Taxi / Self Drive Suggestions For Delhi To Himachal Tour For a Week

Thread Starter #1
I am planning to visit Himachal Pradesh for a week( Shimla, Kullu, Dharamsala) in June, 2014. we would be 3 of us ( 2 adults + 1 child).

I am pretty excited to see US like Self drive option available from carzonrent (Swift VDI - 1300 per day + VAT). However the number plates will be taxi ones ( black letters on yellow plates, which means more toll, scrutiny etc).

Need some suggestions on whether to go for self drive or hire a taxi.

Self Drive
1. I have driven long distances in South India with family and would love to do the same
2. However , i will need help of google maps in Himachal ( been to Shimla 11 years back)
3. Self Drive car would be relatively new , they told they have only 2012 + models.
4. I am not sure whether their will be any problems with taxi number plates during the way (Tolls would be higher + security checks, taxi unions ? )
5. Will be able to use "Human GPS" since i know hindi well.

Traditional taxi
1. Lot of time available for photography
2. Don't have to worry about diesel, parking , vehicle papers etc.
3. The driver might know the routes better.
4. Will be costlier.

So let me know your suggestions and if its inclined towards Traditional taxi, do let me know reliable operators from Delhi.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I would suggest traditional taxi for complete peace of mind and ample time to enjoy scenery on the move.

taxi plates, esp out of state attracts more cops and legal hassles.thanks.

well it all depends on your mindset. if a holiday means a leisurely, hassle free, pampered days with tummy full of favorite food and drink get a hired taxi. on the other hand you can see all the uncertanties in life and see the real incredible india if you do a self drive and the sense of adventure will be exilerating. you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self drive anyday....

As far as car documents paper work / police checkings are concerned, rest assured the rental companies are well versed with the formalities and will guide you. They should also be a phone call away..

Enjoy

Agree with Chandranath for self drive.

But it all depends upon your interests.

If you opt for self drive make sure that you can pick the car which you feels most comfortable from the available options.

Regards,
Kiran

@ssroadie : May i request you to share your final decision for himachal trip since i am am also thinking of hiring a car for self drive?

Thread Starter #8
@ssroadie : May i request you to share your final decision for himachal trip since i am am also thinking of hiring a car for self drive?
I hired a taxi from Delhi, however experience was too bad. The driver was not comfortable driving in hills and looked scared to drive from Chandigarh to Shimla. We thought maybe he is tired that day.
Next day during Shimla sightseeing, same experience. Finally we asked him to go back and get a local taxi from Shimla for rest of tour. I had to pay him exorbitant amount , since he calculated Shimla to Dehli kms too.

I feel the best way is
1) Drive your own car
2) If not, then go by public transport to main town ( Shimla, Manali etc), there are lot of Volvo's and hire a local taxi, though costly but they will know the local places, permits , time to visit etc.
3) I have no experience of self drives in India, so cant comment. I didn't take from carzonrent just because of taxi number plates, since i would be crossing 4 states and was not sure how toll / state taxes etc will work out

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom