A Long Drive From Kolkata to Tirupati

Thread Starter #1
I am planning for a long drive from Kolkata to Tirupati and back to Kolkata. I'll start on 10th May and have to be back by 18th May since can't stretch beyond this due to office leaves et. al.

I have te following plan:

May 10: Kolkata to Araku
May 11: Sight Seeing @ Araku
May 12: Araku to Tirupati
May 13: Puja at Tirupati
May14: Tirupati to Vizag (Vizag Kailasgiri & Submarine museum already visited few months back when drove from Chennai to Kolkata)
May 15: Vizag to Kolkata

But I have 3 more days to spend for this trip. Please help me to plan for some places for sight seeing so that 3 days can be consumed effectively.

Will keep you guys posted about my final plan and also pics/experience of the trip.

Now, I'm thrilled about first ever TAI Kolkata meet on 4th. [:D]

Thread Starter #3
You may visit pondichery which is near about 250 km from tirupati.wish you all the luck for this road trip.[clap]
Good suggestion! However, I have already visited Pondichery when I was working in Chennai. Also, Bhubaneswar is also visited. Any other places to visit? Please suggest me.

^^your plan looks very tight to me and I doubt you wont be able to drive as you have planned, please check with kilometers.

Consider visiting Hyderabad if have spare days

Thread Starter #5
^^your plan looks very tight to me and I doubt you wont be able to drive as you have planned, please check with kilometers.
My plan is to drive < 1000 km per day (driving time 6:00 am to 9:00 pm including small haults)

Consider visiting Hyderabad if have spare days
Thanks! This was not in my list. Planning to visit Hyderabad then. Any other idea?

You can relax more time in Araku.
I doubt you can cover every thing or else enjoy fully with in one day in Araku.

On way from Araku to Tirupathi there are few places to visit

Vijayawada kanakadurga temple - you need to deviate 5 kms from NH. Hardly it needs 1 hour of your time.
Srikalahasti temple - no deviation required it on way to tirupathi. 1-1.5 hours

Both are famous temples but sri kalahasti temple is commercialized due to bad govt officials.

Last edited:
We will discuss more during our meet on 4th May,

BTW -if you are coming till Thirupathi , please extend few more hours of journey and come till Bangalore and meet all members here. [clap]

My plan is to drive < 1000 km per day (driving time 6:00 am to 9:00 pm including small haults)

Thanks! This was not in my list. Planning to visit Hyderabad then. Any other idea?
1000km per day will be hectic and expect the unexpected halts and slow downs

Yes, you need to go via Hyderabad anyway and you could spend a day here to see the possible attractions like Ramoji film city, charminar, golkonda fort and have a meet with interested Hyderabad members[:)]

Thread Starter #10
1000km per day will be hectic and expect the unexpected halts and slow downs

Yes, you need to go via Hyderabad anyway and you could spend a day here to see the possible attractions like Ramoji film city, charminar, golkonda fort and have a meet with interested Hyderabad members[:)]
No. I need not go via hyderabad at all. However, I was also thinking to go to hyderabad during my reform journey from tirupati as this won't increase my travel distance astronomically.

After this suggestion, I've started thinking about it seriously.

Also, I'm putting hyderabad at last to accommodate the unexpected halts and delays.

What do others say in this forum?

BTW, may be my special friend would be in hyderabad that time. In that case, I'll surely cover hyderabad. Otherwise, I will be thinking about other options.

Last edited:
No. I need not go via hyderabad at all. However, I was also thinking to go to hyderabad during my reform journey from tirupati as this won't increase my travel distance astronomically.

After this suggestion, I've started thinking about it seriously.

Also, I'm putting hyderabad at last to accommodate the unexpected halts and delays.

What do others say in this forum?

BTW, may be my special friend would be in hyderabad that time. In that case, I'll surely cover hyderabad. Otherwise, I will be thinking about other options.
who is that special friend ??[;)]

Yes you can go directly to tirupati from araku, but in any one way you can consider it buddy

Thread Starter #14
My Final Trip Plan:

May 10 (Sat): Kolkata to Araku (927 km) starting at 6:00 am
May 11 (Sun): Sight Seeing @ Araku starting a 8:00 am
May 12 (Mon): Araku to Tirupati (840 km) starting at 6:00 am
May 13 (Tue): Darshanam at Tirupati starting at 4:00 am
May 14 (Wed): Tirupati to Hyderabad (553 km) starting a 8:00 am
May 15, 16 (Thu, Fri): Hyderabad Stay
May 17 (Sat): Hyderabad to Srikakulam (693km) starting at 8:00 am
May 18 (Sun): Srikakulam to Kolkata (772 km) starting at 8:00 am
May 19 (Mon): Back to Work

Totally around 4k km including intracity drives for sight seeing etc.

Challenges: This plan stands on the following assumptions to be met -
1. May 10 (Sat): Kolkata to Araku (927 km) starting at 6:00 am
2. May 12 (Mon): Araku to Tirupati (840 km) starting at 6:00 am
All other distances seem to be quite achievable. [glasses]

^^That looks perfect plan man !! yes I agree to those challenges you have mentioned are little tough but, try and see if you can start little more early in the morning if possible.

We will try and see a Hyderabad member meet on 14th or 15th evening. Places of interest for 2 days are Ramoji film city(1/2 day minimum and can be full day too), charminar, birla mandir, hussain sagar, golkonda fort are within the city itself. Will try to assist you as much as possible as I am prepared to leave to Mumbai on 17th evening as I am travelling abroad on 19th from Mumbai. On 16th if you plan city trip it will be breeze as whole crowd will be inside the houses seated in front of TVs to watch the election results and you will have easy empty roads to roam around[:)]

Top Bottom