Pondicherry To Tiruvannamalai

Thread Starter #1
Second week of April 2014:
(conditions may change in future)

I went on a trip from Pondicherry (0 km) to Tiruvannamalai (100 km).
I took the route from Pondicherry to Villupuram (40km); then took the Gingee road for about 5 km after which there is a left turn onto NH 234. This route includes Kedar (55 km) --> Kandasipuram (68 km) --> Vettavalam (79 km) --> Tiruvannamalai(100 km).

NH 45A (Pondicherry to Villupuram) - is two lane & without divider. It does have some traffic by day (& lorry traffic if you go by night). This stretch take about 1h 15m to cover 40 km.

The second stretch (NH 234) between Villupuram and Tiruvannamalai (60 km long) is very nice. It is a 2-lane National Highway. The drive is pleasant and relaxed. There are curves at certain places where you need to be careful of oncoming buses. You can maintain constant speeds of 40 to 60 kmph (may be a bit more). Road condition is good. It takes about 1h 30m to cover this 60 km stretch.

Time taken: 2h 55m (onwards) and 2h 47m (return).
This route is better than the Pondicherry Tindivanam Gingee Tiruvannamalai route as of now. The Tindivanam route has a good four lane National Highway upto Tindivanam, but after that the road construction work impedes your movement significantly.

I did not take my camera along to share a few pictures - may do the next time.

Others may share their experiences here of this or alternate routes along with date - so that we can have a real time update of the road condition.
Do we have any other way of checking road condition on websites before leaving on a trip? (As of now we ask friends who have recently used a route).

Second week of April 2014:
(conditions may change in future)

The Tindivanam route has a good four lane National Highway upto Tindivanam, but after that the road construction work impedes your movement significantly.
Couple of years back, I had travelled to Tiruvanamalai from Chennai. At that time, Tindivanam to Tiruvanamalai road was very good. Not sure if they are relaying the roads.

You can try the route Pondicherry - Villupuram - Tirukoilur - Thiruvannamalai.

The Road from Villupuram - Tirukoilur is mix of all condition. Overall length is good road. You can keep up to 70 to 80 KMPH. Need to cross some villages. It's totally a traffic free route. Preferred by KSRTC buses plying from Bangalore to Villupuram.

Thirukoilur to Thiruvannamalai a nice road. Totally a traffic free route with excellent road condition without the divider.

Total KM will be around 105 to 110.

I used to drive/travel often between Tiruvannamalai(native) & Chennai. The stretch upto tindivanam is pretty nice where you can easily cruise 90 constantly but after that the road via senji is pretty narrow and difficult for overtaking maneuvers. I used to take anywhere between 2hr 30min to 3hr 15min for ~200km one way.

Thread Starter #5
The Tindivanam - Gingee - Tiruvannamalai section is still being constructed. It is hoped that it will be very nice once complete.

Villupuram - Tirukovilur - Tiruvannamalai is an alternate option, but I thought it might be having heavier traffic and one of my friends who is native of Tiruvannamalai and uses the Kedar - Vettavalam route preferred it.

KSRTC buses (at least Volvo) still goes via Tindivanam - Gingee - Tiruvannamalai - Chengam (which is very bad and shaky; even in a Volvo - double axle it is very shaky).

You can try the route Pondicherry - Villupuram - Tirukoilur - Thiruvannamalai.

The Road from Villupuram - Tirukoilur is mix of all condition. Overall length is good road. You can keep up to 70 to 80 KMPH. Need to cross some villages. It's totally a traffic free route. Preferred by KSRTC buses plying from Bangalore to Villupuram.

Thirukoilur to Thiruvannamalai a nice road. Totally a traffic free route with excellent road condition without the divider.

Total KM will be around 105 to 110.
If you got time.

Pls read this thread about some good temple on the way.

Pondicherry - Villupuram - Tirukoilur -Thiruvannamalai

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/17129-not-easily-seen-but-exceptional-temples-tamil-nadu-villupuram-dist.html

Top Bottom