Destination Quilon / Kollam

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

We have to attend a function at Nazareth, near Tirunelveli on May 16th. So after the function we thought of visiting Quilon/Kollam and nearby places. (3 to 4 days)

We thought of this route Nazareth > Tirunelveli > Shenkottai > Tenkasi >
Punalur > Kottarakkara > Quilon/Kollam

We would like inputs on the road condition, Budget air-conditioned hotels and also places of interests nearby.

Thanks in advance.

Happy to hear that City is getting ready for trip.

I never been to Quilon/Kollam, hope your trip will help me when I plan for the same destination.

BTW, Here are the few tips from myside. As you are entering KL via ShenKottai. Check, is there water present in Kurtrallam falls. If there is water, go to Old falls and relax yourself from Heat.

Before Entering KLShenkottai, you can spot the Amazing 13 Arch Bridge(Pathimoonu kannara palam ,108 year old bridge at kazhathuruthi). It looks so magnificent. Don't forgot to stop and take pics of the amazing Bridge

At Punallur:
You can buy tasty Chips there, we used to buy the Chips there, while returning from Sabarimala visit.

Thread Starter #4
Happy to hear that City is getting ready for trip.

I never been to Quilon/Kollam, hope your trip will help me when I plan for the same destination.

BTW, Here are the few tips from myside. As you are entering KL via ShenKottai. Check, is there water present in Kurtrallam falls. If there is water, go to Old falls and relax yourself from Heat.

Before Entering KLShenkottai, you can spot the Amazing 13 Arch Bridge(Pathimoonu kannara palam ,108 year old bridge at kazhathuruthi). It looks so magnificent. Don't forgot to stop and take pics of the amazing Bridge

At Punallur:
You can buy tasty Chips there, we used to buy the Chips there, while returning from Sabarimala visit.
Thanks AppU. Since it will be in the middle of May, I do not expect water in the falls.
Yes, that bridge is a must see. and also another hanging bridge on the way. I will remember to buy Chips at Punallur.

As Appu told, u can Visit Punalur. On this way to Trivandrum U can glue to nature at Thenmala. Great Place. Thenmala Ecotourism -- See this link.
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=t...hLMWlrQeZiAE&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=629 --- View this link too

Then u can visit Ponmudi too.

If you are interested to change the route route to Trivandrum/Kollam via Marthandam u can spend a day in Poovar with natural backwater boating.
Thanks for your inputs, ASIR. Yes, Thenmala is on the agenda. I am in the process of gathering info on Thenmala.

For Ponmudi, I will have to take a deviation from my original route. As of now, we have no plans to visit Trivandrum.

Don’t stay in Kollam. Instead, drive to Varkala via Paravur road, about 40 km. Though not yet experienced personally, it’s one place you would never want to miss out. I am planning to visit that land of backwaters, beaches + cliffs this July.

Thread Starter #6
Don’t stay in Kollam. Instead, drive to Varkala via Paravur road, about 40 km. Though not yet experienced personally, it’s one place you would never want to miss out. I am planning to visit that land of backwaters, beaches + cliffs this July.
Thanks manojodungat! That sounds like a good option. Let me gather more info on Varkala.

If you can get a copy of Mathrubhoomi YATHRA magazine Jan-Feb 12, you can get all info with pics, route maps, places of interest, stay etc of Kollam.

Thread Starter #8
If you can get a copy of Mathrubhoomi YATHRA magazine Jan-Feb 12, you can get all info with pics, route maps, places of interest, stay etc of Kollam.
Thanks Rajeshmurali. I was able to find a copy with limited accessibility in the net.

So far, I have thought of these places:

Thenmala
Shenduruney Wildlife Sanctuary - The Dharbhakulam trail, Kallar trail and Kuttilappara-Choodal bird watching trail,
Suspension Bridge
Thenmala Dam,
Palaruvi Waterfalls
Rosemala

Munroe Island
Ponnumthuruthu island varkala
Kappil beach
Paravur lake
Ashtamudi lake

We would like to to a canal cruise on a small boat through the interior canals in any place nearby. I guess I will have find out locally.

The time of the year, I guess will be off season due to the heat.

Thread Starter #9
The itinerary is slowing taking shape. Let me know if I need to add or remove anything.

Day 1 - Nazareth to Thenmala SH 39, around 130 kms, 3 to 4 hours. Night halt @ Thenmala

Places to visit/things to do:

16 piller Bridge
Elevated walk way
Butterfly Safari Park
River flow view point
Otttakkal Look out
Deer park
Musical fountain
Kallada Dam
Shenduruney Wildlife Sanctuary
Kuttilappara-Choodal bird watching trail
Kallar trail
The Dharbhakulam trail
Suspension Bridge

Day 2 - Finish sight seeing @ thenmalai and leave for Varkala, around 75 kms, 2 to 3 hours. 2 night stay @ Varkala

Varkala beach
Ponnumthuruthu island
Kappil Beach
Boat safari @ Kappil
other local attractions - TBD

Day 4 - leave for Munroe island Kollam, around 45 kms, 1 to 2 hours. 2 night stay @ Munroe island

cannoe cruise - Munroe Island
other local attractions - TBD

Day 6 - Return back

We thought of this route Nazareth > Tirunelveli > Shenkottai > Tenkasi >
Punalur > Kottarakkara > Quilon/Kollam
Though I don't have any inputs for you, but like to follow this thread as "Punalur" is my native place. [:D]

AppU - Is that the bridge with a bend and railway track over it? Many films been shot over it, Murattu Kaalai for one? That's an amazing one to see. But how is the view from Roads? I always have been over it as I had traveled only by train.

At Punallur: [/B]You can buy tasty Chips there, we used to buy the Chips there, while returning from Sabarimala visit.
Of course yes. Don't forget those spicy Mixture as well and share your return dates for me to receive you [;)][lol]

Last edited:
AppU - Is that the bridge with a bend and railway track over it? Many films been shot over it, Murattu Kaalai for one? That's an amazing one to see. But how is the view from Roads? I always have been over it as I had traveled only by train.
Please check the Pics in this below thread. I've taken some pics of the Bridge while returning from Sabarimala, couple of years ago.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ong-spritual-trip-vista-qj-vx.html#post242674

Here are the few day light pics of the Bridge, which I took from Google.

Yes, as like you said, So many films had been shoot here.

13Arch_Bridge_View_1.jpg

18tvm_punalur_JPG_68125f.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/10879-vellore-sabarimala-long-spritual-trip-vista-qj-vx.html#post242674

Mid May is peak summer in Tirunelveli and Kerala. Be prepared to carry lot of water.

No chances of drop of waters in Courtallam definitely.

You can visit Karaiyar/Papanasam/Agasthiyar falls. This is in between Tirunelveli and Tenkasi, if you haven't visited them. You need to take a boat to Agasthiyar falls. Dam might be low on water, but will have definitely for boating. Other places to visit is Tirumalai Kovil near Shencottai. It is a beautiful temple in hill with very good roads.

Thread Starter #13
Though I don't have any inputs for you, but like to follow this thread as "Punalur" is my native place.
So, you should be the right persn to give some inputs about Thenmala.

That's an amazing one to see. But how is the view from Roads? I always have been over it as I had traveled only by train
The view from the train is very beautiful as shown in the second picture that AppU has posted. Especially if your boogie is towards the back.

Of course yes. Don't forget those spicy Mixture as well and share your return dates for me to receive you
Will definitively share the return date. Sadly we will not enter Bangalore as we now stay in Hosur.

Please check the Pics in this below thread. I've taken some pics of the Bridge while returning from Sabarimala, couple of years ago.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ong-spritual-trip-vista-qj-vx.html#post242674

Here are the few day light pics of the Bridge, which I took from Google
That is a great bridge AppU. Hope to get some good shots of it.

Mid May is peak summer in Tirunelveli and Kerala. Be prepared to carry lot of water.

No chances of drop of waters in Courtallam definitely.

You can visit Karaiyar/Papanasam/Agasthiyar falls. This is in between Tirunelveli and Tenkasi, if you haven't visited them. You need to take a boat to Agasthiyar falls. Dam might be low on water, but will have definitely for boating. Other places to visit is Tirumalai Kovil near Shencottai. It is a beautiful temple in hill with very good roads.
Thanks for the inputs, rekharam.

It sure will be hot, but we can't avoid it as we anyway have to go for the function. We plan to take a lot of ORS liquid and, of course, a lot of water.

This trip, we have planned to skip all the waterfalls and focus only on thenmala, and the water bodies of kerala.

Excellent AppU. Yes, now I remember seeing that road too. It's a breathtaking view.

So, you should be the right persn to give some inputs about Thenmala.
Though it's my native, I have been only a visitor there. [:D] So, not really updated about those places.

Will definitively share the return date. Sadly we will not enter Bangalore as we now stay in Hosur.
Oh, you mean, you moved to Hosur? [surprise]

Top Bottom