled to Shimoga few months back and roads were good that time and I would like to know the road condition from Shimoga to Kundapura.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Covered this Stretch of Southern Karnataka during last Weekend.

Day 1:- BLR to hattiangadi. Route followed
BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Kundapura- Hattiangadi
Distance:- 463Kms Road Condition is Undivided double Road after Tumkur. Road is Nicely laid out.

Day 2:- Hattiangadi-Kollur(Mookambika Temple)-Udupi
Distance:- 126Kms Road condition is Good. Kundapura to Udupi is a divided Road, Nicely laid out too

Day 3:- Udupi-Dharmasthala-Sakleshpura-Hasan-BLR
Till Mangalore-Bangalore Highway Road is Good to ok. After that it is Nice drive.

Traveled to Kundapur from Bangalore today.

Route : Bengaluru - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Bhadravati - Umblekoppa - Thirthahalli - Masthikatte - Hulikal Ghat (Balebare Ghat) - Siddapur - Ampar - Kundapura. 435 Kms from my residence.

Condition : I was expecting worst road near and after Ghat section but to my surprise entire stretch is in pristine condition [clap].

Returned from journey

Route : Bengaluru - Channarayapattana - Arasikere - Bhadravathi bypass - Umblebylu - Muttinakoppa - Thirthahalli - Mastikatte - Kundapura - Brahmavara - Agumbe - Perdur - Kundapura - Mastikatte - Hosanagara - Sagara - Shimoga - Arasikere - Tumakuru - Nelamanagala - Bengaluru. Total journey 1218 Kms

Excellent roads throught except

10 Kms Pathetic road between Mastikatte to Nilskal (Mastikatte - Nagara route).
3 to 4 big potholes created near Kadur.
Tumakur Bypass in bad condition.

Top Bottom