NH-17 Road Condition Update

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I read in various forums regarding the four laning of NH 17 around Mangalore and other areas. Can any local members or recently toured members update on the present road condition of this stretch.

In what stretches can we expect a 4 laned dual carriageway, or is it still the old two lane all the way?

Hi,

I read in various forums regarding the four laning of NH 17 around Mangalore and other areas. Can any local members or recently toured members update on the present road condition of this stretch.

In what stretches can we expect a 4 laned dual carriageway, or is it still the old two lane all the way?
It’s sad to have received no reply to your queries from other TAI-gers.

I am told that, once you join NH-17, except for some stretches between Ankola and Kundapura especially sround Baindur, the roads are fine. The 4-lane work of Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore stretch is nearly done. Even with some diversions, it shouldn’t be troublesome at all.

NH-17 in Kerala should be fine. Please PM folks like Smooth rider, A R Ram to seek more involvement and information in your threads. Also @Indian should be able to update on roads in and around Mangalore.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
It’s sad to have received no reply to your queries from other TAI-gers.

I am told that, once you join NH-17, except for some stretches between Ankola and Kundapura especially sround Baindur, the roads are fine. The 4-lane work of Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore stretch is nearly done. Even with some diversions, it shouldn’t be troublesome at all.

NH-17 in Kerala should be fine. Please PM folks like Smooth rider, A R Ram to seek more involvement and information in your threads. Also @Indian should be able to update on roads in and around Mangalore.
Thank you manojodungat!

I will try to PM those veterans...

The stretch of NH from kannur to calicut is ok, no potholes. But there will be heavy traffic.you can save time by bypassing calicut city.the bye pass starts at a place after quilandy called thiruvangoor.you have to take a leftturn from.here. its not marked so might miss it. ( a right tirn from.here takes you to kappad beach where vasco da gama is said to have first set foot on malabar coast.

Thread Starter #5
The stretch of NH from kannur to calicut is ok, no potholes. But there will be heavy traffic.you can save time by bypassing calicut city.the bye pass starts at a place after quilandy called thiruvangoor.you have to take a leftturn from.here. its not marked so might miss it. ( a right tirn from.here takes you to kappad beach where vasco da gama is said to have first set foot on malabar coast.
Thank you smooth rider. I have spotted the turn in Google Earth and I have also marked it on the car GPS.

Still can't understand why this NH is not being converted to dual carriageway all this while...

Interesting to know about the association betweem Kappad beach and Da Gama [:)]

Thanks once again...

Thank you smooth rider. I have spotted the turn in Google Earth and I have also marked it on the car GPS.

Still can't understand why this NH is not being converted to dual carriageway all this while...

Interesting to know about the association betweem Kappad beach and Da Gama [:)]

Thanks once again...
Right now the roads in Kerala are fairly good except for the traffic intensity. Got to be more cautious behind the wheels. Keep all the vehicle documents handy as the cops are very stringent.

BTW, by adding little more information about yourself like your location, the vehicle you own etc., others can help you in a better way.

If you are going Ernakulam from Calicut , it is advisable to exit NH-17 at Tavanur Road Jn. Take State Highway 69 (Thrissur - Kuttippuram) upto Thrissur and Enter NH 47 (Four Lane Toll Road) upto Ernakulam. NH17 stretch 'Tavanur Road- Ponnani' and 'Kodungallur - Paravur' are very narrow. Road between Chavakkad and Chettuva is neither wide nor smooth.

the NH 17 in kerala has not been made a 4 lane because the government has not yet aquired the necessary land for the highway authority the reason being a strong agitation by the traders and people who are losing land. kerala govt has requested the NHAI to reduce the width to 30 metres..........[lol] we have unions for everybody so nothing happens here in god's own country[;)] except for scams.........

If you are going Ernakulam from Calicut , it is advisable to exit NH-17 at Tavanur Road Jn. Take State Highway 69 (Thrissur - Kuttippuram) upto Thrissur and Enter NH 47 (Four Lane Toll Road) upto Ernakulam. NH17 stretch 'Tavanur Road- Ponnani' and 'Kodungallur - Paravur' are very narrow. Road between Chavakkad and Chettuva is neither wide nor smooth.
the NH 17 turns right to ponnani after the kuttipuram bridge where as straight goes to Trissur, then on to NH47.

I just drove up and down to Manipal and Back to Cochin. The trip that took us 10-11 hrs earlier now takes 14-15 hrs. Leaving Manipal the surface is mostly good, except that conversion to dual carriage way is not complete. There are intermittent diversions and the road is not marked or lit on the sides, so if you are doing this stretch when it is dark excercise caution. Most vehicles on this stretch drive with the Main Beam on, and dont believe in dipping the lights to on coming vehicles.
Mangalore to Kasaragode, it is a single carriageway, the surface is very patch, with some damaged sections. This is being patched up now and the work is still in progress.
Kasaragdoe to Caliut- the surface is good, but again a single carriage way. The level crossings on this sector have been bypassed, which is a good thing. Traffic on this section is heavy with buses, trucks, autorickshaws and 2 wheelers. Everyone vying for his space, leaves you downshifting constantly. Average speed made good on this sector was about 40KPH.
Most towns between Kasaragode to Calicut do not have bypasses.
If you miss the turn to the new bypass before Calicut at Thiruvangoor( as it is unmarked), proceed as far as West Hill and then turn left. This turn is marked.
From Calicut to Cochin- Exit NH17 at Tavanur Jn. and head for Trichur to connect on NH 47. The surface is good. On the Calicut - Trichur section, it is a single carriage way, and the traffic is heavy.
You will witness atleast one accident and a few near misses. Excercise caution.
The road has toll collection - About Rs100.00 in all

i had got reports that the section between kanhangad to mangalore is heavily potholed. gvurgese can you give me a bit more details as i plan to go to manipal this saturday night by road. i had thought of taking my bolero as the roads are bad if not i can go in my vento.

I can confirm Mangalore to Udupi section is good, almost 4 lanes you would get, but you have to be careful as still road work in progress and anytime the 4 lane becomes two lanes with out any boards.[evil] Issue is traffic, you want to avoid the peak hours. Not traveled beyond that recently.
HTH.

Hello, The surface damage to the road is not really deep pot holes, rather it is peeling off, of the smooth top layer, rendering the rough surface. There are a couple of bridges on which the surface is really bad beacuse all the aphsalt is completely gone. In short your Vento will be able to handle the road easily.

gvurgese thanks for the update. i couldn't get your update in time as i left for mangalore on saturday night 9.3o pm. it was raining heavily and there was heavy truck traffic. the road was hell from kumbla onwards. lots of pot holes which was filled with water. fell into many.the road was smelling like hell too due to the dirty water being let out on to the road by trucks carrying fish. luckily i had taken my bolero. from mangalore to manipal and then onto mookambika the NH was ok except for diversions. the road to mookambika had many pot holes in some sections otherwise ok.

Hi TAI-GER's.

What is the present road condition from Mangalore to Goa / Belgaum? This would be NH-17 / NH-63.

Am in a dilema of driving down to Pune, in the last week on this month. Whether to go directly from hometown (Calicut) via Mangalore, or come back to Bangalore and start the drive from here. [roll]

I would love to take the Coastal Karnataka road, provided the roads are in decent condition, haulting at Gokarna / go further to Goa. I really loved these winding coastal road back in 2012.

Fellow members in and around Mangalore-Udupi-Bhatkal, kindly throw some light.

If not this route, are the other options good enough to have a decent drive?
And which is the ideal one from the 2 options?

Route map.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom